Crafting system.

• Put suggestions on how the crafting system should be (including enchanting) in this thread. This is assuming that a crafting system will be implemented at all. My own suggestions below.

In the previous NoXRPG the crafting system had a DDR like system, where you hit left/right/down/up at the correct time to successfully make the item. This should be brought back, but modified so the actual crafting skill is not constraining, simply aids in its creation. In this system, you can craft any item you want, provided you have the components, regardless of skill level. As your skill level goes up, the difficulty of the actual DDR crafting process lessens until it bottoms out. Example:
    You want to make a 9mm pistol. It requires 10 gunsmithing to be considered “competent” (bottom the difficulty out). You currently only have 5 gunsmithing. You can still attempt to create the gun, but there will be roughly twice as many symbols which you must press correctly, and they will move roughly twice as fast.

This system rewards skill with the DDR bar, rather than encouraging grinding. The more difficult an item, the more skill you will gain upon completion. Conversely, anything that is not at least 2 “skill levels” above you will reward no skill, discouraging spamming the same item for 5 levels or so.

There should be different crafting skills, not just one all inclusive. Here’s some I can think of off the top of my head:
    Bladed weapons, governs knife blades, sword blades, axe heads, assembly, ect
    Blunt weapons, governs maces, clubs, mauls and greathammers, ect
    Woodworking, governs wooden weapons such as practice swords, wooden clubs, weapon handles, in addition to regular wooden furniture, doors and the like.
    Metalworking, governs general metallic items, such as nails, door hinges, locks, lockpicks ect
    Gunsmithing: governs creating gun parts, assembling a firearm, creating ammunition, ect

It’s also a possibility to make skills sub-skills, dependant on one larger skill-set. Example: Bladed weapons as a sub-skill of Metalworking. I personally don’t think that would work with this system though.

Upon failing to complete an item, the crafter should lose the materials intelligently. By that I mean they should only use materials that they have used up to that point. Example, while trying to create a wooden table, a crafter attaches two legs to a wooden board, then fucks the third one up. The crafter loses the third leg, but keeps the unfinished table, and the fourth leg. They should be able to pick up and finish it once they get another leg, maybe leading to a ‘projects’ tab, which holds unfinished items until they are completed.

As for enchanting, I was thinking of stealing from WAR’s “talisman-making” system.
    In WAR, you use a scavenging skill to search your opponents bodies for curios and gold dusts, curios basically being anything that looks interesting, a pendant, a necklace, a strange symbol, ect ect. Gold dusts are obviously crushed gold flakes. You combine those two items with a magic essence, which is gained from using salvaging disassembling a piece of equipment, to create a talisman, which is basically a gem that you slot into an item to increase its stats. As for how it would work in-game, my idea is that curios can control the type of enchant, gold dusts the power of the enchant, and magic essences the duration. Players will have a scavenging skill to collect curios, metalworkers can create gold dusts, and actual enchanters can disassemble equipment for magic essences. Here is an example:
    Player A bought a crafted axe, and now wants to enchant it with frost damage
    Player A is skilled in scavenging, and collects a high quality curio, a necklace with a snowflake engraving.
    Player A goes to Player B, who is a metalworker, and buys pure gold dust
    Player A then goes to Player C, who is a good enchanter, and pays him to supply magic essence, and for the actual enchantment of the item.

This is a blatantly obvious rip-off from WoW and WAR, but it works in those games just fine.

• Put suggestions on how the crafting system should be (including enchanting) in this thread. This is assuming that a crafting system will be implemented at all. My own suggestions below.

In the previous NoXRPG the crafting system had a DDR like system, where you hit left/right/down/up at the correct time to successfully make the item. This should be brought back, but modified so the actual crafting skill is not constraining, simply aids in its creation. In this system, you can craft any item you want, provided you have the components, regardless of skill level. As your skill level goes up, the difficulty of the actual DDR crafting process lessens until it bottoms out. Example:
    You want to make a 9mm pistol. It requires 10 gunsmithing to be considered “competent” (bottom the difficulty out). You currently only have 5 gunsmithing. You can still attempt to create the gun, but there will be roughly twice as many symbols which you must press correctly, and they will move roughly twice as fast.

This system rewards skill with the DDR bar, rather than encouraging grinding. The more difficult an item, the more skill you will gain upon completion. Conversely, anything that is not at least 2 “skill levels” above you will reward no skill, discouraging spamming the same item for 5 levels or so.

