Bring back Obby and make it a Gamemode platform

• Obby had a lot of potential on it’s core.
    However, It was only used for Obstacle Courses, as the name Suggests, Which isn’t really challenging and fun outside Sandbox Events.

As I’ve said before in some threads, Obby could be a fantastic Garry’s Mod game platform, giving people who have no knowledge in programming or mapping a chance to make their very own gamemode combining both the Level Rules and Level Design.

However it’s core was designed for only Obstacle Courses in mind, but I do believe it could be modified to make people able to make their own Obby based gamemodes.

Other servers might be interested to host Obby based Minigames as they host Fretta minigames, If you get to release it, I recommend you to release in the LGPL license, so whoever modifies it’s core must release the source code, This might give some control into it, Unlike what happened with the extremely unbalanced ZS mods that don’t/won’t share their source.

Add the following options to the Obby Gamerules entity:

Team Based Game (Simply Colour the spawnpoint the colour of the teams, So if there’s a blue and red spawnpoints, it would be a Red vs Blue match)
    Game Types

• Objective Based (Team Based Obstacle Courses and misclanneous)
    • Deathmatch
    • Capture the Flag
      Force Third Person View
      Disable Weapon Pickup
      Disable Obby HUD
    • Hide Timer
    • Hide Misclanneous Infos
    • Hide Health and Ammo
      Run and Walk speed Slider
      Hide Spawnpoints
      Disable Fall Damage

Core Changes:

Give a warning somehow to the client if the level has Phx/wire props and the client doesn’t have Phx/wire installed.
    Have all fire weapons use the Awesome Strike projectile system instead of the HL2 Bullet System
    Make the Obby Gamerules “Wirable” or add a Numpad preset so people can make custom objectives of their own
    Add a NPC Spawner stool, with only the following foes: npc_metropolice + weapon pistol,npc_antlion,npc_antlion_g,npc_zombie, and a max of 20 NPCs on the whole level
    Add Expression 2 support, which apparently isn’t there
    Add a “Obby Block” Stool that spawns a resizable block with custom textures
    Add a “Give on Spawn” or “Give on Touch” option to the Obby Weapon Box Stool
    Add a Flag entity, And set their team according to it’s color, similar to the Spawnpoints

I will make any models you need if this suggestion gets “Pending”, even that I doubt it will.

• Obby had a lot of potential on it’s core.
    However, It was only used for Obstacle Courses, as the name Suggests, Which isn’t really challenging and fun outside Sandbox Events.

As I’ve said before in some threads, Obby could be a fantastic Garry’s Mod game platform, giving people who have no knowledge in programming or mapping a chance to make their very own gamemode combining both the Level Rules and Level Design.

However it’s core was designed for only Obstacle Courses in mind, but I do believe it could be modified to make people able to make their own Obby based gamemodes.

Other servers might be interested to host Obby based Minigames as they host Fretta minigames, If you get to release it, I recommend you to release in the LGPL license, so whoever modifies it’s core must release the source code, This might give some control into it, Unlike what happened with the extremely unbalanced ZS mods that don’t/won’t share their source.

Team Based Game (Simply Colour the spawnpoint the colour of the teams, So if there’s a blue and red spawnpoints, it would be a Red vs Blue match)
    Game Types

• Deathmatch
    • Capture the Flag
      Force Third Person View
      Disable Weapon Pickup
      Disable Obby HUD
    • Hide Timer
    • Hide Health and Ammo
      Hide Spawnpoints
      Disable Fall Damage

Core Changes:

Give a warning somehow to the client if the level has Phx/wire props and the client doesn’t have Phx/wire installed.
    Have all fire weapons use the Awesome Strike projectile system instead of the HL2 Bullet System
    Make the Obby Gamerules “Wirable” or add a Numpad preset so people can make custom objectives of their own
    Add a NPC Spawner stool, with only the following foes: npc_metropolice + weapon pistol,npc_antlion,npc_antlion_g,npc_zombie, and a max of 20 NPCs on the whole level
    Add a Flag entity, And set their team according to it’s color, similar to the Spawnpoints

I will make any models you need if this suggestion gets “Pending”, even that I doubt it will.

• @Samuel:

Obby had a lot of potential on it’s core.

Game Types

• Deathmatch
    • Capture the Flag
      Force Third Person View
      Disable Weapon Pickup
      Disable Obby HUD
    • Hide Timer
    • Hide Health and Ammo
      Hide Spawnpoints
      Disable Fall Damage

Core Changes:

no

• This would only work on obby and it would be useful in Co-op levels, so why not

• The last I remembered about Obby Jetboom was considering moving it to Sandbox or something along the lines. Either way it was coming back.

• force 3rd person?

no

• He means as an option.

This was my original intent but development on other things came first.

• Oh well, here’s an idea. There will be multiple rooms like Multiplayer Youtube :

• Here’s an idea: Mimic the BR2 server.

• @Shen-chan:

Oh well, here’s an idea. There will be multiple rooms like Multiplayer Youtube :

Re-think that for a bit. Please.

• Press f2 to buy this door.

But really, obby had great potential. If it had some features to make it easier on people who don’t know how to exploit source, it could be popular again. Sam does bring up a good point. If it were to be expanded upon to more than “jump on a row of soda cans to win” it could be more fun and appeal to more people.

• yeah just go to zs.
    oh wait you’re not there anymore

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.