Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

NoXious RPG

• The development log is available by clicking here.

This first post is really old and half of it is probably not accurate.

I’ve been working on and off with a complete remake of the entire noxrp gamemode and have it in a state that where I can present it. It’s not even related to the old gamemode besides the fact that it has an inventory system. This gamemode is a lot more of an RPG and FPS than it is an RP. In essence, it is Faction Wars. I probably won’t bother with the new Team Play as this gamemode is using a lot of the systems from that.

I’ll just list some key stuff here.

• The entire point of this is to try and create a persistent RPG where absolutely everything about it is fun and innovative instead of tedious.

• Wide use of modulation and streamlining. New things are very easily added.

• Items have the ability to mutate. Things like name, model, weight, etc. are all stored in an instance of the item instead of a reference to a table. In simple terms, you can have one player with a more powerful weapon of the same type that you have. There is much more that can be done besides damage bonuses and things are easily added.

• A certain fraction of the players in a server can play as monsters (NPC’s). Money is either gained or lost depending on how viscous the player is. Anti-farming is included in the form of the aggression meter. If a player is thought to be letting his friends kill him or he goes AFK, an AI will take their place.

• Enchanting high-level magical weapons and items is in itself a ‘raid’. You are transported to the item dimension and need to defeat the spirit / essence of the combined components or you fail the craft. This topic is a bit hazy right now but that’s the current idea.

• Only admins will probably have the ability to take over the strongest monsters / bosses.

• Instead of gathering fruit from a tree by waiting for it to grow and fall off (although possible), you can hit the tree with a blunt object and then you need to catch it in a bucket or something or it’ll break apart when it hits the ground.

• Instead of clicking a tree and having you chop timber with a dice roll, you need to chop in the same spot a few times with a minigame or something.

• The combat is an FPS game with RPG elements, not the other way around but there should be more than enough things to do for RPG players.

• No levels. There are a couple of skills that slightly increase damage or effectiveness, stuff like that.

• The ratio in terms of damage or between 0% skill and 100% is about 1:2.

• Max health is 100. Min is 30.

• Use of micronization is unknown. If anything it would be no smaller than 1/4.

• Chance to gain skill is based off of the difficulty of the task vs. your current skill and if you succeeded or not. It is impossible to gain skill off of something that is less difficult than your current skill level.

• Health, mana, AND stamina.

• Most spells cost reagents. Bows need arrows, etc.

• Money is a physical item and is also separate from your main account.

• Guilds and territory capturing / sieges.

• Zones system from Tribes RPG. Not sure what gameplay mechanic they’ll play.

• ‘Properties’ in their traditional noxrp sense are only available in towns.

• Karma can only be gained or lost through player deaths.

• Full loot. Only items that are blessed won’t be dropped.

• Spells are stored in spell books. Spell scrolls can be put in to spell books or casted once for no reagent cost. Spell books are blessed.

• Hot key bar. Drag spells, items, etc. on to the bar.

• A lot of physics or environmental things. Example, gibbing a person or creature creates bones and / or meat with their name in the item name. You can smash bones to make bonedust, which is a reagent for spells or you could throw the person’s skull at them after they resurrect.

• The development log is available by clicking here.

This first post is really old and half of it is probably not accurate.

I’ve been working on and off with a complete remake of the entire noxrp gamemode and have it in a state that where I can present it. It’s not even related to the old gamemode besides the fact that it has an inventory system. This gamemode is a lot more of an RPG and FPS than it is an RP. In essence, it is Faction Wars. I probably won’t bother with the new Team Play as this gamemode is using a lot of the systems from that.

I’ll just list some key stuff here.

• The entire point of this is to try and create a persistent RPG where absolutely everything about it is fun and innovative instead of tedious.

• Wide use of modulation and streamlining. New things are very easily added.

• Items have the ability to mutate. Things like name, model, weight, etc. are all stored in an instance of the item instead of a reference to a table. In simple terms, you can have one player with a more powerful weapon of the same type that you have. There is much more that can be done besides damage bonuses and things are easily added.

• A certain fraction of the players in a server can play as monsters (NPC’s). Money is either gained or lost depending on how viscous the player is. Anti-farming is included in the form of the aggression meter. If a player is thought to be letting his friends kill him or he goes AFK, an AI will take their place.

• Enchanting high-level magical weapons and items is in itself a ‘raid’. You are transported to the item dimension and need to defeat the spirit / essence of the combined components or you fail the craft. This topic is a bit hazy right now but that’s the current idea.

• Only admins will probably have the ability to take over the strongest monsters / bosses.

• Instead of gathering fruit from a tree by waiting for it to grow and fall off (although possible), you can hit the tree with a blunt object and then you need to catch it in a bucket or something or it’ll break apart when it hits the ground.

• Instead of clicking a tree and having you chop timber with a dice roll, you need to chop in the same spot a few times with a minigame or something.

• The combat is an FPS game with RPG elements, not the other way around but there should be more than enough things to do for RPG players.

• No levels. There are a couple of skills that slightly increase damage or effectiveness, stuff like that.

