Gone hitching

• After almost a year of being homeless on/off and much thought Ive decided to embark on a pretty cool adventure across the country by means of hitchhiking, and freight hopping where necessary. I have several railroad maps for the country and the states I will be traveling through.

While I know this could possibly be the worst experience of my life, I think it could potentially be the best. In the event that I do go through with this, I will be traveling with 1-2 people my age (I’m 19), both of which share common ideological views with me.

I gave up the life of consumerism some time ago and have absolutely no problem sleeping outside, dumpster diving food or going without cleansing for extended periods of time. My major concerns are having fun and living. I want to cross the beautiful skyscraper-free endless fields, swim in every lake/river in my path, camp out in the mountains of Colorado, lounge worry free on the beaches of SOCAL, go to some awesome shows in East Bay, smoke some great Northern California bud, do some tree sitting in Oregon, etc etc etc. All with no worries other than ‘where do I want to go next?’.

This adventure starts here in Florida and we will be traveling mostly through Central and West America with our first “stop” being Colorado. While I would truly want to return here to my friends, seeing as they’re all I have, all 3 of us have different plans after the summer. I’m planning on doing this for no more than a year or two, afterwards I’ll probably come back and buckle down, returning to my studies. Person B wants to come back for sure, and person C is undecided.

Comments, concerns, suggestions and input of any kind is very welcome.

tl;dr, let’s talk about worry free hobo living, adventure, traveling about the land with no real destination, etc  :walk:

• After almost a year of being homeless on/off and much thought Ive decided to embark on a pretty cool adventure across the country by means of hitchhiking, and freight hopping where necessary. I have several railroad maps for the country and the states I will be traveling through.

While I know this could possibly be the worst experience of my life, I think it could potentially be the best. In the event that I do go through with this, I will be traveling with 1-2 people my age (I’m 19), both of which share common ideological views with me.

I gave up the life of consumerism some time ago and have absolutely no problem sleeping outside, dumpster diving food or going without cleansing for extended periods of time. My major concerns are having fun and living. I want to cross the beautiful skyscraper-free endless fields, swim in every lake/river in my path, camp out in the mountains of Colorado, lounge worry free on the beaches of SOCAL, go to some awesome shows in East Bay, smoke some great Northern California bud, do some tree sitting in Oregon, etc etc etc. All with no worries other than ‘where do I want to go next?’.

This adventure starts here in Florida and we will be traveling mostly through Central and West America with our first “stop” being Colorado. While I would truly want to return here to my friends, seeing as they’re all I have, all 3 of us have different plans after the summer. I’m planning on doing this for no more than a year or two, afterwards I’ll probably come back and buckle down, returning to my studies. Person B wants to come back for sure, and person C is undecided.

Comments, concerns, suggestions and input of any kind is very welcome.

tl;dr, let’s talk about worry free hobo living, adventure, traveling about the land with no real destination, etc  :walk:

• You are going to be raped by crazy homeless people.

• And nothing of value was lost.

• Good luck out there. Let us know how it went when you get back.

• Since it doesn’t seem like you want to really prepare and pack much of anything, I would regardless, recommend taking medication for common things like cold, fever, painkillers, stuff like that, and a crank flashlight, if available. Also some kind of basic survival guide that’ll tell you how to deal with possible accidents and conditions like heat strokes, frostbite, etc. along your maps.

With that said, this is still a pretty dangerous idea, but whatever works for you I guess.

• i’m going to try to get a cheap digital cam or at least a disposable one to get pictures of this trek

@ Deadly One: Thanks man, I hope to keep this thread updated with pics etc, so I’ll do that when I can

@ CS: That is a catchy tune. This is the wrong time to be taking a cross country trip in a car, sadly.

@ Aylor: I’m bringing a backpack with me, packed with goodies and necessities of all sorts… but no medicine.

@ Stud: Funny thing is just last weekend I got offered a blowjob and $10 when I was out in Pensacola

• You give blowjobs for $10?

Speaking of jobs, have you considered getting one?

• Make it up to Alaska and live in the wild.

• Since you are going to be running about, you can steal and deliver for us.

• Good luck out there. Don’t let assholes here get you down. Try doing some urban exloring of abandoned buildings. There’s some real beauty in abandoned, lonely places like that.

• @ Deer: Read my post again and realize I said I got offered a blowjob and $10. Speaking of jobs, I’ve held a job before. Why even ask?

@ Koolala: It’d be nice to make it to Alaska, but hey I’m not chris mccandless

@Dr. H: While I try to always think the best of people, the truth is that there will always be assholes. But yeah, urban as well as natural exploring are at the top of my list.
    I’ve decided to also bring a journal of sorts, to archive my daily activities on the road

• That’s pretty damn cool. Best of luck.

@Slayre:

@ Koolala: It’d be nice to make it to Alaska, but hey I’m not chris mccandless

Guy’s a fucking badass. I assume he was a partial inspiration for this whole thing?

• Brad Carter Jr.

• @Slayre:

offered a blowjob and $10.

Why would a guy pay you to let him suck your dick? That seriously makes no sense.

• Chris McCandless was a mindless person, inspired by non other then Anarchist Henry David Thoreau.
    I hope he is not your inspiration cause you do know what happened to him right?

• He made it to alaska?

• Why can’t people just get jobs, contribute to society, and lead meaningful lives like the rest of us?

To think… we’re writing this loser a welfare check every month.

• @ Strat: While he wasn’t my primary inspiration, he did amplify my curiosity.
    @ CS: Desperation, above all else.
    @ AlC: Yeah he died, and whats the big deal about him being inspired by Henry David Thoreau?

@ Deer:
    @Deer:

Why can’t people just get jobs, contribute to society, and lead meaningful lives like the rest of us?

To think… we’re writing this loser a welfare check every month.

oh a pathetic troll attempt, let me respond to it anyway

1. already held a job for a couple years
    2. contributions to society are both positive and negative to the welfare of society
    3. “meaningful”: try using a more subjective word next time
    4. the welfare check comment is dumb, i’m only doing this for a year or so.

face the facts; meeting new people and exploring the wilderness is fun  :unicorn:

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.