[RELEASE] gm_noxgrass_v4

• This is a complete remake of v3, everything is much improved visually and there are a handful of new arena settings.
    Spawnroom:

Arena:

Lake:

Admin room buttons:

From left to right: Soccer goals, badminton net, kill all players, strip players’ weapons, remove all props, roof with hole, crushers, ramp control, spectator clip control, entrance and ramp, water, low gravity(12.5%), robot wars platforms, heal all players to 100hp, and admin room glass window control.

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yyn2yomytxm

• This is a complete remake of v3, everything is much improved visually and there are a handful of new arena settings.
    Spawnroom:

Arena:

Lake:

Admin room buttons:

From left to right: Soccer goals, badminton net, kill all players, strip players’ weapons, remove all props, roof with hole, crushers, ramp control, spectator clip control, entrance and ramp, water, low gravity(12.5%), robot wars platforms, heal all players to 100hp, and admin room glass window control.

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?yyn2yomytxm

• Looks fantastic. When will it be uploaded to the server?

• As a person that runs in dx8, I have a minor complaint; The alpha on the sand/grass displacements is inverted.  This is either from using from not using the “WorldVertexTransition” shader in the vmt or putting $basetexture2 before $basetexture.

Overall, a very nice sandbox map.  The cloud detail texture was a nice touch I haven’t seen used before.

• I just fixed and re-uploaded it. Can you confirm that it’s working?

• Yeah it’s fixed.

• Working. Looks great.

• 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7 are all opinions (some of which I can see you haven’t put a lot of thought into) and I can assume that a majority would disagree with you in most of the points you have made.

@Zincoshine:

• some of the buttons are unclear about what they do, some others don’t seem to do anything (AKA you can’t tell whether they worked or not). My buttons and charles_g’s buttons were for the most part very clear about their function. Those that weren’t used elevbell.wav

It’s an Admin room, and we expect Administrators to be competent.

• @Zincoshine:

I looked at the lake and I jizzed in my pants. Amazing

Extreme, could you PM me the vmf? I’d like to have a look without vmex ruining the map.

Edit:
    Ok, I had a look at the map in gmod.

A number of complaints/problems:

• some of the buttons are unclear about what they do, some others don’t seem to do anything (AKA you can’t tell whether they worked or not). My buttons and charles_g’s buttons were for the most part very clear about their function. Those that weren’t used elevbell.wav
      • The water is expensive, Jet wanted it to be cheap. You should have kept the water opaque or used my water texture from v3 and changed its color. The framerate drops down by 40% if you look at the water from up in the sky, mine didn’t affect the framerate at all.
      • You removed the FoN and lightning bolt. Now Robot war stalemates can’t be resolved except with the crushers. Have you forgotten how the adv dupe arena’s used to have hammers and stuff for hitting robots with? The whole point of adding in the lightning and the FoN was to emulate their function in a much more interesting manner. There was no need to remove them as they worked fine in v3 and even in v2 (although v2  did have that green box, which was eliminated in v3).
      • The glass texture for the admin room is a pointless downgrade of the one in v2 and v3. You should have kept it with the cs_havana texture. For that matter, the playerclip boundaries of the arena should have been switched to the zs_asylum_v1 glass texture texture since you made it toggle-able. The need for a button to toggle the glass in the admin room pretty much proves my point. (For that matter, why did you make the playerclip toggle-able? It renders the gate useless…. unless you tied it with the roof toggle, see point 2) ).
      • Isn’t the spawnroom kinda pointless? It will just be used to trap greys. Then again, if this stops people from having snapshot overflows then its a good idea.

Overall the map is a major boost in terms of graphics and details, but also a minor (and unnecessary) downgrade in terms of gameplay and performance when compared to v3 and a considerable downgrade in the ease of use of the admin room. (in fact, I can’t see how an admin can run an event without having this thread boommarked to know what exactly the buttons do, or risk pressing the wrong button, like the vague playerclip button, and instantly destroying the event.)

