Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Gamemode Merge: TeamPlay + Awesome Strike

• I’ve made some quick videos of typical fights in the merger, using starting weapons. Yeah the quality is like 300x200 so shutup.

1/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyskCOZSw7I
    2/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5McEym-75o
    3/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8UQQRJ69A
    4/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1gc6JlUjnE

Below is probably outdated, go to the later pages.

Basically I want to merge the two in to one gamemode. I don’t want to develop two gamemodes. Awesome Strike was developed too late and needs more work before it becomes a ‘main-stream’ gamemode. TeamPlay is a bit slow and often unfair. Plus, who honestly works as a team?

1. It will be a bit faster paced. In order to do this I will split it in to two servers until multi-core support is added, this way lag doesn’t come in to the picture. Faster walking, sprint and dodge system, etc. Although unlike Awesome Strike, you can’t sprint or dodge forever, you get regenerating stamina / energy. Kind of like the olllldd TeamPlay.

2. The maximum height of the learning curve is higher. In other words what you’re capable of doesn’t bottleneck at your class or something. It’s more skill-based.

3. I want to throw out the class system for a system where you make your own ‘class’ out of four different aspects. You choose it when you join the game and can change it every spawn. The aspects are: Might, Speed, Magic, and Tech. Names pending. The thing is though, it’s in a diamond-shape when you choose it. This means when you pull on the Might point, the aspect opposite it will go down. Might increases your maximum health, what weapons you can carry, maximum stamina, and how much damage melee does. Speed increases your running speed, what special moves you can do (dodge, walljump, etc.), and stuff like that. Magic determines what spells you can cast, maximum mana, etc. Tech determines other stuff I’m not sure about. Probably gun usage, crafting speed (or if you can at all), and stuff like that. I think what I’ll do to make it so people can’t cast every single skill in the game is have it so each point on the diamond has it’s own diamond. Meaning Magic would be split in to Destruction, Healing, etc. Then Speed would be split in to stuff. Just like the main diamond, pulling on one side decreases the size of the opposite side. The thing is, the maximum size of any points on the Magic diamond (like Healing) would be limited on how much you pulled the Magic side of the main diamond. I don’t know if this is confusing anyone but someone can just make an mspaint of it.

4. Abilities are stamina based instead of cooldown based. Their cooldowns end whenever the ability ends. Things like Eye of the Wolf will be activate / deactivate instead of “do it for 10 seconds and then you can do it again in 5”.

5. Weapons will no longer be ‘picked-up’. Instead, you can carry three weapons and you purchase them like in the class menu. Unlike Awesome Strike though, you keep the weapons and they’ll be put in an inventory of sorts. In order to make a money sink, I think I will allow weapon upgrading and will make them have to be repaired. Only weapons you use will need to be repaired. To put a damper on Diamond gimps, higher stuff will not just require Silver.

6. Moving from “rock-scissors-paper” combat to skill. MDB Towers will be made in to barrels for Mountable Turrets, the usage of Mana from powered deployables will be higher so that you need to power larger bases with more Mana intake. Also, there will be no “laser-like” weapons, abilities, or spells. Guns will shoot physical bullets, death ray will be replaced, etc. Any kind of homing projectiles will either not home in, will home in less, or have some kind of down-side. AP Towers will be replaced with a Mountable Turret barrel where you manually aim the shots.

7. Higher death penalty. When you die, you wait 7-10 seconds instead of 2.

8. Spawn protection up to 5 seconds. As soon as you move or shoot it gets removed.

Current aspect plans

[Magic]

• Increasing it will let you use higher level spells and it increases the ends of your regeneration / capacity balance. It will directly decrease your Might aspect.
      [Destruction sub-aspect]
    • Increasing it will allow you to cast higher level attack spells but will lower your ability to cast healing spells. Remember, you need a lot of mana to cast those higher level spells so you’ll usually need a bigger capacity, which means slower regeneration.
      [Healing sub-aspect, opposite Destruction]
    • Increasing it will allow you to cast higher level healing spells but lowers your capacity to cast direct attack spells
      [Cursing sub-aspect]
    • Increases your capacity to cast spells like Slow, Hex, etc.
      [Defensive sub-aspect, opposite Cursing]
    • Increases your capacity to cast spells like Protection from *, Force Field, etc.

[Might]

• Increasing it directly increases melee damage.
      [Strength sub-aspect]
    • Determines what weapons can be held depending on their weight. A magic staff requires maybe 15%, a bazooka needs 75%, a giant hammer needs 95%.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Strength]
    • Unknown right now.
      [Endurance sub-aspect]
    • Determines maximum health. Probably won’t be lower than 50 and not higher than 200.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Endurance]
    • Unknown right now.

[Agility]

• Unknown direct effect.
      [Speed sub-aspect]
    • Increases running / sprint speed.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Speed]
    • Unknown right now.
      [Dexterity sub-aspect]
    • Determines what special moves can be used.
      [Will sub-aspect, opposite dexterity]
    • Determines maximum stamina.

