Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Ragdoll Toss

• I made this game called Ragdoll Toss on addictinggames. It’s gay as hell and I made it when I was 12.

Surprisingly if I put an ad on it while it loaded, I could have had more than 2 thousand dollars (in the first few months!) from people just viewing it on addictinggames alone. (given i get $0.001 per view)

Too bad I was too young to know I could earn money that way huh. [/ragethread]

Perhaps I will make another that’s not so goddamn dumb and earn some money from it….

Have fun gaping at how much money this shitty little game could have earned:
    http://www.addictinggames.com/ragdolltoss.html

Edit: I’m going to make another game, any sugestions?

• I made this game called Ragdoll Toss on addictinggames. It’s gay as hell and I made it when I was 12.

Surprisingly if I put an ad on it while it loaded, I could have had more than 2 thousand dollars (in the first few months!) from people just viewing it on addictinggames alone. (given i get $0.001 per view)

Too bad I was too young to know I could earn money that way huh. [/ragethread]

Perhaps I will make another that’s not so goddamn dumb and earn some money from it….

Have fun gaping at how much money this shitty little game could have earned:
    http://www.addictinggames.com/ragdolltoss.html

Edit: I’m going to make another game, any sugestions?

• Well, I started on a death match game. So far i have dynamic object spawning and control. (This includes weapons, players, and props so far)

I incorporated some dumb physics, after half a second of something holding still, it will permanently “sleep”, and stop doing calculations on it. Also the players are made up of many clips so I can work on simple gibbing, and perhaps ragdoll-ing soon. I can currently spawn players as easily as weapons. Because it is fairly simple to assign the player as a NPC or a user controlled player.

WASD is to move, space is to jump. And to show the optimization of the physics, spam mouse 1 over the screen.

http://www.1337upload.net/files/2zombie.swf

• Revised the physics to use a while() loop instead of a for(), this way if there is nothing being calculated at the time it will completely stop calculating anything, (instead of doing 50 iterations of “if (PhysicsWake) {}”)
    Switched the player spawning and control systems to match the physics. (Arrays)

Added a inventory/equip system, right now it holds unlimited weapons. You really can’t tell you’re switching weapons unless you are at either end of your inventory. Because there is only one weapon right now…
    Added a stair demonstration and some sidewalls.
    Added a global mask to stop rendering off screen

Bug: Because lack of prediction, spazzing your player can cause your arm to look like this for a single frame:

I’ll attempt to fix that later but it’s not exactly game breaking…

Also i just noticed, getting lodged in a hole that is smaller than the player gets you stuck. (Don’t walk off the edge to the left :<)

Use mousewheel to change your current weapon, and holding mouse 1 will spam weapons for you.

http://www.1337upload.net/files/4zombie.swf

Runs really smooth on my machine, tell me if it is laggy on any of yours. (Well, while all of the physics are frozen….)

Edit: A normal computer can handle more than 1000’s of these physics objects, but you’d need to monster GPU to render all the props overlapping each other, this is the only reason any lag is created. This won’t be a problem as 500 weapons or gibs won’t ever be found at one place.

• When you walk all the way left, your player gets stuck in the little “hole”.

When you spawn the guns in the ground, the float to the left, until they eventually fall. You should have a boundary outside of the game, where it removes the gibs or items so that it doesn’t generate excessive lag. I spawn a lot of guns, they fell outside the map, and the terrible lag was still there. I thought that wouldn’t have happened.

• lol your character’s speed depends on framerate

• It’s only 3 days in development, expect things like that. I’ve gotten another weapon, a shooting and ammo system down. I’ll post the flash later when i finish a few more things. I have to read another chapter of “To kill a mocking bird” for a summer project real quick, so goddamn boring.

• nice.

• middle school

• I have to read another chapter of “To kill a mocking bird” for a summer project

what does a boring novel have to do with a project
    :link:

• @Modestyiswimpy:

middle school

you got it

Also: http://www.1337upload.net/files/6zombie.swf

Added MP5
    Added ammo system, it remembers how much ammo a weapon has, in your inventory or on the ground.
    Switched from using push() to unshift() when adding calculations to arrays.
    Added an extra collision point on the players head, and added some de-bug dots so i know whats happening when shit messes up. :<
    Players can now travel down slopes without stutter.
    Added a simple “FireBullets” command, I will improve on it to have more ‘physical’ bullets. Instead of having it instantly hit where you shot.
    Increased run speed.
    You can now drop throw weapons by pressing F. (This could serve as an attack, throw your empty weapon, then possibly shoot it to gaben enemys.)
    M9 carrys 18 rounds,
    MP5 carrys 32, feel free to keep track of the bullets in a weapon, you’ll notice the game doesn’t forget (I hope :<).
    Thrown empty weapons fade, and cannot be picked back up.
    Guns stay on the appropriate side of the body (the right shoulder)

Controls:
    F-Dropweapon
    wasd+space-Move
    B-Spawn M9’s
    N-Spawn MP5’s
    M1-Fire weapon

Later:
    Add special effects
    Physical bullets, (calculate path through 3-4 frames instead of 1.)
    Gun animations (Slide blowback, ect.)
    Recoil (Gun recoil/spread, and throw variation)
    Fix having to fire a weapon before being able to switch weapons.

• http://www.1337upload.net/files/deathmatch.swf

Switched vector graphics into bitmaps, lets my gpu handle a good 200+ props onscreen without unbearable lag.
    Added a camera function, I could make it spectate people who kill you or grenades or something. But it just centers around you and the mouse.
    Added some physical bullets, they drop over time and take some time to get where you shot. But I still haven’t coded spread or recoil yet >.>
    Fixed the player from sinking into the ground when you run into a slope.
    Added some textboxes showing what kind of calculations it’s doing, and how many props are in the world. (Not if they are visible or not!)
    Props now disappear after they are off screen, for some reason flash still renders it if it’s visible…
    Made the map bigger to test some things, don’t bother saying “THE PROPS SOMETIMES GO THROUGH THE MAP D:” because i know it happens.

I did add some gun animations, but they were discarded when I switched to bitmaps, I’ll add them again later.

Tell me how many props your PC can handle before you feel like you can’t play. So I know how much more i should optimize.

Edit: Also don’t tell me that you can look too far away from the player, because this flash isn’t meant to be full screen.

• Can you wait until your engine accomplishes something worth mentioning before bumping this with an ‘update’?

• heres some bugs:

your physics dont fucking work

standing on a tip doesent work like that. you’d have to pull both feet together and stand on it.

there u go fix that 1 good luck

• speed: a

• @Zetanor,
    “Tell me how many props your PC can handle before you feel like you can’t play. So I know how much more i should optimize.”

I wouldn’t even came out with an ‘update’, I wanted to know how well it runs on other pc’s so i know how/what/if to optimize.

@Heart, physics are dumb, you’ll find them floating through the ground or spazzing quite often, I’m aiming for non-CPU consuming physics, so i can have mass gibbs, I’ll fix them easy. Also, the left side of the map is to just test how well the player physics work, no map will ever be that complicated because i plan on coding some dumb npc’s too.

@Atomic, sure thing.

• non cpu intensive? yeah well the game is unplayable at 50 props that are only colliding with the ground, so gg.

• If you walk away from them and your fps raises, it’s gpu. Edit: Or if “Number of Active loops:” is 1.
    Thanks for the number though, I’ll work a bit harder on keeping it even more optimized.

• lmao well guess what half of the job is rendering the props

• flash>crysis

dumb vector graphics.

Users

Topics