[WIP] nox2d_Metroid_Brinstar + questions

• I have a few questions about mapping for Mario Boxes I’d like to address before I jump into it.

1. Death sounds - Is it possible to alter sound you here when you die? Instead of the Mario death tune.
    2. Is it possible to make destroyable objects in a map that respawn after a set time?
    3. Is it possible to make destroyable objects that spawn weapons/powerups?
    4. Is there some way to trigger a grapple release via map? I want to make a 2nd layer to save space, but I hate grapple glitches.
    5. Concerning Music - Is there a way to cause one short track to play, then a looping second track plays? (this may just be a general mapping quesiton)
    6. Is there a way to lock the cameras vertical movement at certain points of the map, or at all?

I’m looking towards making some maps based on some classic side-scrolling games from NES or Gameboy. I’d love to achieve some effects that fit the games the maps are from.

• I have a few questions about mapping for Mario Boxes I’d like to address before I jump into it.

1. Death sounds - Is it possible to alter sound you here when you die? Instead of the Mario death tune.
    2. Is it possible to make destroyable objects in a map that respawn after a set time?
    3. Is it possible to make destroyable objects that spawn weapons/powerups?
    4. Is there some way to trigger a grapple release via map? I want to make a 2nd layer to save space, but I hate grapple glitches.
    5. Concerning Music - Is there a way to cause one short track to play, then a looping second track plays? (this may just be a general mapping quesiton)
    6. Is there a way to lock the cameras vertical movement at certain points of the map, or at all?

I’m looking towards making some maps based on some classic side-scrolling games from NES or Gameboy. I’d love to achieve some effects that fit the games the maps are from.

• 1. I can create a mapping entity.
    2. Hammer can do this with template makers.
    3. Again, template makers or you can enable and disable things.
    4. There is currently no way to do this. If you mean make a surface that can’t be grappled on to then I think vphysics clip does this.
    5. Don’t know.
    6. I can create a mapping entity.

• For the first question, you can already do that by pakking it into the map, unless it still causes problems across maps.
    As for the mid-looping music, audio editing programs like Audacity or Goldwave have a feature to flag a position where you can usually loop in between the file. There might be a tutorial out there to add them in your map.

• You could put both tracks in the same wav or mp3 and then put a cue point at the end of the file that puts it back to the second song.

• 1. I don’t recommend pakrating replacement wav’s for the default sound effects.  They often sound distorted (ex: the death sound in castlevania), can carry over to other maps, and can cause players to crash (happened when I tried to replace a bunch of sounds).
    2. Templates are the way to go. Be careful not to spawn objects dead center in the track or they will jam and cause lag.
    3. I’ve never tried to ‘dynamically’ spawn a weapon.  It might work with a template.
    4. No way to stop grappling that I know of.
    5. The most efficient and clean way to play a sound and then repeat another (clientside, no delays from loading at different times)  would be to merge the two sounds into a single wav (mp3’s can’t loop) and set the cue point to the middle so that when it repeats, it jumps back midway to the second sound.  Then have this wav loop in a single soundscape with infinite range (soundscapes must be placed in front of the box track since the player is actually outside)
    6. Ask Jetboom.

• 4. There is currently no way to do this. If you mean make a surface that can’t be grappled on to then I think vphysics clip does this.

Doesn’t work. Why not simply fix the grapple glitch that he mentioned? see this ban request for a detailed explanation about it: http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=10106.0

• Thank you all for the replies, I’ve begun the first steps on a map design.

Here is a layout preview on how it will look.

Metroid - Brinstar

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8692/brinstarnox2dbeta.png

Also, on the grapple glitch - What I meant was when you grapple someone and hop on a teleporter, which causes the target to sometimes teleport off the map and get stuck or die.
    The one you mentioned above could be fixed, in my opinion, if the bolt was made intangible to all players, not just the shooter.

• it looks a bit too linear, the middle of the map is just two tight bottlenecks and no one is likely to go all the way up to that dead end on each side on top just to get a level 4 tier weapon.

Looks really nice otherwise, would be awesome to see a metroid-themed map

• Well, I guess I approach map design with a bit of bias. The first thing I look at with weapon/power up/defense spawns is the potential for greifing. More specifically, spawn camping. Thus the lack of health and defense spawns within proximity of the player spawns.

