Music/Instrument Interests

• No one has yet to make a thread about instruments they play, how long you’ve played them (or how good you are at them), and instruments you may pick up or think are fairly cool.

Primarily i started off with Piano which i’ve been playing for eleven years
    My piano is a black upright Yamaha; i’m not sure right now on the model and will post pictures of the actual model later on.

four years later i picked up the Alto Saxophone and have on and off been playing it for seven years (it does not require constant practice and less complex than the piano[relatively] and therefore to maintain a high skill level on the instrument requires little work.

This model is similar to mine (another yamaha instrument)

Three years ago i switched to Trumpet due to a lack of Trumpet players in band class

(I’ll post pictures of the actual model soon; again i don’t have it with me)

A few months after trumpet i decided i wanted to learn a string instrument and since the guitar my sister left behind when she went to college was less than adequete i decided to buy an Ukulele after i saw one at a local instrument store.

Lanikai Lu-21 (unheard of quality for an instrument that costed merely $70)

Earlier this year there were too many Trumpet players and i once again switched instruments for the sake of the ensemble in order to expand my playing basis; the new instrument being baritone; Due to me leaving this in my band locker; I cannot have the model for a few days and can’t post pictures just yet.

And the most recent addition; added a week before Christmas (Instruments are leased to stores and become cheaper near the end of the year) I decided to buy a Martin classical string backpacker guitar. ( my reasons for picking are the strings [extra lights] are easier to manuever on and the light weight,strength and durability that comes with the backpacking model. along with a somewhat different and mellower sound.

Currently I’m looking at concertinas; trying to find a non diatonic chromatic model

Here’s an example of a Concertina

Post pictures of your instruments details on them and your practice of them. Instruments you may learn, what you like about the ones you already play, any wisdom related to the instrument family or model and such.
    (If you don’t play an instrument but make music on programs give an example, or discuss genres you like and why. [ but don’t fill your posts with a bunch of stupid youtube links])

• No one has yet to make a thread about instruments they play, how long you’ve played them (or how good you are at them), and instruments you may pick up or think are fairly cool.

Primarily i started off with Piano which i’ve been playing for eleven years
    My piano is a black upright Yamaha; i’m not sure right now on the model and will post pictures of the actual model later on.

four years later i picked up the Alto Saxophone and have on and off been playing it for seven years (it does not require constant practice and less complex than the piano[relatively] and therefore to maintain a high skill level on the instrument requires little work.

This model is similar to mine (another yamaha instrument)

Three years ago i switched to Trumpet due to a lack of Trumpet players in band class

(I’ll post pictures of the actual model soon; again i don’t have it with me)

A few months after trumpet i decided i wanted to learn a string instrument and since the guitar my sister left behind when she went to college was less than adequete i decided to buy an Ukulele after i saw one at a local instrument store.

Lanikai Lu-21 (unheard of quality for an instrument that costed merely $70)

Earlier this year there were too many Trumpet players and i once again switched instruments for the sake of the ensemble in order to expand my playing basis; the new instrument being baritone; Due to me leaving this in my band locker; I cannot have the model for a few days and can’t post pictures just yet.

And the most recent addition; added a week before Christmas (Instruments are leased to stores and become cheaper near the end of the year) I decided to buy a Martin classical string backpacker guitar. ( my reasons for picking are the strings [extra lights] are easier to manuever on and the light weight,strength and durability that comes with the backpacking model. along with a somewhat different and mellower sound.

Currently I’m looking at concertinas; trying to find a non diatonic chromatic model

Here’s an example of a Concertina

Post pictures of your instruments details on them and your practice of them. Instruments you may learn, what you like about the ones you already play, any wisdom related to the instrument family or model and such.
    (If you don’t play an instrument but make music on programs give an example, or discuss genres you like and why. [ but don’t fill your posts with a bunch of stupid youtube links])

• I also used to play the sax, i think it was when i was around 9-12 years. i was pretty good for my age, i even got the notes right in my first shot at a song once, and my teacher told me none had done it before. i have a hard time remembering the exact names of the different buttons, but im pretty sure i would be able to pick it up again if i wanted to.

• Used to play the violin when i was younger but got bored of it.
    I am learning the bass currently to have something to do.

• I learned drums a few years ago and I am still learning guitar.

• I can play drums, but I’m still learning. I started about a year ago but never had a drum set of my own until recently.
    My camera’s busted so I can’t get a picture of the set I have, but this photo I googled is pretty close. Same brand and such. Pretty standard drum kit with the essentials, all of the drums are wooden. It has a big ride and tiny splash to go along with it.

Playing guitar is something that has recently caught my attention and I hope to start learning that when school gets out or so.

