Completely player driven monster system: how it works now and how it's planned

• The system for PvE in the mod is extremely unique. Quite simply, there is no AI-controlled monsters. All mobs are controlled by at least semi-intelligent players. Take Zombie Survival, add about 20 non zombie-related classes and then add human vs. human as well as a different zombie teams and a persistent RPG. That’s how the system works.

All players can’t be monsters and all players can’t be humans but you have the freedom of switching whenever you want, without penalty. Whatever the object is, the end result is the same. Basically you choose from a list of active monster races on the current map (nests, gates, camps, whatever) and then you’re respawned as said monster. To get back you can either just reconnect or suicide, which will bring up a display telling you to press a certain key to swap back to human spawn or just press mouse 1 to respawn in about 10 seconds. I have a pretty great idea as to how you get to play as a monster but I don’t want to spoil anything right now.

So what’s the point in being a monster? Well, besides being a completely new way to roleplay, you get prizes that help both your human form and monster form. As a monster player, you don’t have to worry about skills and stats, all monsters have their skills and stats exactly the same as players of your class. Instead, you have a kind of experience level. Doing good things for your particular race like killing natural enemies, defending nests or camps, or the most profitable: killing human players will give you experience. The higher your level, the better classes and races you get unlocked. You also get points which can be redeemed as a human player to get free skill ups, gold, maybe even special items, weapons, spells, etc. I also want to have a top monsters board which gets cleared every day. There are risks however. I don’t want to have people letting their friends skill up on them so there ARE penalties. As the first deterrent, you get a K/D ratio and average score like in all the other gamemodes. These erase themselves over time so only recent kills and deaths matter (200 or so). Secondly, you will actually LOSE experience and even levels by dying. The higher your level, the more the penalty. And lastly, you may even be banned from monster mode for a while if you start dying enough.

Monsters of the same race can talk freely to each other. If the race is intelligent enough then they can speak the human language. Basically, all a human player will hear from monster players chatting is hisses, moans, growls, etc. If two monsters of the same race talk to each other then it appears as plain chat. In addition to that, there’s also a curtain in place that stops human players from knowing who’s playing a monster. The only thing a human player sees when targeting a monster would be something like “a zombie” or “a charger bug”. Monsters of different races follow this technique as well. All monsters can freely identify human players.

At open beta / release it’ll probably just be “kill as many enemies as you can” at first. Later on however I want to add in-depth systems depending on what race you are like having to hunt for food, drink water and whatever else your creature’s agenda contains. As for human players having to drink and eat, probably not a requirement but I think it will be debuff / buff depending on eating / drinking or not.

• The system for PvE in the mod is extremely unique. Quite simply, there is no AI-controlled monsters. All mobs are controlled by at least semi-intelligent players. Take Zombie Survival, add about 20 non zombie-related classes and then add human vs. human as well as a different zombie teams and a persistent RPG. That’s how the system works.

All players can’t be monsters and all players can’t be humans but you have the freedom of switching whenever you want, without penalty. Whatever the object is, the end result is the same. Basically you choose from a list of active monster races on the current map (nests, gates, camps, whatever) and then you’re respawned as said monster. To get back you can either just reconnect or suicide, which will bring up a display telling you to press a certain key to swap back to human spawn or just press mouse 1 to respawn in about 10 seconds. I have a pretty great idea as to how you get to play as a monster but I don’t want to spoil anything right now.

So what’s the point in being a monster? Well, besides being a completely new way to roleplay, you get prizes that help both your human form and monster form. As a monster player, you don’t have to worry about skills and stats, all monsters have their skills and stats exactly the same as players of your class. Instead, you have a kind of experience level. Doing good things for your particular race like killing natural enemies, defending nests or camps, or the most profitable: killing human players will give you experience. The higher your level, the better classes and races you get unlocked. You also get points which can be redeemed as a human player to get free skill ups, gold, maybe even special items, weapons, spells, etc. I also want to have a top monsters board which gets cleared every day. There are risks however. I don’t want to have people letting their friends skill up on them so there ARE penalties. As the first deterrent, you get a K/D ratio and average score like in all the other gamemodes. These erase themselves over time so only recent kills and deaths matter (200 or so). Secondly, you will actually LOSE experience and even levels by dying. The higher your level, the more the penalty. And lastly, you may even be banned from monster mode for a while if you start dying enough.

