Should I pursue a career in 3d?

• I’ve been modeling on and off since like 2005/2006 and I still am not sure if I want to do this for a living. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating and I usually give up before i even begin to make something (might be from only knowing how to do simpler things) but sometimes when I manage to get off on the right track i can work on something for 18 hours a day without getting bored. I’ve made alot of random objects but only a few really stood out (to me). Anyway, here are my highlights (in chronological order)

2006-2007
    My first model ever. I remember it took me 3 weeks to make. This is the only picture of it, so I’m sorry that I have only a wireframe pic.

Which I redid a year later in 3 days.

My 2nd model

And then made this in 2 days.

(i actually compiled this for gmod if anybody wants it)

(i didn’t know how to fix the texture stretching back then - it’s pretty horriblly stretched around the eyes and gascap)

2009 - I didn’t do anything at all, shitty year, wtbzs/etc.

My first and only time ever trying to composite a model into a real photo.

more car shots

And finally, something I’ve been working on this week, this is not the final result.

• I’ve been modeling on and off since like 2005/2006 and I still am not sure if I want to do this for a living. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating and I usually give up before i even begin to make something (might be from only knowing how to do simpler things) but sometimes when I manage to get off on the right track i can work on something for 18 hours a day without getting bored. I’ve made alot of random objects but only a few really stood out (to me). Anyway, here are my highlights (in chronological order)

2006-2007
    My first model ever. I remember it took me 3 weeks to make. This is the only picture of it, so I’m sorry that I have only a wireframe pic.

Which I redid a year later in 3 days.

My 2nd model

And then made this in 2 days.

(i actually compiled this for gmod if anybody wants it)

(i didn’t know how to fix the texture stretching back then - it’s pretty horriblly stretched around the eyes and gascap)

2009 - I didn’t do anything at all, shitty year, wtbzs/etc.

My first and only time ever trying to composite a model into a real photo.

more car shots

And finally, something I’ve been working on this week, this is not the final result.

• Make stuff for NoXiousNet.

• I’ve been wanting to ask but I was thinking that I’d get rejected instantly.

• WTB deathofthismeme $850

:king:

Oh, I almost forgot this one and I guess saying I made nothing in 2009 was wrong.

• I can just imagine. But really, just ask JetBoom or Zetanor what they need made.

• Sent.

• you should give up.

• 2 or 3 models a year?

yeah no.

most of them are pretty bad as they lack any creativity, that robot is probably the most unique thing you’ve made, and they all look you are literally beginning at modeling following the standard tutorials. literally.

and actually getting a job in 3d would be learning all the formats and everything. how many do you work with now? are you familiar with modeling for multiple video games? rigging? animation? anyone can do 3d still “art”.

• @Heart:

2 or 3 models a year?

yeah no.

most of them are pretty bad as they lack any creativity, that robot is probably the most unique thing you’ve made, and they all look you are literally beginning at modeling following the standard tutorials. literally.

Can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean by bad? Oh and I have made alot more than just 3 models a year but I rarely render them, these are just ones that i have rendered and came out looking satisfying (aside from the lack of smoothing groups on the guns, which alot of the custom weapons in ZS also lack).

@Heart:

and actually getting a job in 3d would be learning all the formats and everything. how many do you work with now? are you familiar with modeling for multiple video games? rigging? animation? anyone can do 3d still “art”.

Seeing as I don’t have a job doing this, the obvious answer is ‘none’. I just recently started teaching myself animation but I need somebody to tell me what to make. That is why I am thinking about going to college for this.

• what’s not to understand about “uncreative”

that’s pretty much it

oh and you could say they’re all small and uninteresting

• @ScienceIsFun:

What exactly do you mean by bad?

@Heart:

what’s not to understand about “uncreative”

:king:

• yeah?? believe it or not creativity is required to make something good where you’re CREATING something

• Yeah, if your job is to come up with the concepts and not simply take them and make them into 3d models.

• yeah no if your job is creating anything it requires creativity because you’re not going to get a sketch down to every angle of what you’re making

• Luckily you only need 2 angles to recreate something into the 3d world.

• ya cs. im actually 13.

qq more.

• @Zincoshine:

oh goodie, a flamewar between a homo willing to buy a mod for 850 bucks and a 16 year old crying failure of a troll.

Only in America folks :lurk:

I thought it was just a discussion.

• it is, CS is just autistic and can’t hand any sort of social disagreement

• Not all autistic people are like that  :uglylaugh:

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.