Also, one thing I’ve noticed with maps with limited teir 4 spawns is that they tend to be the first thing players go for. I want the Rocket launcher, Magic Missile, etc (Especially the mortar!) to be out of the way, as if to make a bit of work for the wepaon advantage.

In my opinion, the Metroid style vertical sections seem to encourage good ol’ stomping to kill boxes.

Also, there will be a hidden section too, maybe with a T5 weapon spawn.

• It doesn’t need a hidden T5 weapon, it needs something more at the end of the dead-end hallway…… maybe a jetpack? or you could just leave it, its my sole opinion really.

• Maybe I can add a T3 powerup spawn at the end of the pipe under the Chozo up there, one that’s hidden enough not to notice at first glance.

• Biggest complaint is how difficult it will be to carry the flag up all the vertical shafts.  Grapples/Fan/Jetpack is a MUST.  New players will grief unless there’s abundant grappling hooks.  Assuming those are breakable blocks above the flag shaft, if all of those bricks are broke, it would be impossible to jump out without a grappling hook.

The map size seems big, but not to big (assuming a 16x16game tile equates to a 48x48 Hammer block). A shortened vertical ascent would be nice.  As a personal preference, smaller maps have more action with few players and are generally more fun.

• well, I managed to rip the WAV for the music I need for this map, but I’ve never used Goldwave, so I’m not sure how to loop witha cue point.

Here is the file, do I need to alter the frequency or something to get it to work in a map for gmod? I imagine I’ll need to do something to cut down the file size.

http://rapidshare.com/files/306277379/01_Metroid.wav.html

• @Neko:

Biggest complaint is how difficult it will be to carry the flag up all the vertical shafts.  Grapples/Fan/Jetpack is a MUST.

A fan! i knew I forgot something… Also, I plan to have a fast repawn grapple near the player spawn. It’s marked with a G. There will be (now) Four t3 powerup spawns, so there shoudl be plenty of jetpacks. I might just change it to two T3, and two Jetpack spawns to lessen the amount if timescrollers.

• uuuh you’re got things a bit mixed up. powerup tier 3 is the jetpack. powerup tier 4 is the  timeroller.

@Neko:

Assuming those are breakable blocks above the flag shaft, if all of those bricks are broke, it would be impossible to jump out without a grappling hook.

no neko, its this:
    @MrSeagull:

destroyable objects in a map that respawn after a set time

• @MrSeagull:

Also, on the grapple glitch - What I meant was when you grapple someone and hop on a teleporter, which causes the target to sometimes teleport off the map and get stuck or die.
    The one you mentioned above could be fixed, in my opinion, if the bolt was made intangible to all players, not just the shooter.

oh god don’t remind me

I remember I was hooked onto doctordrew or something and darker one latched onto me while I was still grappled onto him and the server crashed

• I’m afraid it’s been awhile since I’ve work with mapping, and I’ve started working on the outlines. I have a few more questions.

1. What is the green Gordon Freeman thing that I see in every 2d map. Is it a required thing that’s just kinda put in there, but does nothing?

2. When working with toggleing brushes (Like the closeable gates in dream land flag spawns) is there a way to force a player out of the space the the appearing object occupies without killing em? I wanna make the blue doors in the metroid map open when you shoot them, and close after a set time, but I don’t want players suddenly gibbing when a door closes on them. Maybe I’ll make them hollow so you just need to shoot them again from the inside to open em.

3. What should I do to test this map once I’m near release? I can try installing the mod and running it locally, but it would only be myself then.

• That green gordon freeman is an info_player_start (the most basic spawn location), not needed, but used for testing the map in single player.  If a player is in a brush when it toggles to solid, it will sort of spaz and wiggle out maybe.  I recommend the hollow area between doorways. Please consider that not all weapons cause damage and the door could not be opened if they had either no weapon, a sword, grapple, fan, etc.  If you have confidence, just test it in sandbox, noclipping around (How we did it before the gamemode was released).  But since you can download the gamemode, test it with the gamemode by yourself.

• @Neko:

Please consider that not all weapons cause damage and the door could not be opened if they had either no weapon, a sword, grapple, fan, etc.

But I’ve seen objects (Yoshi’s house) for example, that are destroyed by contact with players or grapple shots. I’ll play around with the doors once I get them up, if they become too much of a hassle I will set them to open automatically once you’re near them or jsut remove them all together.

Also, I know about the mod being downloadable, that why I mentioned it in that question.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.