Monsters of the same race can talk freely to each other. If the race is intelligent enough then they can speak the human language. Basically, all a human player will hear from monster players chatting is hisses, moans, growls, etc. If two monsters of the same race talk to each other then it appears as plain chat. In addition to that, there’s also a curtain in place that stops human players from knowing who’s playing a monster. The only thing a human player sees when targeting a monster would be something like “a zombie” or “a charger bug”. Monsters of different races follow this technique as well. All monsters can freely identify human players.

At open beta / release it’ll probably just be “kill as many enemies as you can” at first. Later on however I want to add in-depth systems depending on what race you are like having to hunt for food, drink water and whatever else your creature’s agenda contains. As for human players having to drink and eat, probably not a requirement but I think it will be debuff / buff depending on eating / drinking or not.

• Will we have ranking monster classes?
    For example, you might start as an Antlion, then if you kill 10 enemies you can be a “Big Antlion” and if you kill 10 more you can be a “Antlion Nest-Guard”.

• Would we be able to add different materials on the monsters so we could have a charger bug of frost, with an ice like material on it?

• I saw the words level and skills and I thought you might have hit your head, but I like the ideas, at least its not the same garbage every has done 100x over.

• @Rexen:

Would we be able to add different materials on the monsters so we could have a charger bug of frost, with an ice like material on it?

Yeah, it’s completely modular.

• There are a few obvious problems with this though, whats to stop someone from letting a particular human character farm them? I assume that’s what the “penalty for a bad K/D” ratio and “banned from monster class when you die too much” is for, but on the same side, say there is a very skilled or geared human player who can easily slaughter the entire ‘nest’. What happens then, when the chances of a low-class monster player ever getting a kill drop like a stone? You can’t just say “go for the weaker ones”, because in this situation it is unlikely any other players besides the good one would be around, seeing as how he is hording all the kills.

• All monster classes have a set rank. Example, the charger bug’s rank is 5. Your chance of gaining any kind of skill on charger bugs ends at 15 skill points (+10). It also takes in to consideration your monster’s rank vs. their total skill level when calculating experience loss or gain.

• so should we try to think up some monster ideas?
    you said they can even use player items so I guess that gives a shitload of room

• They can if they’re humanoid.

• As monster I can’t skill up on humans right.  You said humans can’t skill up on humans, hope its visa versa.

• Monsters don’t have skills, they have experience points gained from killing humans and stuff.

• I like the limited communication between creatures/races, very cleaver.

• Different monsters could possibly have different types of vison. Some could possibly have their normal sight as thermal vision.

• That would be cool for something like a cave-dweller.

Also, so there are more monsters to fight, why not have it so humans can lead a squad of monsters from their race, or something to that effect?

• @Arven:

Also, so there are more monsters to fight, why not have it so humans can lead a squad of monsters from their race, or something to that effect?

what

• He is thinking that a player (playing as a monster) controlls a squad of AI monster, even though jetboom said himself no AI.

But I do support the vision idea. Like if a monster had bad eyesight they could have good hearing like blue glows to the side of the screen showing the direction of players (when they aren’t on the screen).

• Like if a monster had bad eyesight they could have good hearing like blue glows to the side of the screen showing the direction of players (when they aren’t on the screen).

Now that’s an idea. Like a sort of hearing vision.

But you would have to drastically deteriorate the vision of the monster so that the player would have to rely on the blue glows until they are really close, close enough to actually see the human player making the sounds. Almost like right next to the human making the sound, maybe a little farther.

• So some monsters such as bugs, and predatory ones would see like this:

• So a monster with limilted vision will obviously get a stat boost right?

I like rexens sample.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.