A Common Problem with Medics

• Hey everyone, I recently just got back into playing Zombie Survival for the first time in about a year and I must say I think the changes that have a been made have been excellent. I’ve been playing around with the ability to buy different weapons & tools and have played as a medic for several rounds now. While I was playing as a medic, I noticed that the majority of medics on the server followed the same strategy that wasn’t necessarily constructive.

The combined effect of the “Good Doctor” honorable mention and the ability to select your loadout has bred quite a few new would-be medics; you usually see anywhere from 2 to 5 every round. The problem that I often find is that by wave 4 (assuming we make it that far), almost all of these medics are out of healing points. The cause of this is a “medic rush” to get enough health points for an arsenal upgrade or the “Good Doctor” honorable mention. What ends up happening is that medics just heal anyone who gets hurt early on, humping the cade, generally being an idiot, ect. This in and of itself is a problem, since healing these guys is usually a waste seeing as they will die long before the cade itself fails. Then, all of a sudden it’s wave 4 and there are a bunch of people who are not only alive when they probably shouldn’t be, but also used to having a medkit heal them everytime they get a bruise.

This creates a steep, sudden difficulty change as idiots who have been kept alive quickly get finished off and become zombies. Now, all the team advantage from the medics are gone because everyone who has been healed is now dead. The only advantage left is given to the medic in the form of arsenal upgrades despite his greedy strategy. Now, I really don’t have any suggestions on how to fix this problem and make medics conserve their health so I posted this here instead of suggestions. If anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems with medics, post them here I guess.

• Hey everyone, I recently just got back into playing Zombie Survival for the first time in about a year and I must say I think the changes that have a been made have been excellent. I’ve been playing around with the ability to buy different weapons & tools and have played as a medic for several rounds now. While I was playing as a medic, I noticed that the majority of medics on the server followed the same strategy that wasn’t necessarily constructive.

The combined effect of the “Good Doctor” honorable mention and the ability to select your loadout has bred quite a few new would-be medics; you usually see anywhere from 2 to 5 every round. The problem that I often find is that by wave 4 (assuming we make it that far), almost all of these medics are out of healing points. The cause of this is a “medic rush” to get enough health points for an arsenal upgrade or the “Good Doctor” honorable mention. What ends up happening is that medics just heal anyone who gets hurt early on, humping the cade, generally being an idiot, ect. This in and of itself is a problem, since healing these guys is usually a waste seeing as they will die long before the cade itself fails. Then, all of a sudden it’s wave 4 and there are a bunch of people who are not only alive when they probably shouldn’t be, but also used to having a medkit heal them everytime they get a bruise.

This creates a steep, sudden difficulty change as idiots who have been kept alive quickly get finished off and become zombies. Now, all the team advantage from the medics are gone because everyone who has been healed is now dead. The only advantage left is given to the medic in the form of arsenal upgrades despite his greedy strategy. Now, I really don’t have any suggestions on how to fix this problem and make medics conserve their health so I posted this here instead of suggestions. If anyone has any ideas or has had similar problems with medics, post them here I guess.

• Points scale by who you’re healing. If you heal the guy with the most points on the team then you get more points. Healing some chucklefuck sledging zombies in the gas gives you almost nothing. Either that or you get less points for healing the same person over and over.

• Points scale

Hallelujah, problem solved

• Yep, sounds great. Hopefully people will realize the scaling over time and stop giving health to every idiot humping the cade.

• What about healing the nail repairman who had to fix a terrible cade?

• What’s that?
    You’re repairing or making a barricade?  You had to remove and fix props done by the stupid-but-not-griefing people?

Suck it second class citizen no health for you.

• How about you just stop being useless cunts and heal people who deserve it?

• But ok

• Medics want to have fun too and shoot zombies. Not just stand at the back of a cade and wait the whole round for injured players.

• Why is this even being brought up as a gameplay issue? If anyone’s that bent on having a personal doctor then there’s this cool thing called having friends to work together with in game.

• Think about why most people heal anyone they see with the medkit. The medkit allows you to get a t2 pistol without using any ammo and without putting yourself at risk of getting hurt/killed. This comes at a cost of not having the medkit later in the game to save the fool who got bit by a poison crab. Perhaps give bonus points for healing an active nail repairman, saving a person from poison death, or healing a person who hasnt been hurt in a while. Perhaps have it so people have a “cooldown” timer for how many points you get for healing them. So if you heal the guy hugging the cade with the sledge, you get fewer points than if you healed the guy who has 200 points and just got damaged for the first time.

• @PureJeenyus:

Medics want to have fun too and shoot zombies. Not just stand at the back of a cade and wait the whole round for injured players.

Add a pop-up crossword puzzle every time you want to heal someone.

Really though, asking for players to use a med kit properly- is like asking to solve the humping problem. The next update that will have tips on every tool on-screen will probably solve this somewhat.

• As a usual medic I only heal people who are useful to the team. I will never go out of my way to help some reckless idiot chasing zombies with a melee weapon.

• @Dent:

Why is this even being brought up as a gameplay issue?

It’s not really a gameplay issue, more a community one. People just need to be smarter with medkits, I guess. Also, it would earn them more points if they were, apparently.

@Leaf:

I will never go out of my way to help some reckless idiot chasing zombies with a melee weapon.

That’s part of the problem to though. I mean, obviously you don’t want to save the idiots who are going to get killed, but most medics refuse to leave the safety of a cade or group of humans to actually save lives. Sometimes their only motivation to heal people is to get a tier 2 weapon, not to help anyone but themselves, and that just doesn’t seem right.

• A community issue? This comes to mind.

@JetBoom:

So what should I do, ban people for not surviving?

• @SgtMako:

That’s part of the problem to though. I mean, obviously you don’t want to save the idiots who are going to get killed, but most medics refuse to leave the safety of a cade or group of humans to actually save lives. Sometimes their only motivation to heal people is to get a tier 2 weapon, not to help anyone but themselves, and that just doesn’t seem right.

Personally I heal whoever is more likely to make our team win, not to get advanced weapons faster.

• Yeah pretty soon it’s going to be Survival: Math Edition, with NoxiousNet ZS server favorited on a Gmod installation sent to daycare centers around the world.

“KIDS, Whoever gets highest points gets ice cream :)!  Stephen pick hammer class since you’re not getting ice cream anyway, your parents want you to follow your diet.”

still better than being dead by wave 4 with a server full of idiots 90% of the time.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.