1. Sometimes it’s difficult to create a button that has a clear meaning of what it does, but it doesn’t take too long to understand what they do. Perhaps an indicator on some like the ramp button could help. For the most part, it doesn’t take long at all to remember the button setup.

2. The roof is colorable, although I do agree it should probably have a glass texture on the top by default.

3. Alot of people these days have computers that can handle reflective water just find along with sandbox stuff. There’s a console command to disable reflections completely if it’s that bad. I currently get 300 FPS around the entire map, looking at the water or not.

• Just did some tests, using reflective water actually increases my fps while standing still and has a nominal(>10) fps decrease while moving. This is while having an average of 300fps.

4. The way you implemented the FoN seemed very … hacky? It’s a ton of path tracks and it always follows the same predefined path. I could re-add it with a lua_run entity that does actual bouncing calculations.

5. Yeah I’ll change it. The playerclip toggle was used so that you can easily allow spectators to enter the arena without forcing them to go around. That combined with the healing button can allow quick restarting of minigames during events.

6. Never saw that. I’ll take a look at it.

7. It does prevent RSOs on connect, however, when you teleport in you RSO. As it stands, it at least allows an admin to join and tell someone to clean up their props.

• @Extreme56:

1. Sometimes it’s difficult to create a button that has a clear meaning of what it does, but it doesn’t take too long to understand what they do. Perhaps an indicator on some like the ramp button could help. For the most part, it doesn’t take long at all to remember the button setup.

Custom textures.

3. Alot of people these days have computers that can handle reflective water just find along with sandbox stuff.

That is irrelevant. Jet said he wants cheap water. If he didn’t care about the water then none of the drama in gm_noxgrass and gm_noxgrass_v2 would have happened because I would just have used the same water from noxgrass_arena10.

4. The way you implemented the FoN seemed very … hacky?

Technically speaking, everything I’ve ever made has been hacky. lol vmex. The FoN is modified from zs_fortis and the FoN on zs_fortis is a modified version of the “car” on zs_stormier.

It’s a ton of path tracks and it always follows the same predefined path. I could re-add it with a lua_run entity that does actual bouncing calculations.

Not all of those path tracks were for the FoN…… half of them were used by the lightning… I still don’t know why you didn’t include the lightning bolt. You just had to copy paste…

• 1: It’s not like your average advanced builder will have access to that room.
    2: Think of it as a privacy shade for pre-event preparation.
    3: Pretty sure JetBoom mentioned wanting cheap textures, but the shader you’re using isn’t very expensive so I don’t know what to think.
    4: Extreme, please don’t bother.
    5: You’re referring to ZS maps so I have no idea what you’re talking about.
    6: You clearly altered this image using Adobe® Photoshop® CS®4®.
    7: Pretty sure it would make me not RSO upon joining.

• I fixed the displacement issue, made the glass less visible, and made the roof part have glass on the top.

• Perhaps a table of rules and an explanation of the rights system can be put into the spawn room in the same fashion as in the youtube server.

• People would most likely ignore the spawn room and head straight to the teleporter. The entrance to the arena on a wall would be better.

• @Blue.Frog:

Perhaps a table of rules and an explanation of the rights system can be put into the spawn room in the same fashion as in the youtube server.

I agree with this.

• @Zincoshine:

Nice, but do you plan to copy paste in the lightning bolt? Do you plan to make the water surface cheap? I can understand the FoN not being included since its a bit to gimmicky (and zincoish) but the lightning bolt is a perfect emulation of the hammer that used to be used in the adv dupe arena.
    Nevermind, lets just see how this goes.

no. the water looks good and reflections can be disabled. lightning bolt is dumb tbh

• Its great, I love being able to actually look at the water from afar and not get an fps hit

• As a regular user, you can noclip from the sides to press buttons (the window and goal ones). Players shouldn’t be able to +use anything inside of an admin brush.
    The wire user can do that too.

• put a prop clip around it

• I just need to make the admin brush extend to under the ramp part, easy fix. As Zetanor said, wired users should not be able to work on things in admin brushes. I could just make a prop remover in the admin room, but then admins can’t put anything in it.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.