Some Zombie Survival changes

• I thought I’d make a thread for these because they’re pretty big.

Weapon selection (Published)

Humans can select their starting loadout when they join. One primary and one secondary weapon. Primary weapons are pistols, secondary weapons are melee and utility. Each item has a ‘weight’ to it. You can’t get more than a certain amount of weight so if you pick a sledge hammer, you won’t be able to get anything else. Picking a shovel might only limit you to the peashooter.

Hammer + nails
    Nails will be physical. Right click with the hammer places a nail and you use left click to hammer it in. The prop becomes unmovable when the nail hits something. The nail can’t be hammered in anymore if it would make it unable to be hit with the hammer. A nail’s “health” is reduced by how many times it has been successfully hit in. When the prop that is nailed is damaged, the nail gets hit out a bit. The prop becomes unnailed if the nail doesn’t touch the surface of whatever it is nailed in to anymore. The nail is destroyed (use an effect to simulate it being hit out) if it is fully hit out. The nail can’t be hit in anymore if it has 1 health. The nail doesn’t get hit out and doesn’t receive damage if it is not locking a prop in place.

Post processing

Remove the red pain flash and replace it with claw marks or blood marks. Replace the HL2 red-screen on death with a FADE to black-and-white, progressively greater gaussian blur, then fade to totally black. Use a DSP to progressively muffle all sounds. Remove DSP on spawn.

Make it so the default post process for zombies only multiplies red (so blood looks more vivid to them). Make it so crows have the default zombie post process instead of the being dead one.

(Published)
    Replace Dark to Light vision. Make it so it creates a dynamic light (only you can see) right on top of you. Increase contrast and decrease brightness. This allows zombies to easily see anything in the area around them but harder to see anything far away.

(Published)
    Remove current color mod for humans. Make it so low health multiplies red by 1.75 and everything else by 0.5. Instead of using anything lower than 30, make it so it STARTS at 50 and gets progressively worse.

Flashlight

Flashlights start with about 2 minutes worth of power. Having it on drains power. Possibly use a DynamicLight(owner:EntIndex()) (replication with status_flashlight) that dims down when running out of batteries. If that idea isn’t used, simply turn it off when you’re out. Humans drop batteries when they die (custom entity, use the car battery model drawn at half scale). Picking up the battery fills your battery bar by the amount that was left when that person died (don’t drop on 0 power). Power bar should be predicted, use the subsystem that Mana prediction uses.

Weapons and ammo

Weapons should be custom entities so that they can have a custom draw function (like the battery). Make it so they ignore shadows and flash green or something. Press USE on one to pick it up. If you already have the weapon, you can carry it. Humans should drop every weapon they have on death. Don’t collide with players or physics props. Spare ammo should also drop but in the form of one singular ammo box in order to save space.

• I thought I’d make a thread for these because they’re pretty big.

Weapon selection (Published)

Humans can select their starting loadout when they join. One primary and one secondary weapon. Primary weapons are pistols, secondary weapons are melee and utility. Each item has a ‘weight’ to it. You can’t get more than a certain amount of weight so if you pick a sledge hammer, you won’t be able to get anything else. Picking a shovel might only limit you to the peashooter.

Hammer + nails
    Nails will be physical. Right click with the hammer places a nail and you use left click to hammer it in. The prop becomes unmovable when the nail hits something. The nail can’t be hammered in anymore if it would make it unable to be hit with the hammer. A nail’s “health” is reduced by how many times it has been successfully hit in. When the prop that is nailed is damaged, the nail gets hit out a bit. The prop becomes unnailed if the nail doesn’t touch the surface of whatever it is nailed in to anymore. The nail is destroyed (use an effect to simulate it being hit out) if it is fully hit out. The nail can’t be hit in anymore if it has 1 health. The nail doesn’t get hit out and doesn’t receive damage if it is not locking a prop in place.

Post processing

Remove the red pain flash and replace it with claw marks or blood marks. Replace the HL2 red-screen on death with a FADE to black-and-white, progressively greater gaussian blur, then fade to totally black. Use a DSP to progressively muffle all sounds. Remove DSP on spawn.

Make it so the default post process for zombies only multiplies red (so blood looks more vivid to them). Make it so crows have the default zombie post process instead of the being dead one.

(Published)
    Replace Dark to Light vision. Make it so it creates a dynamic light (only you can see) right on top of you. Increase contrast and decrease brightness. This allows zombies to easily see anything in the area around them but harder to see anything far away.

(Published)
    Remove current color mod for humans. Make it so low health multiplies red by 1.75 and everything else by 0.5. Instead of using anything lower than 30, make it so it STARTS at 50 and gets progressively worse.

Flashlight

Flashlights start with about 2 minutes worth of power. Having it on drains power. Possibly use a DynamicLight(owner:EntIndex()) (replication with status_flashlight) that dims down when running out of batteries. If that idea isn’t used, simply turn it off when you’re out. Humans drop batteries when they die (custom entity, use the car battery model drawn at half scale). Picking up the battery fills your battery bar by the amount that was left when that person died (don’t drop on 0 power). Power bar should be predicted, use the subsystem that Mana prediction uses.

