The dangers of ESD

• Okay. So on a scale of 1 to 10, what is the likelihood of electrostatic discharge actually damaging your computers components?

Reason being is that I was talking to a guy about building my own computer and he was like “OH GOD WAIT BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING make sure you wear cotton gloves, anti-static wrist straps, and don’t work on carpet floors because they increase static buildup in your body!”

Freaked me out a bit (the guy) but now I’m wondering: Exactly how likely is it that ESD will affect my components? What do you guys recommend I do when I build my computer?

• Okay. So on a scale of 1 to 10, what is the likelihood of electrostatic discharge actually damaging your computers components?

Reason being is that I was talking to a guy about building my own computer and he was like “OH GOD WAIT BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING make sure you wear cotton gloves, anti-static wrist straps, and don’t work on carpet floors because they increase static buildup in your body!”

Freaked me out a bit (the guy) but now I’m wondering: Exactly how likely is it that ESD will affect my components? What do you guys recommend I do when I build my computer?

• You touch something metal like the case before working. That’s it. Anything else is stupid.

• I always touch my power supply. My case is too flimsy.

• Unless you rub around on a carpet in a fleece overall and directly touch a ungrounded ic, mosfet, opamp etc then you probably won’t have any problems. just touch a grounded part before you start and don’t directly touch any of the onboard components. I work on computers and electronics everyday and esd has never ever damaged anything.

• i always work on carpet, no static problems.

• You’re going to fry a component some day.  ESD isn’t some myth.

• I’d say take some precautions, such as leaving the it alone for a while after running power through it/ or whatever. But no need to go the whole 9 yards. Be especially careful should you choose to run the computer with the casing off to see if components work in harmony.

• @Pyramid:

You’re going to fry a component some day.  ESD isn’t some myth.

yeah it’s not a myth, but it’s not something you really need to be worried about

• When I built my computer, I was standing on a carpet, operating on a table-top surface. Wearing socks. I have since then, added and removed several video cards, several hard drives, and removed and installed a different processor as well. Never had any problems. So pretty much all you have to worry about is this:

@nailspy:

Unless you rub around on a carpet in a fleece overall and directly touch a ungrounded ic, mosfet, opamp etc then you probably won’t have any problems. just touch a grounded part before you start and don’t directly touch any of the onboard components. I work on computers and electronics everyday and esd has never ever damaged anything.

• Regardless of how rare or common ESD on your computer parts are, touching the metal inner case each time your about to touch a part is all that is necessary.

• It’s impossible to take your case apart without actually touching your case. It’s just a ploy for companys to make money.

• @Heavy:

It’s impossible to take your case apart without actually touching your case. It’s just a ploy for companys to make money.

:action-smiley-060:

• a while back, a long while back, there was this one time where i thought i fried my motherboard because of this static electricity nonsense.

4 years later i realize that i tried to make my ddr2  ram motherboard work with ddr3 ram.

“huh?? why doesn’t the ram fit all the way?! damnit i really want that extra 526 mb’s though. IF ONE SIDE CLIPS IN IT SHOULD BE GOOD ENOUGH RIGHT?”

“what? baby no! NO BABY NOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!”

that’s what happened. i lost my first love and best friend simultaneously that day.

• The only time you have to worry about ESD is when you’re at a gas station.

Professionals say that ESD damages countless amounts of hardware, but it’s not hard to ground yourself.

• The nastiest thing about this is, even if your component still works directly after you’ve had a static discharge on it, it can actually cause the component to fail months, even years later because of corrosion being initiated by the initial discharge. But yeah, as JetBoom said, just grab the case or ground yourself in some way or another.

• If you have a metal screwdriver, just hold it and poke the ground.

• Oh and I guess I never had to worry about this as my cases have always been all metal. So it’s impossible to not touch the metal when I have to open it.

• Yeah, just make sure you don’t rub around on carpet or something while your handling them.
    Also, may I ask what your avi is from?

• Yes you may ask.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.