Dragon Age: Origins

• Since there isn’t a real thread up about this game, I’m going to post a summary/review regardless of how much you morons hate single player games.

Pros:

• A good, while unoriginal, story.
    • Lengthy enough to hold my interest (might be a con for you).
    • Generally not having to worry about “Is this too hard for me?”
    • Interesting Origin stories (basically where your character is from).
    • Bad-ass deathblow moves, especially for bosses.
    • Combat animations done right.
    • Runs very smoothly and impressively on a low-end PC like mine.
    • Tactics system relieves you of most of the combat micromanagement.
    • You get a dog. If you abandon or refuse said dog, I will find where you live and murder you.
    • Is quite stylish. The codex system, and generally the feel of the game makes it seem like a single player MMO, albeit with a plot line and dialog that actually talks.
    • Achievements. Who doesn’t like it when a game tells you that you just did something bad ass?

Cons:

• Dialog a bit querky, sometimes you run into companion dialog bugs
    • A ton of load times, also due to a memory leak that has yet to be fixed, the longer the game is played, the longer the load times get. I generally restart the game every 2 hours to keep the load times low(ish)
    • EXTREMELY long game, may be too long for some people to keep interested.
    • If you’re intelligent with your using of abilities, tactics, and equipment, the game may become too easy for you. It’s pretty obvious it was designed so stupid people could beat it even on normal. If this is the case, I suggest Hard or Nightmare mode. Also nightmare really is a nightmare.
    • Game has trouble keeping on track. Without giving away too many spoilers, heres an example: You to get into some ruins to kill a creature to dispel a curse. Along the way you are sidetracked at every turn, and have to explore absurd amounts of the ruins which all lead off to other puzzles and such nonsense when you really just want to get the quest done.
    • Inventory system is a bit small. Compared with the long load times, its hard to find a balance between “pick up everything” and “only stuff you need”. Inventory fills up fast.
    • Archer characters and Arcane Warriors are pretty overpowered. Get 2 archers 1 arcane warrior and 1 spirit healer in your party and you’re set the whole game.
    • Extremely hard to get large amounts of gold without cheating. Most really good equipment is bought (or so I’ve seen), and they usually cost 100+ more gold. After completely a significant chunk of the storyline, I had barely over 200.
    • Online profile is quite buggy. Often get notice of disconnections or server errors in the middle of the game. The online profile is used for uploading screenshots, achievements, and I don’t know what else. It doesn’t seem to impact gameplay, but I’ve seen people complain and say the game won’t let them play without being logged in to an online account. I’ve never experienced this problem.

Also, a small gripe from me: why the FUCK doesn’t the travel screen load WHILE its making the little “going from here to there” animation? It takes all the time to spill the little drops of blood then hits me with a loading screen when they could just have easily either made it load WHILE that animation is going on, or making the animation itself something of a load bar. Poor design choice.

In reality, most of the cons are very small problem that could be easily fixed with a single patch. Hopefully they will be. The only real major issue is that memory leak.

I give it an 8.7/10, and my recommendation.

• Since there isn’t a real thread up about this game, I’m going to post a summary/review regardless of how much you morons hate single player games.

Pros:

• A good, while unoriginal, story.
    • Lengthy enough to hold my interest (might be a con for you).
    • Generally not having to worry about “Is this too hard for me?”
    • Interesting Origin stories (basically where your character is from).
    • Bad-ass deathblow moves, especially for bosses.
    • Combat animations done right.
    • Runs very smoothly and impressively on a low-end PC like mine.
    • Tactics system relieves you of most of the combat micromanagement.
    • You get a dog. If you abandon or refuse said dog, I will find where you live and murder you.
    • Is quite stylish. The codex system, and generally the feel of the game makes it seem like a single player MMO, albeit with a plot line and dialog that actually talks.
    • Achievements. Who doesn’t like it when a game tells you that you just did something bad ass?