[Tech]

• Unknown direct effect.
      [Gunmastery sub-aspect]
    • Determines what guns can be handled.
      [Craftsmanship sub-aspect, opposite Gunslinging]
    • Determines what buildings can be made, if any.
      [Accuracy sub-aspect]
    • Determines gun accuracy on a scale of 50% - 125% of the gun’s original accuracy.
      [Instinct sub-aspect, opposite Accuracy]
    • Determines the speed at which you build and repair.

• I’ve made some quick videos of typical fights in the merger, using starting weapons. Yeah the quality is like 300x200 so shutup.

1/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyskCOZSw7I
    2/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5McEym-75o
    3/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf8UQQRJ69A
    4/4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1gc6JlUjnE

Below is probably outdated, go to the later pages.

Basically I want to merge the two in to one gamemode. I don’t want to develop two gamemodes. Awesome Strike was developed too late and needs more work before it becomes a ‘main-stream’ gamemode. TeamPlay is a bit slow and often unfair. Plus, who honestly works as a team?

1. It will be a bit faster paced. In order to do this I will split it in to two servers until multi-core support is added, this way lag doesn’t come in to the picture. Faster walking, sprint and dodge system, etc. Although unlike Awesome Strike, you can’t sprint or dodge forever, you get regenerating stamina / energy. Kind of like the olllldd TeamPlay.

2. The maximum height of the learning curve is higher. In other words what you’re capable of doesn’t bottleneck at your class or something. It’s more skill-based.

3. I want to throw out the class system for a system where you make your own ‘class’ out of four different aspects. You choose it when you join the game and can change it every spawn. The aspects are: Might, Speed, Magic, and Tech. Names pending. The thing is though, it’s in a diamond-shape when you choose it. This means when you pull on the Might point, the aspect opposite it will go down. Might increases your maximum health, what weapons you can carry, maximum stamina, and how much damage melee does. Speed increases your running speed, what special moves you can do (dodge, walljump, etc.), and stuff like that. Magic determines what spells you can cast, maximum mana, etc. Tech determines other stuff I’m not sure about. Probably gun usage, crafting speed (or if you can at all), and stuff like that. I think what I’ll do to make it so people can’t cast every single skill in the game is have it so each point on the diamond has it’s own diamond. Meaning Magic would be split in to Destruction, Healing, etc. Then Speed would be split in to stuff. Just like the main diamond, pulling on one side decreases the size of the opposite side. The thing is, the maximum size of any points on the Magic diamond (like Healing) would be limited on how much you pulled the Magic side of the main diamond. I don’t know if this is confusing anyone but someone can just make an mspaint of it.

4. Abilities are stamina based instead of cooldown based. Their cooldowns end whenever the ability ends. Things like Eye of the Wolf will be activate / deactivate instead of “do it for 10 seconds and then you can do it again in 5”.

5. Weapons will no longer be ‘picked-up’. Instead, you can carry three weapons and you purchase them like in the class menu. Unlike Awesome Strike though, you keep the weapons and they’ll be put in an inventory of sorts. In order to make a money sink, I think I will allow weapon upgrading and will make them have to be repaired. Only weapons you use will need to be repaired. To put a damper on Diamond gimps, higher stuff will not just require Silver.

6. Moving from “rock-scissors-paper” combat to skill. MDB Towers will be made in to barrels for Mountable Turrets, the usage of Mana from powered deployables will be higher so that you need to power larger bases with more Mana intake. Also, there will be no “laser-like” weapons, abilities, or spells. Guns will shoot physical bullets, death ray will be replaced, etc. Any kind of homing projectiles will either not home in, will home in less, or have some kind of down-side. AP Towers will be replaced with a Mountable Turret barrel where you manually aim the shots.

7. Higher death penalty. When you die, you wait 7-10 seconds instead of 2.

8. Spawn protection up to 5 seconds. As soon as you move or shoot it gets removed.

Current aspect plans

[Magic]

• Increasing it will let you use higher level spells and it increases the ends of your regeneration / capacity balance. It will directly decrease your Might aspect.
      [Destruction sub-aspect]
    • Increasing it will allow you to cast higher level attack spells but will lower your ability to cast healing spells. Remember, you need a lot of mana to cast those higher level spells so you’ll usually need a bigger capacity, which means slower regeneration.
      [Healing sub-aspect, opposite Destruction]
    • Increasing it will allow you to cast higher level healing spells but lowers your capacity to cast direct attack spells
      [Cursing sub-aspect]
    • Increases your capacity to cast spells like Slow, Hex, etc.
      [Defensive sub-aspect, opposite Cursing]
    • Increases your capacity to cast spells like Protection from *, Force Field, etc.

