Territory control and small properties

• Administrators

Territory control in this is planned to work similar to Tribes RPG but have a lot more features and stuff put in to make owning land mean something.

For LARGE territories like towns, villages, and such:
    First off, instead of making it so all you need to do is hit a switch and hold it for 30 seconds, there will be a siege system in place. The owners of the territory have the ability (and duty) to set their own desired time in which the territory becomes vulnerable. The time frame is thought to be about 2 hours, every day. During this time the entire territory is allowed to be taken over by enemy guilds / clans / factions / whatevers. The owners also can use a shield of sorts that allows them to become invulnerable one day per week, usable by the leader or someone with sufficient rank. You also need to specify a time that people are actually on, so the time will be restricted from 2PM to 10PM. The exact method of taking over is not entirely clear right now.

For SMALL territories like houses, storefronts, and such (AKA properties from NOXRP):
    Anyone can own these. They are not destroyable and act similar to the properties in noxrp. Ownership is not final, you rent these. If the property is in a territory then the proceeds go to the clan that owns the territory. You choose the amount of time you want to rent (anywhere from an hour to 7 real-life days) and then you can extend the rental period up to 7 real-life days at any time. The money requirement is generated on request. If you lose your property because you didn’t pay the rent then anything locked down is transferred to your bank storage.

• Administrators

Territory control in this is planned to work similar to Tribes RPG but have a lot more features and stuff put in to make owning land mean something.

For LARGE territories like towns, villages, and such:
    First off, instead of making it so all you need to do is hit a switch and hold it for 30 seconds, there will be a siege system in place. The owners of the territory have the ability (and duty) to set their own desired time in which the territory becomes vulnerable. The time frame is thought to be about 2 hours, every day. During this time the entire territory is allowed to be taken over by enemy guilds / clans / factions / whatevers. The owners also can use a shield of sorts that allows them to become invulnerable one day per week, usable by the leader or someone with sufficient rank. You also need to specify a time that people are actually on, so the time will be restricted from 2PM to 10PM. The exact method of taking over is not entirely clear right now.

For SMALL territories like houses, storefronts, and such (AKA properties from NOXRP):
    Anyone can own these. They are not destroyable and act similar to the properties in noxrp. Ownership is not final, you rent these. If the property is in a territory then the proceeds go to the clan that owns the territory. You choose the amount of time you want to rent (anywhere from an hour to 7 real-life days) and then you can extend the rental period up to 7 real-life days at any time. The money requirement is generated on request. If you lose your property because you didn’t pay the rent then anything locked down is transferred to your bank storage.

• So fucking cool. I hereby affirm that I will be making/joining a fucking retardly large clan.  And can’t wait.

• Administrators

Each property could have a base hourly cost which doesn’t go to anyone (money sink). In addition to that base rent, officers of the faction controlling the town could set a residential tax (from, say, 10% up to 100% of the rent) and a commercial tax (10% to 200%). When additional time is purchased, that tax goes to their coffers. Factions that set very high taxes would be hated by citizens, which could result in interesting situations.

Raw material on conquerable territories could also benefit factions in a similar way. Officers would have the ability to set a harvesting tax. If it’s 10%, then 1 out of 10 items (ore) gathered at a given location (a mine) would be sent to the faction’s bank.

• Will we be able to place turrets\npc guards\something to help us defend during a siege?

Also, what about having the siege similar to the teamplay destroy-the-core gamemode ?
    When you destroy the core, the ownership of the territory goes to the killer.
    However, unless you want attrition wars, make the core repairable.

• @Zetanor:

Each property could have a base hourly cost which doesn’t go to anyone (money sink). In addition to that base rent, officers of the faction controlling the town could set a residential tax (from, say, 10% up to 100% of the rent) and a commercial tax (10% to 200%). When additional time is purchased, that tax goes to their coffers. Factions that set very high taxes would be hated by citizens, which could result in interesting situations.

Make the upper limit much much higher then 200%.  make it more like capitalism

• Administrators

Or make the shops only pay the base rent. However, the faction can impose a tax on every item sold.

• Ok, but be careful to prevent abuse with that.  No idea how the inventory/banking system will work but I am assuming there is a limited inventory in both, a store with prices in the billions would be a way to skip the limit.

