AI War: Fleet Command

• The official story: http://pastebin.com/4i5pxA0s

TL;DR version:

AI War is a 4X (Think Civ) by Arcen Games and your opponent is, obviously, an AI (it’s impossible to play against players, AFAIK). You might be thinking “Oh it must be really really easy then”. Nope, it’s not. And it’s not lamely hard either. On most difficulties, the AI pretty much just sits on its ass and waits for you to threaten it, only attacking your base(s) if you piss it off (don’t do that or the match will be very short). It’s very strategy-oriented and the only real way to play this is to take your time (even though it’s real time gameplay) and plan ahead.

If you don’t own it, the price might turn you off (20 bucks) and quite honestly I’d wait for it to be on sale if I were you, but if you’re willing to shell out the full retail price for it, you won’t be disappointed. Do try the demo first, however, as AI War isn’t the kind of game anyone can play.

It isn’t very popular as the devs expect their customers to advertise for them or something, but it’s good nonetheless. It’s even better when you play with people, however there’s no matchmaking (might be a good thing in this case), the official forum is a ghost town and I can’t find any active Steam groups for it, so if you have AI War, post here and we might get a game going.

Some people (me) can’t get the game working properly through Steam. Just get the standalone version or go to “\Steam\steamapps\common\ai war fleet command” and launch it manually if the problem affects you. Looks like it’s fixed?

• The official story: http://pastebin.com/4i5pxA0s

TL;DR version:

AI War is a 4X (Think Civ) by Arcen Games and your opponent is, obviously, an AI (it’s impossible to play against players, AFAIK). You might be thinking “Oh it must be really really easy then”. Nope, it’s not. And it’s not lamely hard either. On most difficulties, the AI pretty much just sits on its ass and waits for you to threaten it, only attacking your base(s) if you piss it off (don’t do that or the match will be very short). It’s very strategy-oriented and the only real way to play this is to take your time (even though it’s real time gameplay) and plan ahead.

If you don’t own it, the price might turn you off (20 bucks) and quite honestly I’d wait for it to be on sale if I were you, but if you’re willing to shell out the full retail price for it, you won’t be disappointed. Do try the demo first, however, as AI War isn’t the kind of game anyone can play.

It isn’t very popular as the devs expect their customers to advertise for them or something, but it’s good nonetheless. It’s even better when you play with people, however there’s no matchmaking (might be a good thing in this case), the official forum is a ghost town and I can’t find any active Steam groups for it, so if you have AI War, post here and we might get a game going.

Some people (me) can’t get the game working properly through Steam. Just get the standalone version or go to “\Steam\steamapps\common\ai war fleet command” and launch it manually if the problem affects you. Looks like it’s fixed?

• Sounds interesting, I’ll try the demo and give it a try.

My problem with RTS games is that I always go to slowly, so if you’re supposed to take your time with this I might be good at it.  :uglylaugh:

• You might want to play the tutorial a few times to make sure you have a good grip on the thing.

I realize that I haven’t explained how the game works. Here it goes: When you start a match, you select AI types (passive, creator, aggressive, annoying…), difficulties and a number of planets in the system (Can be 10, a hundred or anything in between). Each variable greatly changes how you have to play the game. Why? Because you’re the last strand of humanity and almost every other planet has been “colonized” by the AI. Your goal is to reconquer the planetary system and destroy your foe. You can’t be too aggressive or you’ll probably notice that a few thousand enemy ships are headed towards your home planet.

The graphics and the interface are very simple. Favor videos over screenshots before concluding that “Oh this looks cool”.

• I remember seeing a video of this somewhere that gave a good viewpoint of the game.  It seemed interesting.

here is the video that I saw for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO125KMoVjE

• It’s kinda like that but with 20 minutes of micro attacks and resource management between each clip. At least the music is good.

• Tried it, pretty neat. I’ll try it a bit more later and I’ll probably get it, seems like it would be fun with friends.

And by “fun” and “friends”, I mean “Impossible” and “people blowing up AI stations for their own gain every two seconds.”

Still, I’d like to try multiplayer.

• I’m in.

I haven’t had anyone to do co-op with in AI War for awhile now.

Are we going to use any expansions?

• I have the first two expansions and I might get Light of the Spire. If every player we get has them too then yes, we could play with the expansions.

Anyone looking to buy it should do that through Impulse where you get 10% off by using the coupon code “Survey2010” (Valid as of today).
    Also, I have an extra copy of the game (expansionless) that I bought on accident while it was on sale, a while ago. It’s still not activated so I could gift it to somebody via Steam, preferably in exchange for something.

• I definitely at least want the vanilla. Seems like a good game. I don’t have anything to exchange with you, Zetanor, (Over steam at least) but if you’re not going to do anything else with it I’d be interesting in the extra copy.

• Downloaded the demo and will give it a try.

• Really the only time I think this game is fun is when you have barely sufficient defense and the AI is trying to hit everywhere at once. Otherwise it’s a boring grind.

Of course I haven’t played with other players yet…

I have the base game + first expansion.

• They added a Defender gamemode in the Spire of Light expansion.

All you have to do is survive for a set amount of time to win. It’s nice to have games that don’t require 8+ hours to finish.

• I went ahead and bought it. So should we organize some specific time to play a game? We could all get on mumble, too.

• I should be free on Saturday night (after ~22:00 EST) and most of Sunday (before ~20:00) if you guys want to set a game up. Add me on Steam or message me through Groups whenever you’re free.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.