Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Reason why not to "hide" core shield generators.

• This is almost exactly what happens if I’m a pilot for any length of time on that map. Unless a raven suicide bombs me or something.

• ah, the good old “Place the gens as long from our base as possibly soo we dont have a chance to defend or repair it while the enemy hit the shit outta it”.

• how come your video recording quality is so good testament?

• Try to change the youtube video quality to “standard” and you’ll see.

It’s a setting.

• Thanks.

• Plus I know how to encode videos to look good :uglylaugh:

• how?
    which container?
    avi, mpg, mov ?

which format?
    H.264? Xvid? DivX?

• I use fraps to record an avi file, then convert into a 700kbs wmv file using blaze media pro so I can upload it quicker. Works a treat.

• Well, with source videos recorded from a dem file, I use source recorder to convert from dem files to compressed avi files using “sv_cheats 1”, “host_framerate 30” and “startmovie (filename) avi”. As for the codec, I’m for Xvid. Typically I make videos for youtube, so aiming for the highest quality video but not to big means I’ll force myself to aim for the 90-95MB range. I do that conversion in VirtualDub after I get the higher quality version directly from the source recorder. As for the settings on the direct source recorder to avi file, I just stick to some high single pass bitrate of about 3000-4000, because what I’m extracting is the video I want to edit, resize to 640x480, and compress to an avi between 90-95MB to upload onto youtube so I can delete it when I know my job is done, not having to worry about the space. That bitrate really could be anything for the avi you’re going to edit later on, the only factor is the space you can hold. I pretty much filled up my 280GB hard drive, only have about 10GB left, so space is limited for me. Hell I might just even say go for 6000+ if you want.

Ok, maybe step by step instructions are better. Here they are:
    For source games, extracting a raw avi of your demo for editing later on in Virtualdub:**

• Record a demo.

• Finish recording a demo.

• When you’re ready to extract from source recorder to avi, on the main menu when you start up any source game, type “sv_cheats 1” and “host_framerate 30”.

• You can set your graphics to be as high as you want. Rendering time may probably take a little bit longer, but heck it takes a bit just as is, doesn’t hurt to increase the detail, anti-alias, all that.

• Set your resolution on the low end. It depends on where you want your video to be displayed, what resolution fits best. For me, my preference is to record at 800x600 and then resize to 640x480 for youtube videos (what I do with my audiosurf videos). For source recording, it’s going to be a bit of trouble, because depending on what codec you use (I use Xvid), combining certain resolutions with certain codecs when you directly output to avi will crash steam once encoding starts (like how I tried recording on 640x480 resolution with an Xvid codec and it crashed all the time while I changed the resolutuion to a higher one and it worked). Stick to 4x3 resolution (720x576 is NOT 4 by 3) so when you resize in Virtualdub, you don’t get anything skewed or distorted. If you’re fine making 1024x768 videos to display on that size or something, hey, whatever floats your boat.

• If you want to start right from the beginning of a demo file, do “startmovie (filename) avi” BEFORE opening your demo. If you want to start at a point, open your demo file, get to the point where you want to start, pause using the demo playback window (demoui in console), open the console, type in “startmovie (filename) avi”, after you get everything configured, resume the demo (you’ll lose a tad bit more of recording), close the demoui window while the console is still up, then close the console to start recording. (NOTE: Playback will be very slow and sluggish, and either there will be constant repeating of a segment of sound or nothing at all. This is normal. All of your video and sound is being encoded properly, no harm done. Also expect to wait QUITE SOME TIME, depending on the length of your video (I had to wait about 30-40 or so minutes to actually get all of the dropship action encoded D:)).

• After you type “startmovie (filename) avi”, a window opens, allowing you to choose your compression settings. For me, I would use Xvid, single bitrare of 3000+ to maintain a HQ version of the raw avi to edit later on in Virtualdub.

• Once you are done at a point in time for the raw, open the console and just type “endmovie”. You’re done recording now.

For recording a raw avi using Fraps:

• Make sure you have quite some space left in your harddrive before attempting to record anything (6-8GB or higher is the safe zone IMO).

• Set your settings the way you see fit in Fraps. Make SURE you record at full resolution. Half-sizing is bad! It doesn’t resize well, because it’s doing it in real time, whereas you have Virtualdub, to encode better quality resizing using the resize filter to achieve a better video overall.

