Dream Game

• Instead of bothering Zetanor, I typed up in a notepad file what I would want in my “dream game.” A lot of this is rambling and redundant, some ideas aren’t fleshed out. A lot of this would probably be terrible in practice.

Basically, I’d like to play a combination of the savage series and heroes of newerth that is completely player skill based, has maps the size of mmorpg landscapes, feels like an FPS, and has a server system like in source games.

• Played with mouse and keyboard
    • Stand alone game.
    • One time fee. I don’t care if it’s $60. No micro-transactions, no subscription fees.
    • Has servers system and browser like in TF2, CS:S, etc. Looks nicer than just a pop up window, however.
    • Has a good engine. Doesn’t look like shit. Everything feels fluid. Doesn’t feel like mount & blade or savage 2.
    • Doesn’t matter if server crashes because everything is saved
    • Swords, sorcery, and steampunk fantasy themed.
    • Is a competitive, multi-team game
    • Amazing map editor and modability.
    • In-Game VoIP that is so good that there would be no need for vent, mumble, etc
    • Almost never crashes but when it does everything is saved.
    • Factions, etc. all depend on the map. Each map has a different setting and scenario.
    • There would be AI so that players could do survival type games.
    • Number of factions in a map range from 2 to 12
    • Servers can have a maximum player slot of 240
    • Once a player joins a faction, they are bound to that faction until the round ends.
    • Rounds can span multiple weeks or last under an hour.
    • Maps size range from small to MMO landscape sized.
    • End goal of each match/map is to be the last faction remaining by destroying the other factions’ main base. More will be described later.
    • Players play as individual characters in either first or third person. This does NOT have RTS style cams.
    • Class-based
    • There would be tons of classes with more released every so often. Think 60 to begin with.
    • Two main gamemodes to please both crowds:
    • Normal: No levels, no persistent items (i.e. items that add stats or have other effects), classes have fixed stats and select spells available. Think teamplay. This gamemode’s emphasis is more on player skill than time spent playing. This is for people with busy lives who just want to come on an hour or so every other day and contribute to their faction. Players can change class freely. Players are bound to the faction they first join. No restriction on new players. Option to enforce balance so that people don’t stack on a faction and it ends up being 57 vs 2. All money earned goes into the faction pool.
    • RPG: Levels, items, talent trees, the standard fare. Can earn individual money. More spells/skills available to classes. Can’t change class/faction. For the basement dweller. Option to set restriction on joining factions after a % of the players reach a certain level.
    • There are other differences such as how dying is dealt with. In normal, there are respawn times. In RPG, the player must travel to a reviver and do other stuff. In RPG, there are item shops.
    • In RPG, some objectives can only be done at later levels while in normal everything is player-skill based. Some maps might be normal only or rpg only.
    • Ability for players to be able to join a neutral/mercenary faction. This is can be turned off when the game rules are created. Mercs are given bonuses or can be certain special classes.
    • Each map has default (read: recommended) round rules that can be changed.
    • Completely PVP. No safe zones.
    • Each faction has a different name but are otherwise identical.
    • There are buildables. Any class can build. Bases besides the main base can be built and make the main base more difficult to be attacked. There are different levels of bases. There are advantages and disadvantages to having multiple bases, but it is mostly advantageous.
    • The main base is a typical medieval castle. There could be some variety. Non main bases are smaller. There are different types of non main bases. Depends on how far away from other bases they are. Better bases can be built if they’re closer to other bases. Time to build and strength are dependent on type.
    • Making a base just provides locational advantage in that players can spawn there (as well as heal).
    • There is plenty to do in a round, and many of the things to be done vary depending on the map. Basically, in a round, players perform small objectives that help push them towards their long-term goal: being the only faction left.
    • Factions do not gain money over time. Players gain money for their faction by killing enemies, killing neutral monsters, performing map objectives.
    • Factions vote on faction leader. Leaders can assign agenda and things for their team to do. Leaders can be impeached and revoted any time. Leaders can also perform other actions without them being voted for by the majority.
    • Things that faction currency can be spent on: AI mercenaries to attack certain spots, guards, base improvements, buildables (think teamplay deployables), outposts, vehicles.
    • Vehicles are steampunk in style.
    • Buildables are steampunk or magic in style.
    • If not performed by a leader, most actions require a % vote to pass. Players can be voted to have piloting / building privileges. Anyone can get in a passenger seat.
    • Leaders can ban people from building and flying or allow them to build / fly without the need for a vote.
    • Voting system in place to stop one person from wasting the team’s money pool.
    • Vehicles are ground, air, or sea. Seafaring vehicles are only allowed on maps with large bodies of water.
    • Main bases have an anti-vehicle buildable by default.
    • Repairing things requires faction money. Anyone can repair.
    • There are plenty of things to do in each map. Think stupid MMO quests except actually fun. In normal, the only potential rewards are things that benefit your faction. In RPG, rewards could be items.
    • Some maps might even have dungeons in them.
    • Objective rewards range from certain merc waves becoming available to a different style outpost to class unlocks (only usable during that round) to an incredibly powerful AI unit attacking an enemy faction.
    • As an example of a map objective: In a 1v1 map where one faction is holy and the other is demonic you have the option to assist a treant / corrupted treant village by destroying your respective side’s enemy. Benefits would include an outpost that comes with its own guards as well as the ability to buy a treant merc squad.
    • When a faction kills another faction, their money is taken and their players are taken as slaves.
    • Map objectives range from harvesting natural resources to killing neutrals to solving puzzles to helping peaceful neutrals to exploring entire dungeons.
    • Tons of maps with new ones being added every so often.
    • Faction bases could be sieged by players alone but going with mercs makes it easier.
    • All content is readily available. The only thing gained by playing is stats.
    • What a player looks like depends on their faction (armor designs, etc)
    • Bases work like pre-built teamplay bases. They are made up of destructible parts. Each base has a core part with a lot of health that has a damage reduction based on the number of other parts alive. Eventually, damage is amplified if enough parts are destroyed. Faction money can be spent to repair.
    • Players aren’t playing the game because they feel like they are working towards something. They are playing it because it is genuinely fun and there’s enough content that it won’t become stale. Commitment to the game depends on the server. Some servers might just be for casual players who want to come on every so often to contribute to their faction. Other servers might be for basement dwellers who want to play all day.
    • Extremely customizable. There are countless game options. Don’t like a certain element? (Voting to build stuff?) Disable it!
    • Deity patronage system. There are various gods in the game’s universe that grant followers certain powers. Think WH40K chaos gods. Some gods are easier to earn favor of than others, some are map specific.
    • Spell / ability selection can be done by hotkeys, teamplay style, or spellbar style.
    • Stuff scales with number of people committed to the factions
    • Doesn’t feel like it’s a grind
    • Measures taken to make things not feel repetitive and tedious

