ZS_Marina

• So this is sort of an odd post and may already exist, but whatever I cant find it so here goes:

I am making a unique map that starts out very ordinary. It is an ocean marina with typical amounts of rooms, props, multiple floors etc. The water however is damaging to humans, but can be survived if a ladder or boat ramp is located quickly.

However, at round 6, a control room door unlocks which allows a lever to be thrown, which opens the gargantuan boathouse doors.

A buoyant physics yacht, present since round 1, begins moving forward slowly. It clears the doors and makes its way down the channel towards open water. The top speed of the bat is about full human running speed, and must be boarded at this time by players choosing to take refuge on it.

(the idea is: who the hell wouldnt want to get the fuck out of dodge)

It has 2 decks, a spacious elegant interior, and plenty of guard rails for safety. Although it is merely a prop, the boats immense mass value (500,000) ensures that players cannot nail the boat down before launch (will simply break), or destabilize it in motion, and the 2 water currents that propels posess a slight inward angle to correct any drift caused by unforeseen forces. The mass of the boat also allows it to be loaded with as many standard props as will fit, without noticeably submerging the the boat further.

The bridge raises, and the boat is in open water. It holds a straight course thanks to 2 underwater currents affecting only the hull. If humans fall off the boat at this time, theyre dead, but it the speed and weight of the boat make it ultra stable and safe to stand near the edge even at full speed.

The travsersable ocean extends clear across the map, and beyond that the skybox makes the ocean visibile into infinity, creating the illusion of vastness and helplessness. The skybox on the Marina will likely be an apocalyptic city scape

The speed of the boat is such that by the end of round 6, the boat has almost, but not quite reached the opposite wall of the map.

The yacht has 5 gas cans in a bin, which have modified for buoyancy via override, and possess extra explosive power. These are designed to be lobbed into the boats wake, giving the crippled humans 5 free grenade like attacks, but obviously not as powerful.

The zombies will attack the boat with a slight zombie-only current that pushes them towards it.

I have a few standardization questions at the moment, and I will have more eventually.

1. Is there a list of standard prop specs list for things such as shelves, crates, etc that I should use when populating my map with props?

2. Is there some LUA jet has implemented that will override these specs ? So I don’t have to waste time setting these values manually in the map.

3. What entities or funcs are globally banned in ZS so I avoid using them?

4. Whats the deal with human and zombie spawns? What entities and or special modifications determine their placement, and how does the green smoke tie in?

5. I suspect the boat may case lag issues if left a physics prop, so I must ask: does the server track every players position as the boat rocks on the waves? Or can client machines calculate physics motion, with some crc checking from the server? I really don’t want to make this boat a crappy track platform like the tram in Reactor if I don’t absolutely need to.

If it matters, the map will be designed with a slight disadvantage for humans. The idea is that only a FEW remaining humans get to ride the boat, not the whole team.

1. Are RT cams/screens especially laggy with 30ish people? I have a helicopter circling the map with a camera, displaying the events below on the plasma TV in the boats cabin which is supposed to represent live news coverage. Works amazing with just me :X

2. Any other foreseeable problems by any experienced mappers.

Thanks for any advice, here are some pics for now. Ill post more questions if they’re important enough.

• So this is sort of an odd post and may already exist, but whatever I cant find it so here goes:

I am making a unique map that starts out very ordinary. It is an ocean marina with typical amounts of rooms, props, multiple floors etc. The water however is damaging to humans, but can be survived if a ladder or boat ramp is located quickly.

However, at round 6, a control room door unlocks which allows a lever to be thrown, which opens the gargantuan boathouse doors.

A buoyant physics yacht, present since round 1, begins moving forward slowly. It clears the doors and makes its way down the channel towards open water. The top speed of the bat is about full human running speed, and must be boarded at this time by players choosing to take refuge on it.

