Dumb things to put in your obby maps

• 1. Spinning platforms.
    I am talking about the platforms that are on a motor that you have to go round on. At best it’s fucking difficult to get on them because whenever I land on it i slip off, but also getting off provides the same problem. If you really must add one, then make it go slowly.

2. "Guessing Games"
    I just played a map called “bridge” where the object was to jump on coloured PHX panels or Errors for me (fuck you, I am not downloading a bunch of shitty models so i can make some equally shitty contraptions, and in any case, obby maps aren’t meant to have it). Some of them were nocollided so in essence it was 20 mins or so of trial and error to get to the end. This isn’t fun, it’s just boring.

3. Player controlled puzzles
    Tower of terror comes to mind, with the end bit requiring you to press buttons to move the platform. With only you there it is fun, with anyone else, its a nightmare as they will always try and recall the platform when you are trying to make your jump.

4. “Luck” puzzles
    What i mean by this are puzzles which have eg. super fast spinning props. Where your only chance is to jump into it and hope that somehow you will be flung out of it alive.

5. Fake props
    Fuck you.
    (see pt. 2 for more info)

6. Unfrozen Props
    Jumping off them is glitchy as fuck. Stop making dumb rope bridges with them.

I’m sure I will come up with more.

• 1. Spinning platforms.
    I am talking about the platforms that are on a motor that you have to go round on. At best it’s fucking difficult to get on them because whenever I land on it i slip off, but also getting off provides the same problem. If you really must add one, then make it go slowly.

2. "Guessing Games"
    I just played a map called “bridge” where the object was to jump on coloured PHX panels or Errors for me (fuck you, I am not downloading a bunch of shitty models so i can make some equally shitty contraptions, and in any case, obby maps aren’t meant to have it). Some of them were nocollided so in essence it was 20 mins or so of trial and error to get to the end. This isn’t fun, it’s just boring.

Tower of terror comes to mind, with the end bit requiring you to press buttons to move the platform. With only you there it is fun, with anyone else, its a nightmare as they will always try and recall the platform when you are trying to make your jump.

4. “Luck” puzzles
    What i mean by this are puzzles which have eg. super fast spinning props. Where your only chance is to jump into it and hope that somehow you will be flung out of it alive.

5. Fake props
    Fuck you.
    (see pt. 2 for more info)

6. Unfrozen Props
    Jumping off them is glitchy as fuck. Stop making dumb rope bridges with them.

I’m sure I will come up with more.

• 7. Fake endings.

I’m looking at you, ReXeN.

• thanks for the ideas, ill be putting all of them in my next course, ob_carpaltunnel

• oh my god, seconded on everything

• 8. Anything that requires skills, omgih8dissooooomuch

• @Alfie:

8. Anything that requires skills, omgih8dissooooomuch

twitchfucking is a boring skill to learn

• mazes require guesswork,

bridge takes a few minutes with teamwork,

its not like a leap of faith or a fake platform in the middle of an obstacle course, which is obviously dumb.

• I am sorry, but Bridge is stupid. There is no skill involved. A good course should have skillful jumps, puzzle solving and dodging moving things. Random guesswork is not fun.
    I am not that good with E2 or wire but maybe you could somehow make Bridge randomly generated each time. The gameplay would still suck, but at least it would be different each time.

• I know the bridge off my heart, just like 60 bazillion other players.

• Those roped up hanging things get really annoying…  Always seem to slip.

• oh yeah, and stop testing your courses in singleplayer

the jump height in there is different to the point where you don’t even need to duckjump to get ontop a hl2 wooden crate

• @Zincoshine:

rainbow shitty, polyfailmatic

wow

Also removing every single lame map is a great idea.

• @Kris2456:

Yes let’s take out some interactivity in a map just because you can get thrown off a few times before you get to the hooks (oh no I have to take an extra 3 seconds to let someone go before me who will probably just fall off anyway, whatever will I do)

If people had to take out every single griefable aspect of maps, there would be no moving props other than motors that instantly gib you.  There would be nothing but jump courses, mazes, and guessing games (and even then that can be griefable with the party leader veering off a platform with 2000 followers behind him, all plunging to their death).  The point is that you either have to A: accept kids can be annoying little shits or B: ban them if they’re being repeat offenders, if applicable.

also I only see people doing that if the person on the platform in question has some kind of personal conflict one way or another with the remote control kid back at the clock, so yeah

• @Alfie:

I know the bridge off my heart, just like 60 bazillion other players.

I do too.

In my opinion these are all fail besides the guess jumps and super spinning props, also you should add not to make it super super hard. Minges wont shut the f**k up if its a hard map they will whine and say “I r teh sux change the map pl0x”.

• Maybe everyone could make two paths in their maps: easy and hard, where easy is 13x longer than hard, and is used as practice, while hard is full of skill jumps etc and leads to the winner button

@JetBoom- why isnt ob_threeway in yet? :(

• @Meow:

Maybe everyone could make two paths in their maps: easy and hard, where easy is 13x longer than hard, and is used as practice, while hard is full of skill jumps etc and leads to the winner button

@JetBoom- why isnt ob_threeway in yet? :(

bad map

• I haven’t played a single good map on Obby to this point.

• I always have trouble jumping on things for some reason, whatever that map is called, Polytechnic, I am looking at you. Took an hour, only 2 people got the second part, with a lot of luck. :mad:

• 9. Unfrozen ragdolls (zombies on a rope)

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.