On a related note, I also want to see a well done mario party clone for the PC.

Post your own if you want. None of it has to be possible. Feel free to criticize mine. I might update this from time to time.

• Instead of bothering Zetanor, I typed up in a notepad file what I would want in my “dream game.” A lot of this is rambling and redundant, some ideas aren’t fleshed out. A lot of this would probably be terrible in practice.

Basically, I’d like to play a combination of the savage series and heroes of newerth that is completely player skill based, has maps the size of mmorpg landscapes, feels like an FPS, and has a server system like in source games.

• Played with mouse and keyboard
    • Stand alone game.
    • One time fee. I don’t care if it’s $60. No micro-transactions, no subscription fees.
    • Has servers system and browser like in TF2, CS:S, etc. Looks nicer than just a pop up window, however.
    • Has a good engine. Doesn’t look like shit. Everything feels fluid. Doesn’t feel like mount & blade or savage 2.
    • Doesn’t matter if server crashes because everything is saved
    • Swords, sorcery, and steampunk fantasy themed.
    • Is a competitive, multi-team game
    • Amazing map editor and modability.
    • In-Game VoIP that is so good that there would be no need for vent, mumble, etc
    • Almost never crashes but when it does everything is saved.
    • Factions, etc. all depend on the map. Each map has a different setting and scenario.
    • There would be AI so that players could do survival type games.
    • Number of factions in a map range from 2 to 12
    • Servers can have a maximum player slot of 240
    • Once a player joins a faction, they are bound to that faction until the round ends.
    • Rounds can span multiple weeks or last under an hour.
    • Maps size range from small to MMO landscape sized.
    • End goal of each match/map is to be the last faction remaining by destroying the other factions’ main base. More will be described later.
    • Players play as individual characters in either first or third person. This does NOT have RTS style cams.
    • Class-based
    • There would be tons of classes with more released every so often. Think 60 to begin with.
    • Two main gamemodes to please both crowds:
    • Normal: No levels, no persistent items (i.e. items that add stats or have other effects), classes have fixed stats and select spells available. Think teamplay. This gamemode’s emphasis is more on player skill than time spent playing. This is for people with busy lives who just want to come on an hour or so every other day and contribute to their faction. Players can change class freely. Players are bound to the faction they first join. No restriction on new players. Option to enforce balance so that people don’t stack on a faction and it ends up being 57 vs 2. All money earned goes into the faction pool.
    • RPG: Levels, items, talent trees, the standard fare. Can earn individual money. More spells/skills available to classes. Can’t change class/faction. For the basement dweller. Option to set restriction on joining factions after a % of the players reach a certain level.
    • There are other differences such as how dying is dealt with. In normal, there are respawn times. In RPG, the player must travel to a reviver and do other stuff. In RPG, there are item shops.
    • In RPG, some objectives can only be done at later levels while in normal everything is player-skill based. Some maps might be normal only or rpg only.
    • Ability for players to be able to join a neutral/mercenary faction. This is can be turned off when the game rules are created. Mercs are given bonuses or can be certain special classes.
    • Each map has default (read: recommended) round rules that can be changed.
    • Completely PVP. No safe zones.
    • Each faction has a different name but are otherwise identical.
    • There are buildables. Any class can build. Bases besides the main base can be built and make the main base more difficult to be attacked. There are different levels of bases. There are advantages and disadvantages to having multiple bases, but it is mostly advantageous.
    • The main base is a typical medieval castle. There could be some variety. Non main bases are smaller. There are different types of non main bases. Depends on how far away from other bases they are. Better bases can be built if they’re closer to other bases. Time to build and strength are dependent on type.