• I think that there shouldn’t be any npc shops, everything should be made by players. When you drop an item in your home, you should be able to make it so that others can buy it by setting the price or something.

There should be various skills like, weaponmaking, chemistry, etc. that are used instead of the normal skills in the “item-creation raids”.
    For example, Bob the Chemist, which has a really high chemistry skill, is trying to make a ultimate-revival-potion. To do so, he has to fight across the five planes of revival-chemistry.
    While he is really weak against normal mobs, when he is transported into the chemistry raid world he becomes godlike because he has a really high chemistry skill. A high-level knight, with little to none chemistry skills, would be nigh-useless in there.
    Bob kills off all the evil chemo-rapists guardians and when he returns to the normal world he has succesfully completed the potion of ultimate-revival.

These “crafters” would buy the required raw materials from the “adventurers” and the “adventurers” will buy items from the “crafters”, and so the economy should work.
    Of course, it shouldn’t be really possible to make a character that’s both a crafter and an adventurer as that will probably imbalance the game.

• Administrators

@JOHN:

Ok, but be careful to prevent abuse with that.  No idea how the inventory/banking system will work but I am assuming there is a limited inventory in both, a store with prices in the billions would be a way to skip the limit.

What limit?

PaperJack, I suggest you read the discussion thread.

• Administrators

I was thinking over the siege system. The very fact that there exists a coded system for sieges is the very opposite of sandbox. I was thinking of an alternative to having it so you have to follow some prescripted sequence and have the game officially declare you the owner of a place. Instead, what if I just give players the option of crafting things like doors, bridges, barricades, whatever and letting the players decide who owns the city or territory?

You want a guild bank? Craft a lockable metal box and put the box in some secure place. You want people to know you own the place? Craft some banners, tapestries, signs and hang them up. Defense? Make some crafted traps and throw them down or make a gate controlled by a winch and lever.

“Craftable, deployable, destroyable” is the motto.

• Hmm. I do like the trapping idea. But is crafting traps just for home defense or could these be deployed into the world?

And what about upgradable/Better versions of things like bridges, doors, etc?

• Administrators

What I had in mind is that you could deploy faction stones basically everywhere on the map, and that you can only build within a radius of the stone. You can expand your building zones by placing out building zone expanders that you can link back to the faction stone(kind of like the power in nox tp)

• Administrators

Anywhere you want. The owner takes the heat from anyone stepping on them or maybe you can set it to only trigger on hostiles. It’s just an idea. The main idea I’m trying to convey is that players decide who owns a territory simply by telling everyone who goes there “we own this place, leave or die”. If you don’t like that, then you kill them and tell them you own it.

There would of course be incentives for people to do this such as rich resources, resurrection gates, safety (and taxing players inside for that safety), etc.

• @AtomiC:

What I had in mind is that you could deploy faction stones basically everywhere on the map, and that you can only build within a radius of the stone. You can expand your building zones by placing out building zone expanders that you can link back to the faction stone(kind of like the power in nox tp)

And if anyone wants to take over, they destroy/touch/whatever the faction stone, kinda like TribesRPG. Granted there are no guards and traps to stop invaders.

• Wurm online has something a lot like what i think you’re trying to envision here. They have a deed system that has you purchase an area of land. Within that area of land you can build things and they get buffs against damage and what not. However, if you don’t have the money to purchase a deed, you can still build things, they just don’t get bonuses. Each of these deeds have a certain pre-determined size that you can upgrade to a bigger size. To do this however, your upkeep for the deed is increased. Within this deed you can also hire npc guards to help defend it in the event that you aren’t online at the time and it gets attacked. Allowing you to keep control of the city if the attacking force is full of weak noobs or an under-sized force.

Of course you can change any of these things if it doesn’t suit the idea of the game.

Or am i reading this all wrong?

• A few people tried this on NoXRP. We tried to control the antlions and mines when ever we were on. The problem was that when ever one of us died the territory was basically lost. Logging off for more then a few minutes resulted in territory lost. Moving away from territory meant territory lost. No one wants to play when what they get required 24 hour suppervision to keep.

• Didn’t NoxRP have turrets?

• Nope.

• Huh. Well hopefully this time around there will be some sort of NPC guard for hire

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.