What Obby needs:

• 1. Quality assurance team. A few people who play submitted maps and make sure they aren’t bullshit/impossible/take too long/whatever.

2. No strafe jumping. This is a stupid abuse of a physics engine glitch that 90% of the people do not know how to do.

3. No incredibly hard traps. Challenging is fun, getting killed over and over by a rotating log that’s going as fast as a zombie blade trap isn’t.

4. No incredibly hard jumps. Expecting a player to make a jump that is the absolute MAXIMUM possible distance is dumb. Give a little leeway.

5. Properly placed checkpoints. Before every difficult jump or series of jumps there should be a checkpoint.

6. When REALLY up-close, other players should be totally invisible, not just transparent. It’s hard to jump on top of a single bone gib prop when there are 20 people on it.

If I missed something, post and I’ll add it to the list.

Some things Blue.Frog suggests:

Custom Entities:

• Heal powerup. Just walk over it. Respawn time can be set, heals however much health maker sets.
    • Speed (increases speed by set amount, can also decrease speed)
    • Shrink/grow.
    • Invincibility. (used to make something time-based i.e. you have to complete it before the invincibility runs out or you die).
    • Fire Mine
    • Turret (Like the auto-turret from teamplay. Things you could set: Projectile (plasma, pulse, props), scan intervals (would display red/green light when inactive/active, could be used to make a red light green light sort of thing.)

Custom Tools:

• Prop spawner that spawns something every tick, otherwise acts like a normal prop spawner. The props spawned also retain the material and color of the spawner.
    • All of the noxbox tools. Fan, teleporters, weapon caches, etc.

Stat tracking:

• Total number of wins in 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th
    • Total number of deaths
    • Checklist of completed courses and any records that might be held on them
    • Ratio of deaths to completed courses

Other:

• Whenever silver rewards are added, they should factor in the following: People in server, position (1st, 2nd, etc), individual time taken, individual deaths, total deaths, how many others finished, how long the round took to end.
    • Dexterity moves from the merger with an option to have them disabled/enabled based on map.
    • Jukebox? Link to a site that streams songs.

• 1. Quality assurance team. A few people who play submitted maps and make sure they aren’t bullshit/impossible/take too long/whatever.

2. No strafe jumping. This is a stupid abuse of a physics engine glitch that 90% of the people do not know how to do.

3. No incredibly hard traps. Challenging is fun, getting killed over and over by a rotating log that’s going as fast as a zombie blade trap isn’t.

4. No incredibly hard jumps. Expecting a player to make a jump that is the absolute MAXIMUM possible distance is dumb. Give a little leeway.

5. Properly placed checkpoints. Before every difficult jump or series of jumps there should be a checkpoint.

6. When REALLY up-close, other players should be totally invisible, not just transparent. It’s hard to jump on top of a single bone gib prop when there are 20 people on it.

Some things Blue.Frog suggests:

Custom Entities:

• Heal powerup. Just walk over it. Respawn time can be set, heals however much health maker sets.
    • Shrink/grow.
    • Invincibility. (used to make something time-based i.e. you have to complete it before the invincibility runs out or you die).
    • Fire Mine
    • Turret (Like the auto-turret from teamplay. Things you could set: Projectile (plasma, pulse, props), scan intervals (would display red/green light when inactive/active, could be used to make a red light green light sort of thing.)

Custom Tools:

• Prop spawner that spawns something every tick, otherwise acts like a normal prop spawner. The props spawned also retain the material and color of the spawner.

Stat tracking:

• Total number of deaths

Other:

• Whenever silver rewards are added, they should factor in the following: People in server, position (1st, 2nd, etc), individual time taken, individual deaths, total deaths, how many others finished, how long the round took to end.
    • Dexterity moves from the merger with an option to have them disabled/enabled based on map.

• Yeah, I like the testers thing, I’d be happy to be one if possible.

