New Skybox?

• CSS skyboxes aren’t doing it for my map.  I want to use sky_halloween from tf2 (see http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List) but I’m using CSS to make my map.  I’m basically going for a dark night with a big moon.  Everything is too bright as of now.

I’ve also tried making my own with a skymap generator (program name escapes me at the moment) but the howtos and readmes haven’t helped a bit.

How do I get custom 2D skyboxes and skyboxes from other games to work?

Also, what do I do to make the map as dark as possible?

• CSS skyboxes aren’t doing it for my map.  I want to use sky_halloween from tf2 (see http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List) but I’m using CSS to make my map.  I’m basically going for a dark night with a big moon.  Everything is too bright as of now.

I’ve also tried making my own with a skymap generator (program name escapes me at the moment) but the howtos and readmes haven’t helped a bit.

• @theforkofjustice:

but I’m using CSS to make my map

What? If you mean “I’m testing the map with CS:S” then the answer is obviously “Don’t test it with CS:S”.

@theforkofjustice:

I want to use sky_halloween from tf2

You better pakrat it.

@theforkofjustice:

I’ve also tried making my own with a skymap generator

If it’s Bryce then don’t use it, the results are painful to look at.

@theforkofjustice:

Put them in the directory of the game you use to test your map or pakrat it every time you recompile.

@theforkofjustice:

This is going to sound silly but add lights and remove any ambient lighting.

• Okay so I extracted the sky_halloween vtfs and vmts using gsfscape and put them in the cstrike/materials/Skybox folder and then did a buildcubemaps in both mat_specular 0 and 1 and that got rid of the checkered pattern we love so much.

It works.  I see the new skymap and it is good.

SpaceScape was the name of the skybox generator.  http://sourceforge.net/projects/spacescape/
    Don’t have to worry about it since the sky_halloween one is pretty much the same thing as the one I made (makes me wonder if Valve used it.  Uncanny resemblance).

CSS is the default testing program.  I’ll run it in gmod when its good and done and I have pakratted it (when I learn how to pakrat).

Got rid of the env_light and gonna continue making it darker now.  I added lots of lights and spotlights over the months I have been tweaking this thing and its about time I thinned some of them out.

• Keep in mind, if your map’s reflections are purple/black and you build cubemaps, the secondary reflections (reflected reflections) will still be purple/black.
    It all depends on how many times you want to build cubemaps.

Middle Of Nowhere suffered the same problem, I built cubemaps twice.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.