(the idea is: who the hell wouldnt want to get the fuck out of dodge)

It has 2 decks, a spacious elegant interior, and plenty of guard rails for safety. Although it is merely a prop, the boats immense mass value (500,000) ensures that players cannot nail the boat down before launch (will simply break), or destabilize it in motion, and the 2 water currents that propels posess a slight inward angle to correct any drift caused by unforeseen forces. The mass of the boat also allows it to be loaded with as many standard props as will fit, without noticeably submerging the the boat further.

The bridge raises, and the boat is in open water. It holds a straight course thanks to 2 underwater currents affecting only the hull. If humans fall off the boat at this time, theyre dead, but it the speed and weight of the boat make it ultra stable and safe to stand near the edge even at full speed.

The travsersable ocean extends clear across the map, and beyond that the skybox makes the ocean visibile into infinity, creating the illusion of vastness and helplessness. The skybox on the Marina will likely be an apocalyptic city scape

The speed of the boat is such that by the end of round 6, the boat has almost, but not quite reached the opposite wall of the map.

The yacht has 5 gas cans in a bin, which have modified for buoyancy via override, and possess extra explosive power. These are designed to be lobbed into the boats wake, giving the crippled humans 5 free grenade like attacks, but obviously not as powerful.

The zombies will attack the boat with a slight zombie-only current that pushes them towards it.

I have a few standardization questions at the moment, and I will have more eventually.

1. Is there a list of standard prop specs list for things such as shelves, crates, etc that I should use when populating my map with props?

2. Is there some LUA jet has implemented that will override these specs ? So I don’t have to waste time setting these values manually in the map.

3. What entities or funcs are globally banned in ZS so I avoid using them?

4. Whats the deal with human and zombie spawns? What entities and or special modifications determine their placement, and how does the green smoke tie in?

5. I suspect the boat may case lag issues if left a physics prop, so I must ask: does the server track every players position as the boat rocks on the waves? Or can client machines calculate physics motion, with some crc checking from the server? I really don’t want to make this boat a crappy track platform like the tram in Reactor if I don’t absolutely need to.

If it matters, the map will be designed with a slight disadvantage for humans. The idea is that only a FEW remaining humans get to ride the boat, not the whole team.

1. Are RT cams/screens especially laggy with 30ish people? I have a helicopter circling the map with a camera, displaying the events below on the plasma TV in the boats cabin which is supposed to represent live news coverage. Works amazing with just me :X

2. Any other foreseeable problems by any experienced mappers.

Thanks for any advice, here are some pics for now. Ill post more questions if they’re important enough.

• 1. Duely noted

2. Basically, do I need to worry about altering weight values or health on props? if so, what are the standard values? Hammer defaults?

3. No elevators check. Learned that lesson from good old viruslabs. I do however need func door rotating for the bridge, but will make the doors free swinging.

4. How do I specify human spawn entitys vs zombie spawn entities?

5. Are props scripted to be more deady in zs than say sandbox? In sandbox I slide around a little, and some rails and walls are a bit sticky, but i never take damage. Boat moves extremely fluid, not jerkily.

6. Camera removed.

Advice much appreciated

• i thought for a second that boat was made out of brushes

• @ApwnInTheDark:

Although it is merely a prop, the boats immense mass value (500,000) ensures that players cannot nail the boat down before launch (will simply break), or destabilize it in motion.

You’d be surprised how innovative the ZS players can be on things like this And this is the wrong section, this belongs in mapping.

• I like this.

• Wrong section.

Also i would suggest you use a func_tracktrain for the boat. Making it a physics prop is asking for trouble.

@Zincoshine:

there is a way to prevent things from being nailed. kris knows more.

Look in the mapping thread for an entity called logic_barricade or something like that.

• have your stability tests included 30+ players ?

• At least in obby, having 30 people hump a moving prop is never a good thing.

• Making the boat a physics object will cause massive physics lag and tons of griefing.  Have you ever played the pirate ship wars gamemode? (Only playable with a few people) Making the boat a ‘train’ will be better but will also become expensive and glitchy the more people are on it and the more entities you parent to it.  The only other option is a static boat with the illusion of it moving with effects such as scrolling textures (a good example is the TF2 map CTF_Convoy)

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.