[Might]

• Increasing it directly increases melee damage.
      [Strength sub-aspect]
    • Determines what weapons can be held depending on their weight. A magic staff requires maybe 15%, a bazooka needs 75%, a giant hammer needs 95%.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Strength]
    • Unknown right now.
      [Endurance sub-aspect]
    • Determines maximum health. Probably won’t be lower than 50 and not higher than 200.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Endurance]
    • Unknown right now.

[Agility]

• Unknown direct effect.
      [Speed sub-aspect]
    • Increases running / sprint speed.
      [Unknown sub-aspect, opposite Speed]
    • Unknown right now.
      [Dexterity sub-aspect]
    • Determines what special moves can be used.
      [Will sub-aspect, opposite dexterity]
    • Determines maximum stamina.

[Tech]

• Unknown direct effect.
      [Gunmastery sub-aspect]
    • Determines what guns can be handled.
      [Craftsmanship sub-aspect, opposite Gunslinging]
    • Determines what buildings can be made, if any.
      [Accuracy sub-aspect]
    • Determines gun accuracy on a scale of 50% - 125% of the gun’s original accuracy.
      [Instinct sub-aspect, opposite Accuracy]
    • Determines the speed at which you build and repair.

• This just might be crazy enough to work.

• Sound awesome. Pity Awesome Strike has to go but this still sounds promising.

• I love this idea.

• Fucking yes.

• I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who noticed the slowless of TP

1. Interesting, I was considering suggesting something like this.

2. cool.

3. So basically, you are going to shatter the classes into bits and allow players to choose, which bits they want. What worries me is that doing so will take too much time and all people may want to do is start playing as soon as possible. Well I think thats ok

4. How does the stamina recharge?

5. Cool.

6. Eh, I don’t like this too much….

7. cool.

• Such a radical change of teamplay would require at least a test before it’s applied permanently.
    Make it so that at the end of the round, after voting the gamemode and map, you can choose if to apply these new rules or the normal ones. Then log the votes.
    If the new rules are preferred to the normal ones, then change.

• Too bad I don’t care what anyone thinks.

• Will you be making class presets so new people can jump into the game quicker?

• The thing I’m worried about with this is that people will find the “perfect” balance of different stats and then have a setup that’s unbalanced against everyone else. Another thing is that noxious has always been a high-action game and people might not want to stats-juggle. What if there were different pre-made setups that people could either just use, or modify the stats of. So for example the builder setup would have high tech skill to start with so people could quickly switch to it when they need to build something, but then if they’re planning on using it long-term they could tweak the stats a bit to make it more of a fighter.

• 5. In order to make a money sink, I think I will allow weapon upgrading and will make them have to be repaired. Only weapons you use will need to be repaired. To put a damper on Diamond gimps, higher stuff will not just require Silver.

like scopes? Damage upgrades?

and will they have counterbalances? (like loss of accuracy or fire rate)

• This might get overcomplicated.

• Plus just like with the assault update, the entire game will pretty much have to be rebalanced to work with the new style of play.

• @Skiazo:

This might get overcomplicated.

It already is.

• Some ideas

The “L’s” are the levels, the amount of points you put into the category.

Combat: Can pick up any melee weapon, the more Combat strength you have, the slower you walk. For every point of Combat you have, you do 2 more points of damage with melee weapons. This increases your maximum health. Max health is 175.
    L1 - Allows you to pick up any melee weapon.
    L2 - Gives you a melee power boost, an extra 5 damage with every melee weapon.
    L3 - Regeneration

Magic: Allows you to heal, teleport, and shield fellow teammates. You can also load out with offensive spells. Max amount of mana is 150. The more points you put into this, the less amount of health you have.
    L1 - Mana regeneration
    L2 - All healing spells
    L3 - Faster mana regeneration

Agility:You can move faster, but you have less health. For every point put into Agility, you can run faster, and jump a little higher. Increases your max stamina. Max stamina is 150.
    L1 - Double jumping.
    L2 - Walljumping
    L3 - A 10% chance to save yourself from death hits, reducing you to 1hp instead of killing you.

Tech: No ideas, but I have some “Tech” powers, the “levels” is how much points you put into Tech. The more points you put into Tech, the slower you are, and the less magic points you have.
    L1 - You can repair any props by holding E near them.
    L2 - Allows your Raven missles to track ground enemies as well as enemy vehicles.
    L3 - A.T.S: Auto Targeting System. Slightly tugs your aim to any people near your crosshair.

• All of that is stupid.

There will be favorites you can save and load. Unlimited amount and there will be some preset ones.

• They’re ideas, I’m sorry that they’re not perfect.

• They’re all unbalanced. Auto-targeting? Sounds more like a hindrance considering there’s no laser-like things. There are no ‘chances’ to have anything happen. Everything is dependent upon the player’s ability to utilize the aspects they have chosen. There are no certain levels that increase your regeneration or maximum amount of something, it is all done with math.

• I don’t mean for any of it to be implemented, I just throw out ideas so you can work on them/develop your own ideas.

Users

Topics