Weapons and ammo

Weapons should be custom entities so that they can have a custom draw function (like the battery). Make it so they ignore shadows and flash green or something. Press USE on one to pick it up. If you already have the weapon, you can carry it. Humans should drop every weapon they have on death. Don’t collide with players or physics props. Spare ammo should also drop but in the form of one singular ammo box in order to save space.

• Hammer + nails:
    Sounds like a good idea. The problem is just when you placed the nail in the prop, but a mingebag moves it then, it may be failcaded quickly.
    Can the nail be hit back, when it was hit out a bit? How big is the area around the nail where we have to aim to hit the nail? The nails should glow green when the player is aiming in that area. Like as an aiming help, because the melees don’t have crosshairs. Are other melees allowed to hit the nails too?

Post processing:
    Great idea. I’m for it.

Flashlight:

Flashlights start with about 2 minutes worth of power.

Then make Wraiths invisibility to alpha 5 or higher instead of 0 and remove the shadow. They also should do less damage. And avoid maps which have complete dark rooms. I tend to be against this change.

Weapons and ammo:
    The part with the droppable ammo by death will be the greatest change in this great change part.

Health:
    Better make it so, that the humans gain 2 health each half minute. Don’t replace the health chargers with med-kits, just give the health charger less health until they runs out. So like 10 or 20 health instead of the default 50.

• when is this going to be put into the gamemode, it looks like a great update.

• @O_o:

Flashlight:Then make Wraiths invisibility to alpha 5 or higher instead of 0 and remove the shadow. They also should do less damage. And avoid maps which have complete dark rooms. I tend to be against this change

The point of the wraith is to be invisible while it’s still. The shadow from the flashlight is just a cheap tactic to see them.

• @JetBoom:

Post processing
    Weapons and ammo

Awesome!

hammer and nails

This would require the nailer to constantly sit by the cade and hammer. It would also discourage barricading since you’ll be extremely vulnerable while constantly nailing the nails back in. Bad idea. Instead, keep the current system and allow people to voteremove nails with the reload key in the same way that you can voteremove props in TP. If you think about It would be just like people in a zombie movie struggling to remove something that is blocking their way.

@JetBoom:

Health

This would break all the maps that were designed to work with health chargers, such as reactor, shithole, asylum, etc. If the mapper didn’t feel that they should have been put, he wouldn’t have put them in the map to begin with. If you feel a certain map is imbalanced because of chargers then just use lua to remove them on said map, don’t ruin the other balanced maps and for gods sake don’t do this because of zs_town, its a shitty GU map for crying out loud. Also 8 health per wave is too little, make it 1 health per 20 seconds instead of 30 and all will be well.
    Edit:
    @JetBoom:

Flashlight

O_o has a point, the wraith speed will have to be fixed. they can move faster as humans moving forward with starting weapons (in other words, maximum possible speed). That combined with bunny hopping and a quick attack that deals 45hp damage means that the flashlight is the only thing stopping them from being vastly overpowered. flashlights on wraiths may be a glitch, but it balances the wraith. If you nerf the flashlight, please do nerf the wraiths moving speed as well. Also 2 minutes is way too little, it will make most dark maps unplayable.

• here’s a tip CS, curtains.

• I approve of this message.

• @Gir:

here’s a tip CS, curtains.

I already have? whatever, I edited out the lighting remark. Still, I don’t think people are going to be too happy about this.

• Well now there will be no health left after wave 1 but on the plus side no one will back up to the health charger rooms and camp it for the whole game.

• I can only think of four maps with health chargers that exist in camp rooms and none of them have any balance issues.

• Asss-ylum.

• I thought that one was broken, hence the sparks. Well then use lua to get rid of that specific one if it is such a bother.

• 4  minutes of battery

• @JetBoom:

Flashlight

This idea could be dumb, but make it so you spawn with 60 hl2 suit armor. The flashlight uses 1 armor every 2-4 seconds. You would have to choose between seeing wraiths or being protected.

• I always felt that the lag that flashlights produce was more than enough of a reason not to use it constantly, it halves your FPS.

• I think idea of nerfing flashlights is great but there might be differant ways of handling it. I think everyone having a flashlight is pretty stupid. Maybe make the flashlight a swep (doom 3) that only certain people get. Or maybe make a flare swep that humans can use after their batteries run out. Is it possible to use the flares from ep 2 in gmod?

• Just don’t change the flashlight or use the hl2 flashlight battery system with a double quicker recharging.

• The idea of the flashlight change is that you use it when needed and humans become afraid of dark areas because it gives zombies a great advantage in the dark.

Lag from flashlights is because you have shadow quality on high. Just set it to medium and it doesn’t lag at all. There’s also a concommand along the lines of r_flashlight_old that uses the sprite-based EP1 flashlight.

• The idea of the flashlight change is that you use it when needed and humans become afraid of dark areas because it gives zombies a great advantage in the dark.

Then please balance for god’s sake the wraiths then. Im only against it, because there could be completly dark rooms where neither the zombies can see and the Wraiths are already powerful enough.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.