Armor development ideas

• Well I just thought it’d be a good idea to get a thread up about armor, to help keep track of ideas in development.
    At the moment I have sketched out 2 pieces of armor that will be part of a set:
    Orc’s Pride Breastplate
    Helm of the Orc

Just to let you know I dont think I’ve actually themed them on orcs, so a different name for them would be good. Infact I think they are better off as being “Simple Breastplate” and "Simple Helm"
    Yet to be sketched is a pair of boots (with lifting to greaves)

• Well I just thought it’d be a good idea to get a thread up about armor, to help keep track of ideas in development.
    At the moment I have sketched out 2 pieces of armor that will be part of a set:
    Orc’s Pride Breastplate
    Helm of the Orc

Just to let you know I dont think I’ve actually themed them on orcs, so a different name for them would be good. Infact I think they are better off as being “Simple Breastplate” and "Simple Helm"
    Yet to be sketched is a pair of boots (with lifting to greaves)

• Berserker would be a better name.

• You realize in order for a chest piece to work it would need to be animated?

• Indeed, unless you can attach bone “joints” in a model to bone joints in a character. Then it wouldnt need tp be animated, just parented. That is; if it is posible to parent bones to bones.

• That made no sense. In any case I don’t want to have more than 3 or so pieces of visible armor since they’re entities.

• Have the 3 pieces of armor Helmet, Chest armor, and Leg armor.

Chest includes hands and arms, Legs includes feet.

• Can’t work that way. Armor pieces need to be able to parent themselves to a specific bone or attachment.

• Can you parent multiple bones from a worldmodel to different bones on a playermodel?

• I suppose you mean like having it so a pole can start in a person’s hand and then automatically point to a person’s foot?

• yes for example, you parent the end of a sleeve to your hand and the start of the sleeve to the shoulder.

• Still doesn’t make sense. You’d never be able to bend the elbow then.

• Was an example…
    But anyway I’ve begun development of the chestplate, and am actually pleased with the so-far “result”. First object using 3ds max,

• can’t do it with models, you’d have to download a shitload of new models for all the different possible combinations. 7 per character.

In the end… would lag less though then entities everywhere.

• I think a more urgent question is how armour should affect gameplay.
    Do you already have an idea of how it’s going to work, JetBoom ?

• @JOHN:

can’t do it with models, you’d have to download a shitload of new models for all the different possible combinations. 7 per character.

In the end… would lag less though then entities everywhere.

No.
    What I’m saying is if you attach the top bone of the chestplate to spine_4 and the middle bone of the chestplate to spine_3 and the bottom to spine_2. so whatever the character model does the chestplate follows. Once I rig my chestplate Ill explain with pretty pictures so you guys can see what I mean.

• wasn’t in reference to your posts beastery.  Just overall, trying to come up with a way that we won’t have to check all the possible character models to make sure it fits.

• That is what I’m saying, each playermodel has bones, the rig of bones they have are the same through out all the models.
    Body/head/leg sizes aren’t that different; so long as the model isn’t smaller than any of them, it wouldnt matter. Though it could look oversized just a tiny bit.

• @PaperJack:

I think a more urgent question is how armour should affect gameplay.
    Do you already have an idea of how it’s going to work, JetBoom ?

Different armor types protect against (or may even be harmful) vs each damage type. Similar to Tribes RPG but with a bunch more than just DEF and MDEF. Maybe speed loss for particularly heavy armor. I’d say the best armor available might protect against all the physical damage types up to like 60%. Something like armor you get at 10 crafting skill might protect for 10% - 15%.

• @JetBoom:

Can’t work that way. Armor pieces need to be able to parent themselves to a specific bone or attachment.

Okay, just make it helmet, chest, and boots then.

By chest I mean something like this:

It only covers the actual torso, not arms or legs along with it.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.