Great Idea - but is it possible?

• When a player connects, their multiplayer spray texture is sent to the server and then out to all clients - if I’m not mistaken. (not sure if its all done in 1 pass, or after a few rounds, but whatever it happens)

In addition to all the normal playermodels, would it be possible for JetBoom to implement a ‘use spray texture as player skin’ function to replace your default playermodel skin? Everyone has the textures right?

The lightmappedgeneric texture would somehow need to be reinterpreted as vertexlitgeneric, and translucency would need to be prohibited on the vertexlitgeneric variant to keep ppl from making invisible skins, but I dont see any further complications beyond those.

If the engine itself already supports a ‘custom texture’, then why not slap them on playermodels? This could reduce how many ‘randomly selected’ sprays people plaster to the walls on a daily basis. To ensure that reskinned players don’t also spray their skin on the walls just to be annoying, spraying could automatically be disabled while the skin is active.

I realize some people may try to make zombie replica skins, but the models posture, pose, and shitty texture resolution (256x256) would be a ‘dead’ giveaway =P. Plus, votekick is always a fallback for exploitative skins of any kind.

Some stock models consist of multiple 512x512 skins which makes this idea more difficult since you only get 1 spray texture. On these models, the spray could only replace 1 section, most likely the face.

Alternatively, a new simpler player model could be created which features very straightforward UV mapping - to allow for easy custom skinning on one single 256x256 texture.

I would gladly forgo spraying stupid shit on the walls if I could use my spray texture as a player skin.

How feasible is this idea?

• When a player connects, their multiplayer spray texture is sent to the server and then out to all clients - if I’m not mistaken. (not sure if its all done in 1 pass, or after a few rounds, but whatever it happens)

In addition to all the normal playermodels, would it be possible for JetBoom to implement a ‘use spray texture as player skin’ function to replace your default playermodel skin? Everyone has the textures right?

The lightmappedgeneric texture would somehow need to be reinterpreted as vertexlitgeneric, and translucency would need to be prohibited on the vertexlitgeneric variant to keep ppl from making invisible skins, but I dont see any further complications beyond those.

If the engine itself already supports a ‘custom texture’, then why not slap them on playermodels? This could reduce how many ‘randomly selected’ sprays people plaster to the walls on a daily basis. To ensure that reskinned players don’t also spray their skin on the walls just to be annoying, spraying could automatically be disabled while the skin is active.

I realize some people may try to make zombie replica skins, but the models posture, pose, and shitty texture resolution (256x256) would be a ‘dead’ giveaway =P. Plus, votekick is always a fallback for exploitative skins of any kind.

Some stock models consist of multiple 512x512 skins which makes this idea more difficult since you only get 1 spray texture. On these models, the spray could only replace 1 section, most likely the face.

Alternatively, a new simpler player model could be created which features very straightforward UV mapping - to allow for easy custom skinning on one single 256x256 texture.

I would gladly forgo spraying stupid shit on the walls if I could use my spray texture as a player skin.

How feasible is this idea?

• One question though: WHY?

• lo personal skins xD

• Why?? Really???

I’ve already explained ‘why’ in great detail, so lets hear ‘why not’

• It’s possible but could interfere with gamemode material setting.

• if it was anything really expensive or requires a tough achievement, it would be a great reward.

It could use the same system Gmod uses to materialize players in sandbox if I’m not mistaken.

• Since decals like blood work on models, maybe your avatar/spray could be decal’d onto your model.

• Another idea would just be to draw your spray over your face as a floating plate or something and add it to the shop as an item.

Goatseface.

• Yes, but that would be ugly.

• Yes but then how can people avoid well, nudity sprays? Or anything related to that kind of content. Other then that, the idea is good but i believe it may take some time to implement and may possibly interfere with materials in the game.

• looks like the forum died, my posts got lost here.  So like I said before, they’re will be many exploits for this.

• @Space:

Yes but then how can people avoid well, nudity sprays? Or anything related to that kind of content.

You don’t.  Nobody cares.

• You’re on the internet. No one is safe.

• I don’t see why this couldnt be done, but it might look kinda stupid.
    P.S. Shouldnt this be in the ‘Suggestions’ section.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.