• All props that aren’t hydraulic’d, roped, axis’d, any other moving constraint thing should be frozen, dunno if Jet can do that though…

• Course-makers just need to remember that obstacle courses on not JUST jumping and dodging. Kind of like HL2’s logic obstacles in some parts of it’s storyline.

• Suggestion 1 is fine, but 2-5 are just MAKE IT EASY FOR ME.

although i do agree that airstrafing is a dick move.

• I can’t airstrafe. Can somebody tell me how to do it ?

• It’s much harder at the speed Jet made it, dunno why he did.

• isn’t the speed on the Obby server the exact same as a default listen or dedicated server

I can’t tell the difference in speeds when I apply them

also how the christ can you not airstrafe, you hold down the strafe key of choice while in the air and turn your view towards where you want to go, not dissimilar to what you do to bunnyhop in quake 3 or something

also OP is dumb about everything forever except maybe airstrafing.  Truth be told I used this in three jumps in my tower map but I don’t intend on using it again unless I need to make some kind of corner obstacle (I didn’t use it in frog pond either).

• @Mystry:

1. No

2. No strafe jumping. This is a stupid abuse of a physics engine glitch which mystry cries about.

3. No incredibly hard traps. Challenging is fun, getting killed over and over by a rotating log that’s going as fast as a zombie blade trap is challenging.

4. No incredibly hard jumps. Expecting a player to make a jump that is the absolute MAXIMUM possible distance is for elitist pro. Give little leeway.

5. Properly placed checkpoints. Before the course and 2 or 3 during it, depending on length.

6. When REALLY up-close, other players should be totally invisible, not just transparent. It’s hard to jump on top of a single bone gib prop when there are 20 people on it. yes

If I did it wrong, quote me and change it.

• mystery couldnt do the blue barrels on bootcamp, so he swore at me for the entire hour

• @Mystry:

1. Quality assurance team. A few people who play submitted maps and make sure they aren’t bullshit/impossible/take too long/whatever.

1. Agree, but probably would not be organised enough.

2. Strafe jumps are fine, as long as they are not
    a) massive
    b) something stupid, like landing on a coke can (the map that starts with the blue barrels comes to mind)
    I can see that some people do not know how to do them. Perhaps the f1 menu should have a short guide?

3. Agree. Even if there is a checkpoint before it, it still gets infuriating. At the very least, it makes people leave the server espc. when someone thought it would be a smart idea to have the first puzzle be near impossible.

4. Same as 3, though i haven’t seen that many jumps that are hard because they are far away.

5. Agreed. Also in this category is having puzzles that start somewhat easy and take a while before you get to just before the checkpoint, where there is some near impossible obstacle. Nothing pisses me off more than having to trek 3 miles only to have 1 more shot at some dumb rope bridge or other such trap.

6. I set my radius quite high, and it is better.

• @xRdJx:

mystery couldnt do the blue barrels on bootcamp, so he swore at me for the entire hour

lol

• haha: Fuuuuuuu -1/2 hour later- ckeeeeeeee -1/2 hr- rrr.

• I joined at five minutes left on boot camp and got 3/4ths of it done before the timer ended on me

there was in excess of 20 people down at the barrels

• BootCamp needs one more tele on level two then it’ll be fine.

Also mile_high or whatever… JET ADD A TELE BEFORE THE LOG OR SOME SHIT! Doing the fast log spin jump, then a strafe jump (at obby’s fucking fast speed), then a spinning log, then a insanely fast roundabout spinning… then finally! A teleporter! BLISS! I never got that fucking far though because of the spinning log.

• Actually I couldn’t do the complete faggot 3-in-a-row strafe jump shit that RDJ put on the map, and that’s what had me swearing at him.

Also anyone disagreeing with me or saying its just me whining about strafe jumping is an idiot.

• You’re just whining because you can’t do it.

• I also gave up on the triple strafe jump.
    With a lot of practice i could probably do it, but that’s missing the point.

• Some ideas I had:

Custom Entities:

• Shrink/grow.
    • Fire Mine

Custom Tools:

Stat tracking:

• Total number of deaths

Other:

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.