• For several years I’ve wanted to learn piano, so my sister gave me her Casio since she never played it, but whenever I sit in front of it, I lose every bit of interest I once had. Then whenever I hear piano being played publicly, I get interested again, and the cycle repeats. I’m at the point now where I know the major C chord and scale and don’t feel like progressing, even though I know that piano is pretty much THE instrument to learn if you are interested in music. A little more than 5 years ago I picked up the guitar (post pics later) and am now proficient at it. I love it because it’s a sloped-shoulder dreadnought, so it has a more mellow tone than square shouldered ones, plus the wood is simply gorgeous, and the overall theme of this guitar is true vintage, from the open gear tuning machines to the decorations of the headstock to the very plain looking (aka vintage) bridge. Looking to replace the bridge pins also. My genre interest used to lie in classic rock and classical, but now it lies in blues, bluegrass, bossa nova, jazz, and folk. I am also improving my singing voice. Occasionally I will open up Ableton Live and fiddle with creating various drum loops and chord progressions, but honestly I don’t know enough about the program to make anything notably good sounding, so for the past couple months I’ve been pirating tutorials etc etc and am having loads of fun with it. (and Ableton is another good reason to learn piano) Another thing is, I’ve been entertaining the idea of learning harmonica to go along with my guitar but I can’t be bothered with that shit because of the same reason as the piano. Plus I need a harmonica holder if I really want to do it.

Also KillerBee how do you like your backpacker? Is the intonation alright? I don’t care how bad the tone is as long as the intonation is at least near perfect. I’ve been thinking about buying one for busking.

To anyone who wants to learn a new instrument: It is LOADS easier and WAY more fun if you have a few (or one) friend doing it with you sometimes. It should keep your interest level up and eventually keep you hooked. I learned guitar because in middle school my friends picked it up and I thought it was interesting so I bought one and we played together every morning before school. We discovered shit together and discussed songs and collaborated on how the song was played and blah blah blah. It was fun.

• Started playing piano when I was about 7 years old. From there I moved on to several instruments, trumpet, violin and guitar. I spent about 2 years on trumpet in middle school band, turned to violin for about a year then picked up my first acoustic guitar (Ibanez model pf5).
    After about 2-3 years playing guitar, I started getting in to digital music, mainly Drum and Bass, electro house, dubstep, and have experimented with chiptunes, minimal, and other styles.
    About a year ago I bought a midi keyboard, the Axiom 61.

I use this with my studio program Ableton Live 8.
    This year for Christmas I bought another digital instrument/tool, the Akai APC40

This thing is amazing, programmable in python, modified it to work as a step sequencer. (See example video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wu7OUvK-bY)

A few of you here have heard my demos, and I appreciate your feedback. It helps me progress my sound.
    This is a demo of a track I’ve been working on, keep in mind, that channel is only used to get opinions from people on my demos. I have no full releases on there. http://livestre.am/yJJM Out of all my demos and such, I am proud of this one this most.

• I usually use Famitracker with my Casio 465 keyboard to play misclaneous stuff, Great keyboard running on a genuine chiptune software:

• I’ve never tried famitracker, but I have heard a bunch of people praising it. I use Plogue for chip emulation.

Though I guess I will give famitracker a try.

• I play drums, guitar and the fiddle
    I’m kinda badish at guitar, and fiddle i’m starting on it, and learning abit of drums too.
    terrible at fiddle

• @Slayre:

….Another thing is, I’ve been entertaining the idea of learning harmonica…

Also KillerBee how do you like your backpacker? Is the intonation alright? I don’t care how bad the tone is as long as the intonation is at least near perfect. I’ve been thinking about buying one for busking…

The sound from the backpacker i could only describe as a bit more shallow; but far more mellow than an average guitar. Probably the second best instrument i’ve bought for the price i got it at (end of year) $200 without tax (benefits of taking trumpet lessons in that store and meeting/befriending the manager.)

And I think your idea to learn harmonica is fantastic; i don’t have any friends with hohner products but i spent a day looking around at harmonicas and decided when i get one i’d get a Hohner Chromatic one with plenty of range( you best too or else you’ll feel horrible about your key and range limits later on). If it asks you to pick a key for the chromatic pick C major because that’s what guitars and pianos are at(even though it really doesn’t matter so much)

http://www.hohnerusa.com/index.php?36

PS a guitar has just over 3 octaves of range. So i’d recommend getting a higher class harmonica

• @Slayre:

Occasionally I will open up Ableton Live and fiddle with creating various drum loops and chord progressions, but honestly I don’t know enough about the program to make anything notably good sounding,

I can help you out a lot, I use ableton religiously.

• Famitracker is really good

• Play Keyboard from time to time, own a Yamaha DX-7 and a micro-korg. Only do 80’s.

• I don’t really play anything, haven’t played unless guitar and keyboard counts at short music lessons.

I’m fairly interested in them and might just learn playing the guitar.

• Own 3 Guitars, 2 are Ibanez and I will put pics up later
    One is Acoustic, The Second is Acoustic-Electric, and the Third is Electric
    I also have a amp, don’t know the brand, I guess I’ll check and I have a really decent foot pedal.

I have a Piano as well but that is what my Dad plays and I actually want to start learning how to play an accordion.

• What type of accordion?

• That is a good question, If you want to help me narrow down to decent-good accordion’s or give me more info, cause I just started having an interest and desire to start learning how to play an accordion last week.
    After thinking about It, I decided I would rent an accordion for a week or 2 and see if I like how it operates and then decide if I want to buy one.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.