Generated Maze (obby_mazegen)

• OBBY_MAZEGEN

Download for the map: http://www.filefront.com/15989681/obby_mazegen.bsp
    Download for the adv. dupe file: http://www.filefront.com/15989685/obby_mazegen_dupe_final_ver.txt

EDIT: Since the servers don’t have Prop Core for Expression 2 and embedding lua scripts doesn’t seem to activate them, I will reupload the map without the lua scripts and update the dupe with Jetboom’s teleporters since I’ve used Justice’s because it was released. I won’t be able to do any more afterwords.
    **EDIT 2:**Tried to make a dupe with Jetboom’s teleporters, but the expression 2 that takes care of the generating of the maze didn’t dupe right. The teleporters I had didn’t work when duped into the sandbox. I guess this course won’t be available unless Jetboom puts in Prop Core for expression 2.

Description: Generated Maze (or obby_mazegen) is an obby course which is simply put: a randomly generated maze. It is 2 20x20 mazes, both of which are the same, but each have different start and end points (randomly assigned). Solve both mazes to win the game. There are no hints and NO CHECKPOINTS (except for the end). It is a plain maze, there’s hardly any chance for death.

At the beginning of the map, you have to wait roughly 4 minutes and 23 seconds for the expression 2 chip to generate the maze and carve through the map. The chip isn’t very costly at all. The most it produces is around 680 ops, but that’s just when generating the maze in itself, and lasts around 10 seconds or so. It averages around 50-100 ops during the physical carving process, and it is destroyed when it’s done making the maze. There’s hardly any props in the map.

Below are some screenshots, which should illustrate the direction of the map.

• OBBY_MAZEGEN

Download for the map: http://www.filefront.com/15989681/obby_mazegen.bsp
    Download for the adv. dupe file: http://www.filefront.com/15989685/obby_mazegen_dupe_final_ver.txt

EDIT: Since the servers don’t have Prop Core for Expression 2 and embedding lua scripts doesn’t seem to activate them, I will reupload the map without the lua scripts and update the dupe with Jetboom’s teleporters since I’ve used Justice’s because it was released. I won’t be able to do any more afterwords.
    **EDIT 2:**Tried to make a dupe with Jetboom’s teleporters, but the expression 2 that takes care of the generating of the maze didn’t dupe right. The teleporters I had didn’t work when duped into the sandbox. I guess this course won’t be available unless Jetboom puts in Prop Core for expression 2.

Description: Generated Maze (or obby_mazegen) is an obby course which is simply put: a randomly generated maze. It is 2 20x20 mazes, both of which are the same, but each have different start and end points (randomly assigned). Solve both mazes to win the game. There are no hints and NO CHECKPOINTS (except for the end). It is a plain maze, there’s hardly any chance for death.

At the beginning of the map, you have to wait roughly 4 minutes and 23 seconds for the expression 2 chip to generate the maze and carve through the map. The chip isn’t very costly at all. The most it produces is around 680 ops, but that’s just when generating the maze in itself, and lasts around 10 seconds or so. It averages around 50-100 ops during the physical carving process, and it is destroyed when it’s done making the maze. There’s hardly any props in the map.

Below are some screenshots, which should illustrate the direction of the map.

• so what do you do while waiting for 5 minutes?
    Add some kind of fun minigame.

• good

• upload a new dupe

• Hi. Since I’ve been starting on learning how to use the Unity engine (a free game engine which is very easy to use and has quite a bit of power to it), and wanted to do a simple maze game based off of little light and using landmarks to help guide you through a random maze, I decided to look back into this.

Since I’ve created this map when Obby was still around, the sandbox was lacking prop spawner for E2 (and for good reason, which is spam). I decided to work on this map anyways, to see if I could get the functionality of this map to execute properly to make a good obby course based just on figuring out a maze. It’s a bit sad for me to work on something that held some promise only to see it not come to the surface.

So I’ve created a youtube video with annotations that generally describe the inner workings of the map as well as the expression 2 script that drives it. Here’s the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccTisUw7AF0

I’ve created the video because I knew that this map would never get onto obby, and now obby is officially dead, so this is pretty much the only way to show what this map is capable of to you guys so you would see what I’ve created.

To be honest, I felt there could have been so much more potential in obby, but with the nature of “create it in sandbox” style of building courses, it limited the minds and creativity of those that made obby courses to think of simple jump from one place to another type courses, and not making maps and using the vast entities provided with the power of mapping to create ingenious obstacles for players to overcome. Because of that lack, most of the maps were just too hard because you died all the time, and gave a sort of masochistic feel to the whole course, which in turn deterred everyone away from playing obby. If there were more custom map courses for obby and a lot less sandbox style maps, this gamemode could have been more successful. Alas, we’re here now and that’s that.

I’ll be working on a maze game in particular in Unity, hopefully with a multiplayer feature, free to play. It will be my first game in unity and I’ll post it on the forums once a good beta version is underway, but that will be a while away, so patience.

• p cool.

• For some reason the concept of a generated maze in a game reminds me of Tartarus in Persona 3. Why can’t more obby maps be like this?

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.