Cons:

• Dialog a bit querky, sometimes you run into companion dialog bugs
    • A ton of load times, also due to a memory leak that has yet to be fixed, the longer the game is played, the longer the load times get. I generally restart the game every 2 hours to keep the load times low(ish)
    • EXTREMELY long game, may be too long for some people to keep interested.
    • If you’re intelligent with your using of abilities, tactics, and equipment, the game may become too easy for you. It’s pretty obvious it was designed so stupid people could beat it even on normal. If this is the case, I suggest Hard or Nightmare mode. Also nightmare really is a nightmare.
    • Game has trouble keeping on track. Without giving away too many spoilers, heres an example: You to get into some ruins to kill a creature to dispel a curse. Along the way you are sidetracked at every turn, and have to explore absurd amounts of the ruins which all lead off to other puzzles and such nonsense when you really just want to get the quest done.
    • Inventory system is a bit small. Compared with the long load times, its hard to find a balance between “pick up everything” and “only stuff you need”. Inventory fills up fast.
    • Archer characters and Arcane Warriors are pretty overpowered. Get 2 archers 1 arcane warrior and 1 spirit healer in your party and you’re set the whole game.
    • Extremely hard to get large amounts of gold without cheating. Most really good equipment is bought (or so I’ve seen), and they usually cost 100+ more gold. After completely a significant chunk of the storyline, I had barely over 200.
    • Online profile is quite buggy. Often get notice of disconnections or server errors in the middle of the game. The online profile is used for uploading screenshots, achievements, and I don’t know what else. It doesn’t seem to impact gameplay, but I’ve seen people complain and say the game won’t let them play without being logged in to an online account. I’ve never experienced this problem.

Also, a small gripe from me: why the FUCK doesn’t the travel screen load WHILE its making the little “going from here to there” animation? It takes all the time to spill the little drops of blood then hits me with a loading screen when they could just have easily either made it load WHILE that animation is going on, or making the animation itself something of a load bar. Poor design choice.

In reality, most of the cons are very small problem that could be easily fixed with a single patch. Hopefully they will be. The only real major issue is that memory leak.

I give it an 8.7/10, and my recommendation.

• It is such a good rpg, it’s just a shame I don’t like how the combat works, never did with any of the baldur’s gates.

• Completed one origins story in 50 hours, grey warden treaties take forever to complete in the dwarven city and felt like a grind going through that cave to kill a rogue (guess i shouldn’t of helped lord harrowmont) - my favourite part about it was when the abomination sends you to sleep and you complete some puzzles using transformation. Overall a gg.

• god damn morrigan is a bitch

• @Roger:

when the abomination sends you to sleep

I’m at this part even as I type this up.

• I didn’t think the load times were bad unless I was playing the game for several hours then they started to slow down progressively.

Relationships part was cute. Lelianna is such a sweet person :3

There’s a lot of story in that game I’ve been trying to figure out through multiple playthroughs. I found out Morrigan’s purpose(s) and I wanted to do some more study on Orzammar since I never made a dwarf.

• Im getting it for christmas , it looks epic!!

• I never even got Lelianna as a party member.

I did get 100% approval, plus sex scene, with Morrigan, while not being batshit evil.

• My game threads get no replies since they are incredibly hard to troll, apparently.

• Morrigan is easy. She’d give it up to an ant if she could derive some sort of pleasure out of it. As I talked with her more I realized she’s not completely evil. She’s more of the cynical, arrogant type only really interested in her own goals.

Lelianna was another story. I tried raising my approval with her like I did Morrigan, which was just talking and gifts. I came to find out that though I did have a relationship with her, it wasn’t on Love status, even when it should’ve been and that to get there, events have to happen in the game to trigger those conversations, but first I had to break up with her then wait for those events and get back with her then.

I broke up with Morrigan before I went after Lelianna and some time later I was able to be her friend. That dialogue was pretty interesting but (to avoid spoilers) she just goes on about how she never had that kind of relationship being just friends.

I stay away from Zevran. He goes gay for you after like 1 conversation.

• no they’re just bad games

• Zevran decided to be a little bitch and try to kill me again.

I practically one-shot him the moment that happened.

• Neverwinter Nights without D&D. Pass.

• I never got into dragons and swords and magic and whatever.
    I even passed up Oblivion.

Nice review, though.

• You’re dumb.

• I have it it’s pretty good and Keeps you entertained for a while.

• This game kind of scares me because my friend says he saw dwarves have sex. Dwarf sex dosent sound pleasant

• I think it was one of the first few RPGs in a while that I actually replayed. The combat gets really dull after you killed massive amounts of people though. I try to kill them really quick now just to try out each alternative ending.  :laugh:

Not trying to spoil much but I think my female mage origin made me want to replay for an alternate Alistair romance option.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.