• When you start recording by pressing F9 or some other hotkey, it’s VERY important that when you see the fps decrease, after turning red, that it rests at the framerate you specified. If it’s much lower, have fun with a laggy looking video that’s not at all pleasing to view. If it is significantly lower, just lower the settings for the application you’re running, or resolution. Sometimes you might even have to change some of your video card settings to get your fps up to the value you’re recording at when resting. It’s normal for it to go down when there’s a lot of action, that’s ok. As long as it can hit the target record fps or very close to that a lot, you’re good.

• When you’re done, press F9 or some other hotkey you assigned to fraps record to stop (Did I even need to add this step?).

For editing and finalizing in Virtualdub (encoding it, both video and audio wise):

• Open your video file that you’ve recorded (duh).

• Edit it to your liking.

• Once you’re ready to release it, first go into your audio menu and change it to “Full recompress”, signaling that we want to change the audio file instead of keeping the one we have in our avi file already.

• Click on “compression” under the audio menu.

• For the compression type, I suggest the Lame MP3 codec. Google it if you don’t have it. It’s free. After you get it, use one of the 44100Hz compression types. They differ by the bitrate they use. Higher bitrates mean better quality sound, but at the cost of bigger size, and if we’re aiming for a target size, the more bitrate we use on the audio, the less we’ll have for the video (not by much though, but more video bitrate means a higher quality video, which we are aiming for). I tend to stick with 128kbps 44100Hz stereo.

• Now we did the audio. On the video menu, make sure “Full recompress” is selected.

• If you wish to resize your video (I perfer to resize all my videos for youtube to 640x480), select “Filters” from the video menu, and on the list, choose resize. Click ok, and a menu should pop up. I don’t have to guide you on this menu, I’m sure you know what to do to resize your video.

• Select “compression” from the video menu. For me, I use the Xvid codec (like you haven’t figured that out already). You can either use a single-pass method or the twopass method. There really isn’t MUCH difference in video quality, but twopass has a better quality than the single pass.

• Find out how long your final avi is. Then for the single pass method, first, select “single pass” from the encoding menu, then make sure you’re in the target bitrate (kbps) mode (click on target quantitizer if you aren’t). Open up the bitrate calculator, enter in the length of your avi file, enter the size that you want (for me, uploading it to youtube, I tend to stick between 90-95MB (92160-97280kB for the target size box)), make sure at the bottom that the audio format is MP3-CBR and that you have the same kbps selected that you selected for your audio, choosing your compression type (like how I selected my audio to be compressed using the Lame MP3 codec, 128kbps 44100Hz stereo, I would select 128kbps here), then the calculator will automatically calculate the bitrate for you. Click ok, then ok again.

• If you want to render the video twice for the twopass method, first select “twopass - first pass” from the encoding menu, click ok, then save the AVI for the first pass. It will create a video.pass file in your root directory I believe. Once you’re done encoding, go back to the compression menu under the video menu, then in your Xvid window, choose “twopass - second pass” from the encode menu. Now make sure you’re on the target size mode (or target bitrate, though I’m sure the target size will vary the bitrate at places, for a chance to have a higher quality video), go to the bitrate calculator, follow the same steps as if you were doing the calculator for the single pass mode, then when you are done, click ok and then ok again.

• Now you’re ready to save the video. Just save the avi and the encoding will start. If you are doing the twopass method, your actual final size will be slightly different from the target size, either by a little bit or by 10MB or so, depends. If that’s the case, just lower your target size and encode again on the second step. You won’t need to encode the first step again.

That’s pretty much how I go through my videos. Hope this helps. In the end, you should have the highest quality video possible for youtube using regular means (if you have like a regular account or something, I’m thinking developers can upload bigger and longer files. If that’s the case, just increase your target size close to that max).

Oh, and if you have audio and video desynching issues, you can just as easily go into the frame rate option in the video menu in Virtualdub and make both the audio and video match together. It works.

• Big wall of text.

• Ah, its my computer thats the problem here then.
    I’ll try your stuff once I get my new computer.
    It doesn’t matter whether I put my settings on max or on minimum on GMOD, my framerate is and always will be 10fps on average until I get a new computer.

That reminds me… I found 2 computers that cost the same (9000Kr). The only difference between them is that one has a 65nm 2.4 GHz intel quadcore CPU and the other has a 45nm 3.0GHz intel Dualcore CPU. So… which should I choose?

• IMO, the quad core. 4 simultanious cores is better than 2.

Users

Topics