Problems with Wireless N Router

• I installed the Wireless N Router like the manual said, connected my parent’s pc (PC1) to it using an Ethernet cable and connected my pc (PC2) which is upstairs using Power Line Communications (Internet over the electric lines).

The problem is that PC2 doesn’t recognize the network it’s connected to and isn’t allowing me to access the internet. I checked my router and it confirms that PC2 is connected to the Wireless N Router. How can I identify this network to PC2? I’ve already searched the official website and read the manual.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this…

• I installed the Wireless N Router like the manual said, connected my parent’s pc (PC1) to it using an Ethernet cable and connected my pc (PC2) which is upstairs using Power Line Communications (Internet over the electric lines).

The problem is that PC2 doesn’t recognize the network it’s connected to and isn’t allowing me to access the internet. I checked my router and it confirms that PC2 is connected to the Wireless N Router. How can I identify this network to PC2? I’ve already searched the official website and read the manual.

I’m a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this…

• I normally just run network wizard.

• Powerline networking has been around for a while, I believe the first devices were available around 2002. The current standard is pretty much on par with wireless networking as far as speeds and performance go. I haven’t used it myself, but reviewers seem to like it overall.

More on topic, I’m having a bit of trouble picturing your network layout. If the diagram below is wrong, feel free to edit it with Paint or something as I might be totally off.

Edit: I just realized you might be referring to broadband over power lines, but I wasn’t aware of any large-scale deployments.

• @Zincoshine:

why do you need to connect cables when its wireless?
    Oh wow, they started commercializing this? I heard its very noisy so expect lots of lag.

Laptops, cellphone, digibox, etc… I just want everythin connected to the same network so the devices can commmunicate.

Duff, that’s the setup.

• I’ve had lots of problems with Wireless N…  there’s so many different things that could be wrong.  Can’t really tell unless I’m checking out your configurations. =\

• Are there any metal objects, magnets, or pools of water in your house?

If so, remove them immediately.

• Get DHCP sorted on your router and have your PCs set to receive the dynamic IP -

IPoPL should be completely transparent, but check they aren’t doing any routing.

Can you do ipconfig on all computers and tell me whether they are dynamic or static too.

If you’re on static IPs (why would you be be - it’s a waste of time to set up when you’ve got more than 1 network device at home) make sure on the same /24 subnet as the router (192.168.1.x (only the last number of the IP address changes) unless you’re being difficult). set the default gw to the ip of the router, 1 DNS to the IP of the router and 1 DNS to 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 (as a backup, or if your router doesnt run recursive DNS)

Duff, nice Visio.

• Like asciid, I was thinking  one of the powerline adapters has a routing function, which is conflicting with the Wireless N router. The powerline adapters should just be functioning as transparent network bridges. If I recall correctly, properly configured the bridges shouldn’t be assigned IP addresses by DHCP. Given his (self-admitted) inexperience with networking, I doubt any of his PCs have static IPs.

Typhon, what brand/model are the powerline adapters and router?

I love Visio for making diagrams and doing up floor plans. When I take the time to do one up (like my own network diagram) they can turn out looking very nice and easy to read.

• Router: Dlink Wireless N Router dir 635
    Powerlines: Topcom Powerlan 200 85 mbps

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.