• The ratio in terms of damage or between 0% skill and 100% is about 1:2.

• Max health is 100. Min is 30.

• Use of micronization is unknown. If anything it would be no smaller than 1/4.

• Chance to gain skill is based off of the difficulty of the task vs. your current skill and if you succeeded or not. It is impossible to gain skill off of something that is less difficult than your current skill level.

• Health, mana, AND stamina.

• Most spells cost reagents. Bows need arrows, etc.

• Money is a physical item and is also separate from your main account.

• Guilds and territory capturing / sieges.

• Zones system from Tribes RPG. Not sure what gameplay mechanic they’ll play.

• ‘Properties’ in their traditional noxrp sense are only available in towns.

• Karma can only be gained or lost through player deaths.

• Full loot. Only items that are blessed won’t be dropped.

• Spells are stored in spell books. Spell scrolls can be put in to spell books or casted once for no reagent cost. Spell books are blessed.

• Hot key bar. Drag spells, items, etc. on to the bar.

• A lot of physics or environmental things. Example, gibbing a person or creature creates bones and / or meat with their name in the item name. You can smash bones to make bonedust, which is a reagent for spells or you could throw the person’s skull at them after they resurrect.

• With regard to the scale of such a gamemode, will there be one persistent map or will it be split up into different maps that connect you to another server with a continuing map if you reach the boundary?

• Neat, an immersible RPG with Hardcore elements.

• God no please just make it like one sort of large map like tribes multiple server-areas would be so bad

ok well this is cool so I take a bucket prop set it down somewhere under the tree and hope that a fruit falls into the bucket that actually sounds really fun sort of like gambling except you’re not losing anything

but the problem is HL2 trees aren’t dense which is sort of crappy to have things falling out of them because you can see inside of them

This sounds p great it’s like tribes + UO’s spell/item system

will there be things like i banish thee and i wish to lock this down inside your properties?

• I knew it was coming. Can’t wait.

• On a side note, the noxrp source is available at http://www.noxiousnet.com/noxrpold.zip

I wouldn’t use it for anything, it’s pretty old and messy.

• Is the test centre going to be up with NoxRPG on it? I’d really like to try it out.

• Awesome. That is all.

• How is the blessed item system gonna work? Are there just going to be certain items that are blessed or are you going to be able to craft blessed items?

• Perhaps a ‘use silver to bless an item’ kind of deal?

edit?:
    Give an option to toggle whether you can hurt certain people or not, so you can shoot near your teammates without worry. Make it so you send a NFF (No friendly fire) invite, and if they accept it, you cannot hurt them/their property, and vice versa

• Admins will probably have the ability to take over the strongest monsters / item bosses.

I’m the frotchet spirit.

• What about building bases?

• @Blue.Frog:

I’m the frotchet spirit.

As in a floating frozen shard of rape?

• find a way to make building fun and time consuming, like being able to build an entire citadel, prop by prop.

• I was planning on (and it currently is) so items don’t have descriptions or tooltips displaying all of their properties to you. Instead of having it say “Health Potion” and then “Recovers 10 Health.” under it, it’ll just say “a red potion”. Right now you can only see the item’s name and the amount in the stack. In the case of weapons it’ll say for example, “a tribal staff”. Because items are able to be mutated, that particular staff can have a name like “a heavy tribal staff of fire”. You wouldn’t know exactly what that means because there would be no item description or tooltip but after a while I think people will just pass the knowledge around. I want to have RPG elements like that.

Bringing up the mutating items idea again and to give you an idea of how it works, let’s say that I release an update that increases the weight and damage of all swords. Only newly created swords would be under that effect, anything pre-patch will remain as it was unless I manually go in and change those instances.

Right now the inventory is using a simple ‘put everything in a list’ system. I plan on moving that to a traditional bag system where items can be freely moved within the container.

Items and such can be currently interacted with in the world by activating mouse mode (holding down the context menu button) and then right clicking on it. From there it’s up to that particular entity to decide what to let you do with it. The default action is to try to pick the item up and put it in your inventory. What I hope to do is to allow people to literally pickup objects and move them around with their mouse. Kind of like ZS but better.

• I always loved these, specifically “of the Owl” and such: WoW Item Suffixes.

• :king:

• Staff of the Faggot

:link:

• You could have a sort-of Oblivion style alchemy, but instead of knowing what you get you just mix herbs and get a potion that you have no idea what it does and the only way to find out is to drink it.
    Also, with the hat maker, there could be armor. It would have to impair movement, ranged weapons and spellcasting a bit to balance the protection.
    You probably already thought of this, but trade skills. By building structures such as a forge, you can use your trade skill in a skill-based minigame to make finished goods, such as taking iron you mined and forging it into a helmet, or wood you cut and making bows.
    I’d really like this if there were a good deal of RTS-ish elements without ever playing an RTS. Like with the structure and base building, hoarding resources, territorial control, and maybe even rolling out AI soldiers for your faction, like archers to defend your base.

I’m sick of typing for now.

Users

Topics