An easier way to make map instructions

• I was thinking back to when i was making maps like checkpoint, and I was thinking how annoying it was to have to make a fuckton of point_zsmessage entities when making timed instructions, or other things.

Would it be possible to have a system, whereby each map can also have a “subtitle” file that is named the same as the map? Inside the file a sort of markup could be used, eg:

[wave1]
    0:00; all; welcome to objective map!
    0:10; all; go to the bathroom for the best cade spot!

[wave2]
    0:05; zombies; kill the generator to advance!
    0:05; humans; protect the generator!

[wave3]
    etc…

With objective maps becoming a trend, this would save a whole lot of time and make maps easier to follow with more instructions.

• I was thinking back to when i was making maps like checkpoint, and I was thinking how annoying it was to have to make a fuckton of point_zsmessage entities when making timed instructions, or other things.

Would it be possible to have a system, whereby each map can also have a “subtitle” file that is named the same as the map? Inside the file a sort of markup could be used, eg:

[wave1]
    0:00; all; welcome to objective map!
    0:10; all; go to the bathroom for the best cade spot!

[wave2]
    0:05; zombies; kill the generator to advance!
    0:05; humans; protect the generator!

[wave3]
    etc…

With objective maps becoming a trend, this would save a whole lot of time and make maps easier to follow with more instructions.

• logic_waves

• What about maps that don’t use the wave system?

Take Modesty’s map, Pharmacy for example. Since Pharmacy doesn’t use waves, if it were to use this system, how would it be able to use it?

I would think you would already have a explanation for this, I’m just saying that some objective maps (if they were being made) would probably not be using waves.

• If it were on objective maps you would put the point_zsmessage on advancement points in the map.

• Maybe i’m misunderstanding something, but don’t you make a point_messagehuman (or whatever) and give it inputs of  "OnSomethingHappened –> point_messagehuman --> Message --> “Message goes here”

In other words you don’t need a fuckton of point_zsmessage entities, you use the same one over and over with many inputs.

• This is true, though the hammer interface is far from good. Plus to have a sound play every time text comes up, you need to code that in aswell. Instead you could have a “sound” parameter in the script, or possibly a color one, formatting, etc.

To make it more flexible, you could add an entity that calls a script from the subtitle file. EG.

sub file:

[getcores]
    0:00;all;cores are now unlocked
    0:05;all;get your team to the core room

[failure]
    0:00;humans;You have failed to get the cores
    0:05;humans;You will be punished

ENTITY: point_writezsscript
    Input: CallScript “getcores”

etc… I haven’t mapped in a while, so i might be getting some stuff mixed up. Hope the above explains what i’m trying to get at.

• We don’t need to complicate something that’s already simple.

• True, it’s simple. But it’s also incredibly clunky. Making instructions is a huge chore, and especially when you add the sounds, and when hammer decides to crop all of your sentences with commas for some reason.

ZS entities that control the game are already quite advanced. However, i think mappers would appreciate an easier dialogue system.

• It’s already as easy as it’s going to get.

• By your command.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.