    • Making a base just provides locational advantage in that players can spawn there (as well as heal).
    • There is plenty to do in a round, and many of the things to be done vary depending on the map. Basically, in a round, players perform small objectives that help push them towards their long-term goal: being the only faction left.
    • Factions do not gain money over time. Players gain money for their faction by killing enemies, killing neutral monsters, performing map objectives.
    • Factions vote on faction leader. Leaders can assign agenda and things for their team to do. Leaders can be impeached and revoted any time. Leaders can also perform other actions without them being voted for by the majority.
    • Things that faction currency can be spent on: AI mercenaries to attack certain spots, guards, base improvements, buildables (think teamplay deployables), outposts, vehicles.
    • Vehicles are steampunk in style.
    • Buildables are steampunk or magic in style.
    • If not performed by a leader, most actions require a % vote to pass. Players can be voted to have piloting / building privileges. Anyone can get in a passenger seat.
    • Leaders can ban people from building and flying or allow them to build / fly without the need for a vote.
    • Voting system in place to stop one person from wasting the team’s money pool.
    • Vehicles are ground, air, or sea. Seafaring vehicles are only allowed on maps with large bodies of water.
    • Main bases have an anti-vehicle buildable by default.
    • Repairing things requires faction money. Anyone can repair.
    • There are plenty of things to do in each map. Think stupid MMO quests except actually fun. In normal, the only potential rewards are things that benefit your faction. In RPG, rewards could be items.
    • Some maps might even have dungeons in them.
    • Objective rewards range from certain merc waves becoming available to a different style outpost to class unlocks (only usable during that round) to an incredibly powerful AI unit attacking an enemy faction.
    • As an example of a map objective: In a 1v1 map where one faction is holy and the other is demonic you have the option to assist a treant / corrupted treant village by destroying your respective side’s enemy. Benefits would include an outpost that comes with its own guards as well as the ability to buy a treant merc squad.
    • When a faction kills another faction, their money is taken and their players are taken as slaves.
    • Map objectives range from harvesting natural resources to killing neutrals to solving puzzles to helping peaceful neutrals to exploring entire dungeons.
    • Tons of maps with new ones being added every so often.
    • Faction bases could be sieged by players alone but going with mercs makes it easier.
    • All content is readily available. The only thing gained by playing is stats.
    • What a player looks like depends on their faction (armor designs, etc)
    • Bases work like pre-built teamplay bases. They are made up of destructible parts. Each base has a core part with a lot of health that has a damage reduction based on the number of other parts alive. Eventually, damage is amplified if enough parts are destroyed. Faction money can be spent to repair.
    • Players aren’t playing the game because they feel like they are working towards something. They are playing it because it is genuinely fun and there’s enough content that it won’t become stale. Commitment to the game depends on the server. Some servers might just be for casual players who want to come on every so often to contribute to their faction. Other servers might be for basement dwellers who want to play all day.
    • Extremely customizable. There are countless game options. Don’t like a certain element? (Voting to build stuff?) Disable it!
    • Deity patronage system. There are various gods in the game’s universe that grant followers certain powers. Think WH40K chaos gods. Some gods are easier to earn favor of than others, some are map specific.
    • Spell / ability selection can be done by hotkeys, teamplay style, or spellbar style.
    • Stuff scales with number of people committed to the factions
    • Doesn’t feel like it’s a grind
    • Measures taken to make things not feel repetitive and tedious