There should be different crafting skills, not just one all inclusive. Here’s some I can think of off the top of my head:
    Bladed weapons, governs knife blades, sword blades, axe heads, assembly, ect
    Blunt weapons, governs maces, clubs, mauls and greathammers, ect
    Woodworking, governs wooden weapons such as practice swords, wooden clubs, weapon handles, in addition to regular wooden furniture, doors and the like.
    Metalworking, governs general metallic items, such as nails, door hinges, locks, lockpicks ect
    Gunsmithing: governs creating gun parts, assembling a firearm, creating ammunition, ect

It’s also a possibility to make skills sub-skills, dependant on one larger skill-set. Example: Bladed weapons as a sub-skill of Metalworking. I personally don’t think that would work with this system though.

Upon failing to complete an item, the crafter should lose the materials intelligently. By that I mean they should only use materials that they have used up to that point. Example, while trying to create a wooden table, a crafter attaches two legs to a wooden board, then fucks the third one up. The crafter loses the third leg, but keeps the unfinished table, and the fourth leg. They should be able to pick up and finish it once they get another leg, maybe leading to a ‘projects’ tab, which holds unfinished items until they are completed.

As for enchanting, I was thinking of stealing from WAR’s “talisman-making” system.
    In WAR, you use a scavenging skill to search your opponents bodies for curios and gold dusts, curios basically being anything that looks interesting, a pendant, a necklace, a strange symbol, ect ect. Gold dusts are obviously crushed gold flakes. You combine those two items with a magic essence, which is gained from using salvaging disassembling a piece of equipment, to create a talisman, which is basically a gem that you slot into an item to increase its stats. As for how it would work in-game, my idea is that curios can control the type of enchant, gold dusts the power of the enchant, and magic essences the duration. Players will have a scavenging skill to collect curios, metalworkers can create gold dusts, and actual enchanters can disassemble equipment for magic essences. Here is an example:
    Player A bought a crafted axe, and now wants to enchant it with frost damage
    Player A is skilled in scavenging, and collects a high quality curio, a necklace with a snowflake engraving.
    Player A goes to Player B, who is a metalworker, and buys pure gold dust
    Player A then goes to Player C, who is a good enchanter, and pays him to supply magic essence, and for the actual enchantment of the item.

This is a blatantly obvious rip-off from WoW and WAR, but it works in those games just fine.

• I’m unsure, but JetBoom mentioned that to craft an item you will have to fight some monsters in instances.

• @Mystry:

In the previous NoXRPG the crafting system had a DDR like system

The problem is that you could cheat at DDR using scripts or software.

@PaperJack:

fight some monsters in instances

Monsters are player controlled now so I doubt it.

How about you can always make any item, given the proper components and maybe a blueprint. However, your skill level affects how efficient the craft is. Say you’re making a gun with 0 skill in gunsmithing, then the gun works but its item instance has a very low firing rate/damage/accuracy/etc.

• @Mystry:

maybe leading to a ‘projects’ tab, which holds unfinished items until they are completed.

Yes

• @Zetanor:

How about you can always make any item, given the proper components and maybe a blueprint. However, your skill level affects how efficient the craft is. Say you’re making a gun with 0 skill in gunsmithing, then the gun works but its item instance has a very low firing rate/damage/accuracy/etc.

This. The better your skill is, the better the weapon should be. This can also add variety in the same weapons.

• Have everything made on a certain crafting surface, and you have to do shitty mini-games to complete it (hammer a sword by mashing LMB, stir a pot by holding lmb and spinning mouse).

• @Zetanor:

The problem is that you could cheat at DDR using scripts or software.
    Monsters are player controlled now so I doubt it.

If being able to cheat on the DDR system is true, then wouldn’t it be better to implement both of these? Having skill level affect the difficulty as well as effectiveness of the item?

• Or in crafting, you can also take the time to find any extra reagents to make your weapon better. People should be rewarded for gathering a little bit extra enchantment ingredients.

• No guns in this.

Eisiger has the best idea. Stupid minigames like you would find on the Wii or DS coupled with varying difficulty based on your character skill vs. the craft difficulty.

I want to have the minigames predicted on the server where possible to prevent being able to change the scripts.

• @JetBoom:

No guns in this.

:wub:

• ya tbh i don’t want to have to THINK about crafting that is v boring little minigames would be fun

• @JetBoom:

No guns in this.

Eisiger has the best idea. Stupid minigames like you would find on the Wii or DS coupled with varying difficulty based on your character skill vs. the craft difficulty.

I want to have the minigames predicted on the server where possible to prevent being able to change the scripts.

Okay.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.