Quantum Immortality

• Two quantum physicists are conducting an experiment on subject Joe.
    Subject Joe is in a room with a looking glass so that the physicists can observe the experiment.
    In the room is a VERY complex game of “don’t touch the steel wire with the ring”.
    If the ring does touch the wire, Joe is voided, crossed out. A quantum split happens and Subject Joe gets transported back in time to the beginning of the experiment.

Subject Joe cannot starve.
    Subject Joe cannot suicide.
    Subject Joe cannot escape.

What will the physicists observe?

• Two quantum physicists are conducting an experiment on subject Joe.
    Subject Joe is in a room with a looking glass so that the physicists can observe the experiment.
    In the room is a VERY complex game of “don’t touch the steel wire with the ring”.
    If the ring does touch the wire, Joe is voided, crossed out. A quantum split happens and Subject Joe gets transported back in time to the beginning of the experiment.

Subject Joe cannot starve.
    Subject Joe cannot suicide.
    Subject Joe cannot escape.

What will the physicists observe?

• is this a riddle

• Hey AtomiC I have this .357 Phyton with only 1 bullet in it what happens if I point it to my head, Spin it and press the trigger

• I know why you’re here samuel

I watched you die

• Whoops wrong parallel universe, bye.

• Since “subject Joe” goes back in time every time he gets the test wrong. The physicists will only ever observe Joe not touching the wire with the ring. What happens to Joe is irrelevant and beyond the scope of the question.

• Joe swallows the ring and completes the game

• What about the other Joes, They’ve failed the experiment thus is still in the experiment.

• @Benjy:

What happens to Joe is irrelevant and beyond the scope of the question.

From the scientist prospective, Joe will always complete they experiment.

• @Samuel:

What about the other Joes, They’ve failed the experiment thus is still in the experiment.

The other Joes would have eaten the ring also, considering we control the ‘first’ Joe’s choice.

Or there could be no other Joes since the first one never touched the ring to the wire

• The physicists will see a Joe appear in the room and an original Joe. The original Joe would touch the ring to the wire. The quantum split will create two separate time lines, and then the original Joe would be transported back in the new time line and the physicists will stay in the old time line. The original Joe would disappear and they would never see him again.

Following the original Joe through the time line, he would appear in the original experiment with another Joe. The other Joe would touch the ring to the wire.

From here we have two possibilities on what the physicists could observe:

If the ring can only be touched to the wire once per experiment, then each time line would leave one Joe from his future time line. Time lines would constantly be created by the original Joes in the newly created time lines. The physicists would always see a Joe appear in the room, an original Joe from the experiment, and the original Joe touching the ring to the wire and disappearing, and the other Joe being left there.

But if the ring can be touched to the wire any time, then the physicists would see the original Joe touching the ring to the wire and disappearing to another time line, then the other Joe would touch the ring to the wire and disappear to a newly created time line as an appearing Joe, and the physicists would see an original Joe, an appearing Joe, the original Joe touching the ring to the wire and disappearing, and then the other Joe touching the ring to the wire and disappearing, leaving no more Joes for that time line.

The new time line would be created an infinite amount of new times, each time creating a new Joe and a new time line.
    There would be no original time line nor an end time line.
    Every Joe would be stuck in the experiment forever, either stuck in the room if the first possibility is true, or constantly creating a new time line and being an appearing Joe in a newly created time line if the second possibility is true.

• :th_clap:

• If wikipedia is to be believed then I don’t think what you are describing is Quantum Immortality.

Unlike Schrödinger’s cat-in-a-box thought experiment which used poison gas and a radioactive decay trigger, this human version involves some sort of lethal weapon and a machine which measures the spin value of a photon. Every 10 seconds, the spin value of a randomly passing photon is measured. Depending on the orientation of the spin, either the weapon is deployed and the man is killed, or it is not and he lives.

With each run of the experiment there is a 50-50 chance that the weapon will be triggered and the experimenter will die. According to the Copenhagen interpretation, the weapon will (in all likelihood) eventually be triggered and the experimenter will die. If the many-worlds interpretation is correct then at each run of the experiment, the experimenter will be split into one world in which he survives and another world in which he dies. In the worlds where the experimenter dies, he will cease to be a conscious entity.

However, from the point of view of the non-dead copies of the experimenter, the experiment will continue running without his ceasing to exist, because at each branch, he will only be able to observe the result in the world in which he survives, and if many-worlds is correct, the surviving copies of the experimenter will notice that he never seems to die, therefore “proving” himself to be invulnerable to the killing mechanism in question, from his own point of view.

If the many-worlds interpretation is true, the measure (given in M.W.I. by the squared norm of the wavefunction) of the surviving copies of the experimenter will decrease by 50% with each run of the experiment, but will remain non-zero. So, if the surviving copies become experimenters, those copies will either die during their first attempt, or survive creating duplicates of themselves (copies of copies, that will survive finitely or die).

If i understand it correctly, you can never die in your own personal universe. Because assuming “you” follow your conciousness; every time there is a chance of you dying, “you” go into the universe where you are alive. Therefore, since in quantum mechanics all options are possible (but some more likely than others) “you” will always live on, since there is always a (tiny) probability that in your universe there is some way of living forever.

That is relative to “you”, however to other people you will be seen to die, though they will live on forever too. That’s how I see it, correct me if i am way off.

• You don’t understand my theory.

• @Kris2456:

If wikipedia is to be believed then I don’t think what you are describing is Quantum Immortality.

The thread title is irrelevant.

• Every time Joe touches the ring to the wire, a new time line is created. The physicists’ see either the original Joe disappear after touching the ring to the wire or they will see both do it. Afterwards a Joe touches the ring to the wire he no longer exists in that time line and creates a new time line. No more than two Joes can exist in one time line at a time.

• Joe is black so who cares?

• @Mechwarrior5:

Every time Joe touches the ring to the wire, a new time line is created. The physicists’ see either the original Joe disappear after touching the ring to the wire or they will see both do it. Afterwards a Joe touches the ring to the wire he no longer exists in that time line and creates a new time line. No more than two Joes can exist in one time line at a time.

1. OG joe touches ring, vanishes, and new one appears in a room with another joe.

2. One of the joes touches the ring, and ends up splitting the timeline at THAT POINT. He appears in a room with the original 2 joes from that new timeline.

3. One of the 3 touches it again, making 4 and so on…

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.