On a related note, I also want to see a well done mario party clone for the PC.

Post your own if you want. None of it has to be possible. Feel free to criticize mine. I might update this from time to time.

• Your game.
    Pros: Steampunk fuck yeah.
    Cons: Alas, It would be to epic to NOT include some outrageous monthly fee’s.

My dream game?
    Fallout 3’s gameplay and modding community in a

-Cyberpunk/futuristic Setting.
    -Steampunk setting.
    -21th century during a Zombie apocalypse.

With a lot of multiple endings/sidequests/factions/ways to complete quests.

That’s all.

• Sounds like Shadowbane.

• Futuristic FPS where you’re on a civil war fighting robots from some sort of cult alliance shit from somewhere in europe in a game codenamed Project Nemesis where you have a variety of vehicles to travel to Point A to Point B

Best Game Ever.

• Administrators

Sounds like Half-Life 2 with a dumbed down story.

• zombie mmofps

• A megaman game with creative robot masters.

• Garry’s Mod without Source limitations

• Star Wars Galaxies + all expansions + original HAM combat system.

• Administrators

@TheOneFreeVan:

Garry’s Mod without Source limitations

What source limitations?

• Physics mostly

• speaking of steampunk have you played arcanum it’s got a lovely soundtrack and it’s pretty cool yeah you can invent shit

for example you can make a top hat with a lightning orb attached to it that generates a force field

or a tweed suit with a electrical harness that heals you pretty sweet shit nigga

• Administrators

What’s this list for?

• @JetBoom:

What’s this list for?

Duke Nukem Forever design goals.

• I wish they would make a new Shadowrun that wasn’t a complete failure.

• @JetBoom:

What’s this list for?

Rambling, unorganized list of thoughts trying to describe what kind of game I want to play. Zetanor and I were talking and this topic popped up so I gave some thought to it.

• Arcanum is the best game I’ve ever played, it’s pretty much the best RPG that anyone has ever made.

If you pickpocket the blacksmith in Shrouded Hills (first town) you can get tons of good items

The only thing I wish it had was a decent multiplayer

Shrouded Hills
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLNlbrd1Vfg&feature=related
    3:30

• yeah the story’s good steampunk meets magical fucktasy

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.