What has happened to ZS?

• Here is me risking getting completely flamed…but hey, bring it on

This is in no way a go at how ZS is run because the work and effort that goes into updates i know is very good.

But i want peoples opinions on what has gone wrong, whether you believe the players have gone, that humans rarely win, the maps are bad? Whatever you think i’d like to know and i’m sure some others would too because really, if we don’t bring up why people say “oh ZS is shit now” then how will ZS become any better.

Could i get your opinions?

• Here is me risking getting completely flamed…but hey, bring it on

This is in no way a go at how ZS is run because the work and effort that goes into updates i know is very good.

But i want peoples opinions on what has gone wrong, whether you believe the players have gone, that humans rarely win, the maps are bad? Whatever you think i’d like to know and i’m sure some others would too because really, if we don’t bring up why people say “oh ZS is shit now” then how will ZS become any better.

Could i get your opinions?

• ZS works for me, I just think that it is getting a little stale.
    I also think that it is a little difficult to plan out where to cade, and it is a bit of a mad-rush to get to where the more experienced players cade before you are locked out (although that is also part of the fun).

I really don’t have a problem with ZS, I just find RTP and TTT more forgiving.

• The amount of effort needed to build a barricade is extremely bad, especially when there are a swarm of players playing baseball with props. Few people actually build them now and maintaining a barricade is also difficult. When 5 people are behind a barriacde and are attacking one zombie only 2 people will get the points and in some cases 1 person. This is repeated until they resort to “Cade humping” because there is no ammo left or cant afford more ammo/better gun. Roughly 20% of the people in that cade will have enough to buy ammo and better guns, usually the pros. Then comes the odd griefer who will destroy the barricade and ruins everyones fun. It’s at the point where anyone outside of a barricade in the corner of the map has a good chance of surviving longer than the barricade even through wave 3 at times. Because humans always lose before or during wave 4-5.

• Banned

HUMANS
    Sit in one room for 30 minutes.

ZOMBIES
    Walk to the cade just to get killed for 30 minutes.

• im afraid i have to agree with kolmio, but atleast RTP has players all the time

• I’m not trying to compare ZS to Teamplay Fish, but i guess sitting and waiting is one reason why people don’t enjoy it any more, is it the crate that has done it?

Idealy what i would love is a map where humans can fall back or move about the map to new cade spots (for example spots which open per wave) but people picking up the crates, turrets, nailing things, it all slows things down. Do we want more movement?

• Personally I think its the players, the maps aren’t so much to blame, but if were all complaining we should make some maps. I just wish I could learn Hammer :cry:

• @Deathfire54:

Personally I think its the players, the maps aren’t so much to blame, but if were all complaining we should make some maps. I just wish I could learn Hammer :cry:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

• It feels a little stale when you play a map where every time you join everyone else is eagerly waiting for you to join them in that one room that everyone barricades for the rest of the map like the entirety of the map feels wasted just to go to this boring concrete room with a heal charger on the wall every single time.
    It gets sort of fun when that changes and another location in the map is barricaded, usually if its successful everyone on the server remembers it and tries to replicate it over again for wins and then it becomes boring again.

Glad I saw that obj_pharmacy map today though, if there were more maps like that then I’d consider playing more often yet it still needs a little tweaking before it’s ready it seems and more maps.

• Probably psychology-based. People like to feel that they’re rewarded and make a difference to the outcome. In the old days, a cade of 5 guys could hold out for a time - prehaps not survive, but definitely hold their ground. Nowadays a cade of 10 guys gets mauled in 3*(number of remaining nails) seconds. You as a player don’t really make much of a difference to the human team. And people tend to get punished for winning - if a map gets won, it gets removed/more entrances added*. If players favor melee weapons, an anti-melee zombie is added to wave 1. If people seem to be winning, zombies get buffs.

But on the flip-side, it’s very easy to make a difference as zombie. A good player who goes zombie can very easily get four kills. If a good player volunteers as zombie, the map has a very low success rate. You make a difference. And you don’t get punished.

Anyway, I think all of this coalesces together and makes people apathetic about winning or something.

*I mean why the hell did the_pub get destroyable pillars, it already had like 20+ entrances.

• Enter match
    Try to build cade
    Idiots get in the way
    Wave 1 begins
    Everyone cadehumps
    Many deaths and emotes later, wave 4 begins
    Die

Over and over and over.

On top of that, lack of creative maps (like Modesty’s pharmacy map) make the gamemode incredibly repetitive. I wouldn’t mind losing as much if there was some god damn variety.

• The solution is simple, more objective maps, even though everyone said they were stupid a few months ago.

• Anyone who got to play the groundhog day of Pharmacy would agree they are not stupid.

• @MeatShake:

The solution is simple, more objective maps, even though everyone said they were stupid a few months ago.

objectives map is the funnyest shit ever.

and btw Zs has really gone down-hill the last months.

• Lasted until into 2 minutes of wave 6 on the pub last night with 40+ players. Too bad half the team caded themselves into a room on the second floor.

We were doing really well too.

• Building a cade is effort because players lack common sense. If some one with a hammer is trying to move a prop…. get to the back of the room and let them. Also people grabbing nails when they don’t have a hammer.

• I vote players, they are bad. (though they’ve usually been)
    The regulars who know how to do things don’t play any longer. Not sure why, possibly because the other players are bad.

This may have to do with GMOD’s community of young children more than anything

• I like how they all migrated to teamplay.

• I enjoy the updates, less space between allocated nails perhaps to encourage a stronger cade and slightly reduced cost of Aegis barricade kit. Also, perhaps a little twist to Chems that when a player shoots the chem, only he/she gets damaged (along with props) in the explosion, or other such ‘punishments’ for being detrimental to the teams survival. However this thread is of course not for suggested changes.

All in all the game is a lot of fun, it’s supposed to be hard to win as humans; you only get one life(ish). Charging the zombie spawn and repeatedly gibbing them is not the object of the game, it’s to survive as a group in a barricaded location.
    If you are ‘bored’ inside the cade you are perhaps ither not contributing to the survival of the team by going AFK/spamming chat with emotes (etc) or were silly and bought only a loadout which is useless inside a barricade.

Also, you do not need to always be in the same spot, with a little creativity a good team can choose a number of locations in each map and survive. A little planning goes a long way.

It’s tough with new players and such, however we were all new once to the game, why not instruct them?  Some do not listen and continue to be stupid, but I like that (to an extent) for this reason; you’re always going to have people panicking or making rookie mistakes, it adds a little bit of randomness to the round.

If indeed they are griefers, they usually get kicked and/or banned. The admins are well on top of that as is the community, reporting exploiters and fools with solid evidence.

You want an aggressive round with lots of spawning and killing, go Zombie. You want a tactical round where your forced to work with a mostly random number of other players to achieve a difficult win, go Human.

If you have suggestions regarding in game balance, post them in the suggestions forum, that’s what its there for. I’m sure you old timers and new guys alike have some cool ideas, why not post them?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.