[WIP] noxtp_abstraction

• Hey guys. Now that I’m back in the swing of things with Source mapping, I present to you my next map, noxtp_abstraction.

This map is based solely on an idea of mine that I’ve been stumbling to see if it was possible to do and that is both animated skyboxes and changing skyboxes on the fly. I know VTFs can be animated, but I was wondering if it was possible to have animated VTFs as skyboxes. To quickly answer a question, no, I will not use the skybox traditionally, like everyone else has been using them. My animated skyboxes will look like they’re skyboxes though, hopefully without limitations that any other texture might have. You may get the just of what I’m trying to do from the description, but that’s all I’m saying. If I can pull it off, I can encompass an abstract reality through just the skyboxes alone.

The abstraction I’m doing is pretty much colored primitives. The texture they have though may change entirely at any random time, both the skybox primitives and the actual primitives the players are playing on. They share texture. Pretty much I’m going to have people go on a mind trip with this map, like when you’re taking pills and hallucinating, this is the place that’s envisioned. That’s pretty much the idea behind the whole map.

The actual Nox Teamplay structure is going to be simple. Two castle-like bases facing each other in a straight line. Multiple entrances and plenty of room behind castles and on the side of castles for endless possibilities. Oh, and huge vehicle space. Notihng fancy on that part.

Hopefully whatever I’m trying to attempt here is all 100% doable. I’ll keep you guys updated on the status. Hope I pull it off!

• Hey guys. Now that I’m back in the swing of things with Source mapping, I present to you my next map, noxtp_abstraction.

This map is based solely on an idea of mine that I’ve been stumbling to see if it was possible to do and that is both animated skyboxes and changing skyboxes on the fly. I know VTFs can be animated, but I was wondering if it was possible to have animated VTFs as skyboxes. To quickly answer a question, no, I will not use the skybox traditionally, like everyone else has been using them. My animated skyboxes will look like they’re skyboxes though, hopefully without limitations that any other texture might have. You may get the just of what I’m trying to do from the description, but that’s all I’m saying. If I can pull it off, I can encompass an abstract reality through just the skyboxes alone.

The abstraction I’m doing is pretty much colored primitives. The texture they have though may change entirely at any random time, both the skybox primitives and the actual primitives the players are playing on. They share texture. Pretty much I’m going to have people go on a mind trip with this map, like when you’re taking pills and hallucinating, this is the place that’s envisioned. That’s pretty much the idea behind the whole map.

The actual Nox Teamplay structure is going to be simple. Two castle-like bases facing each other in a straight line. Multiple entrances and plenty of room behind castles and on the side of castles for endless possibilities. Oh, and huge vehicle space. Notihng fancy on that part.

Hopefully whatever I’m trying to attempt here is all 100% doable. I’ll keep you guys updated on the status. Hope I pull it off!

• Updating status

The animated skybox is done, but since I have 240 frames (8 seconds worth) of data in each VTF, the 6 skybox textures total up to 180MB. That’s the only drawback to this project, and to have multiple skyboxes changing just makes the filesize even more ridiculous. I’ll make 2 versions, one that is huge in filesize but actually accomplishes my goal of artistic value I’m putting into the map, and another with the skybox not being animated, but still achieving the aesthetic look I’m going for in the map. I might release a quick teaser video to show what I’ve done, plus some screenshots soon.

• try and make the textures less expensive, Either by making them smaller (256x256 you can do that) or by reducing the number of colors used, Posterize? i think it’s called.

• Totally agree, but I fear for the big degradation of quality on the skybox. They are 512x512 at the moment. They are already compressed with DX1 format. The skybox is a true 3D scene, so posterizing is out of the question. I’ve yet to run a test, but I haven’t been able to get on steam, nor offline mode either due to my shitty internet setup which I cannot change. I will have to wait till later today to do it.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.