Help my monitor is dying

• When I turned on my monitor today, it turned on for a split second, turned back off, turned back on for a split second… about 10 times before staying on. I have had a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW for the past three and a half years and it has never given me any trouble before. I am sure it’s not the backlight because the power led turned on and off as well and for the split second it was on, I could see the input source info box each time it turned on. Any advice?

• When I turned on my monitor today, it turned on for a split second, turned back off, turned back on for a split second… about 10 times before staying on. I have had a Samsung SyncMaster 206BW for the past three and a half years and it has never given me any trouble before. I am sure it’s not the backlight because the power led turned on and off as well and for the split second it was on, I could see the input source info box each time it turned on. Any advice?

• The Computer Monitors in my school is doing the same, and it’s the cables fault.

• My digital camera has had this problem for 6 years…. it still has the problem.

• How helpful…
    I should also add that it’s not the cable. When I tried it without the cable, it did the same thing. Normally it would display a box that says “no input” or something like that.

• I think he means the power cord, too much bending or stress on an end of it can cause that, if it’s one of those triple pronged ones, replacing it shouldn’t be a problem, if that doesn’t work, then it may be internal damage, perhaps from a power surge?

• Is it doing this every time you turn it on?

It might be a capacitor that has dried out or popped.

• Probably that. A quick google (should have done this first…) shows that sometimes capacitors in the internal power supply can bulge/pop. Shouln’t be too hard to fix.

• Would it be the VGA cord if an lcd monitor sometimes goes pink randomly for a second or two?

• Depends what you mean by “goes pink”. If it’s solid pink then no, if it’s pink-tinted then yes (though it would be unusual).

• Yes it is a tint of pink which varies from very light (hardly noticeable) to very pink.

• Cables were the first thing I checked. It is not them. Also I opened it up to take a peek inside and a few of the capacitors on the power supply seem a bit bulged.

• With your monitor problem, it seems to be an easy check for you. as for me, I have no spare VGA cables, and it only rarely and randomly goes pink. So I couldn’t take them off and just leave it running and see what happens.

Do you frequently move your monitor? Or touch the cables?

• My SyncMaster193v has worked and still works. Its been 5 years.

• @Someone:

Cables were the first thing I checked. It is not them. Also I opened it up to take a peek inside and a few of the capacitors on the power supply seem a bit bulged.

Put a picture up of them. If they are bulging the biggest chance is that one or more of the capacitors isn’t smoothing and making the flickering happen until the other capacitors is charged and smoothing.

• I’ve been using a BenQ 1280 x 1024 monitor for over 5 years and it still works as if it was brand new.

• @Geranyl:

I’ve been using a BenQ 1280 x 1024 monitor for over 5 years and it still works as if it was brand new.

OKAY

• I found an HP laptop that exhibited the same problem. All I did was take it apart and disconnect then reconnect the lcd. Im assuming the previous owner bent the lcd back too far. It ran gmod nicely.

Im guessing its an capacitor issue.

• You should really buy a new one.

• Yay I fixed it. $5 at radioshack is much better than $150-$200 for a new one.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.