Obstacle Course server

• We now have an obstacle course gamemode in beta testing. The way it works is that obstacle courses are added to the map list itself and then the game will load the course on map start. In other words, we’re going to have advanced duplicated courses able to be voted for on the map list for a sort of death run server.

The difference between this and some CS:S deathrun is that first of all, the courses aren’t made in Hammer (although there’s support for that) and that there is only one team. First few people to beat the course get some amount of money and then the round ends. You can then vote for the map to change or vote to retry the course.

The courses are made by community members, not me or mappers. The gamemode isn’t done yet so for now what you can do is try and create courses. Here are the guidelines:

1. It can be done on any map you want. gm_flatgrass isn’t the only option.
    2. It uses the current version of our SandBox so make sure whatever you make is up to standards with it. This includes speed and jump height! The default speed for the SandBox is 250 and 400 sprinting. The jump height is the GMod default of 180.
    3. Players do NOT collide with each other UNLESS one of the players is holding a weapon.
    4. It must be advanced duplicated and should work right after being loaded. It will load in the same position that you saved it! The gamemode will automatically push and then remove any buttons named “OnStart”. Use this to make sure contraptions start moving on their own.
    5. To register a player as finishing the course, simply make a button with the name “Winner”. Anyone who pushes it will win the round.
    6. To create a checkpoint where a player can respawn at just use a regular prop with the hopper mine model. A player’s checkpoint lasts even if they leave the game.
    7. Someone should be able to actually finish the course. The round will automatically end after about an hour. Also do not make it too big so people join and get snapshot or buffer overflows.

• We now have an obstacle course gamemode in beta testing. The way it works is that obstacle courses are added to the map list itself and then the game will load the course on map start. In other words, we’re going to have advanced duplicated courses able to be voted for on the map list for a sort of death run server.

The difference between this and some CS:S deathrun is that first of all, the courses aren’t made in Hammer (although there’s support for that) and that there is only one team. First few people to beat the course get some amount of money and then the round ends. You can then vote for the map to change or vote to retry the course.

The courses are made by community members, not me or mappers. The gamemode isn’t done yet so for now what you can do is try and create courses. Here are the guidelines:

1. It can be done on any map you want. gm_flatgrass isn’t the only option.
    2. It uses the current version of our SandBox so make sure whatever you make is up to standards with it. This includes speed and jump height! The default speed for the SandBox is 250 and 400 sprinting. The jump height is the GMod default of 180.
    3. Players do NOT collide with each other UNLESS one of the players is holding a weapon.
    4. It must be advanced duplicated and should work right after being loaded. It will load in the same position that you saved it! The gamemode will automatically push and then remove any buttons named “OnStart”. Use this to make sure contraptions start moving on their own.
    5. To register a player as finishing the course, simply make a button with the name “Winner”. Anyone who pushes it will win the round.
    6. To create a checkpoint where a player can respawn at just use a regular prop with the hopper mine model. A player’s checkpoint lasts even if they leave the game.
    7. Someone should be able to actually finish the course. The round will automatically end after about an hour. Also do not make it too big so people join and get snapshot or buffer overflows.

• Speaking of being up to date, I can’t find anything referring to what needs to be downloaded for the Sandbox server.

• I think that the reliable snapshot overflow problem can be solved by making rooms covered in areaportals.

• Well yeah but this is flatgrass and stuff.

• that sounds quite entertaining

great idea

• @JetBoom:

Well yeah but this is flatgrass and stuff.

YOU NEVER LISTEN!!

• Bob Sapp just got a new permanent home.

• GOD DAMN IT

• I can make some perfomance-friendly props for it if you need it or whatever.

• I have an idea for an obstacle course, and it requires everyone to have gravity guns at a certain part. How exactly do we give weapons?

• This is an excellent idea.

• If only I didn’t suck at building non-terrible contraptions.

• I actually tried to do this a while ago.
    I hex edited server.dll(or something) to give myself permission to use RunConsoleCommand exec so that I could do sv_cheats 1 and spawn a bot, which allowed me to use the bot to spawn the course using advanced duplicator. I did a numpad run on the bot and then i turned sv_cheats off and removed the bot.

I took a look at the code and said “wow this is hacky and dumb”, then I gave up.

It worked thought.

I JUST DIDN’T WANT TO EDIT THE WHOLE ADVANCED DUPE LUA K? SINCE TIS DUMB.

• atomic pro haker

• Actually CapsAdmin on facepunch taught me how

• your cool

• Think of some names for this gamemode.

• -snipD:-

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.