Forums are in read-only mode. Data has been backed up but be sure to save anything you want.

Punkbuster.

• PunkBuster is a computer program published by Even Balance, Inc.
    Its purpose is to prevent cheating in online games by banning players.

This happens with:

-Call Of Duty 4

For some reason my Norman Antivirus says that PnkBstrA.sys is a Trojan horse and removes it instantly. (But it isn’t a virus)
    However to play on server which have Punkbuster enabled (4/5) I need that file to play on those servers.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening ?

Note: This isn’t some free antivirus/firewall crap.

• PunkBuster is a computer program published by Even Balance, Inc.
    Its purpose is to prevent cheating in online games by banning players.

This happens with:

-Call Of Duty 4

For some reason my Norman Antivirus says that PnkBstrA.sys is a Trojan horse and removes it instantly. (But it isn’t a virus)
    However to play on server which have Punkbuster enabled (4/5) I need that file to play on those servers.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening ?

Note: This isn’t some free antivirus/firewall crap.

• Oh god I want to puch you to tell you how much norman sucks.

Get Avast.  Or AVG if you want popup windows.

• I’ve been using Norman for 3 years now and I never had ANY problems at all.

• k

• Sounds like you need to switch your AV if it won’t even let you ignore specific processes or files.

Punkbuster was cool enough to install a useless service that doesn’t do anything but eat resources even when it’s not in use. It’s not an auto-updater or anything, it just sat there.

I had to get off of avast! because ashserv.exe (the scanner) was eating half of my CPU for 10 minutes after startup. I moved to Kaspersky which has an unbelievable amount of options and customization.

• It’s fixed now, I found the “ignore files/paths” function.

• Use Kaspersky. It is the best AV you can get.

• at least noone suggested the panda antivirus one i had. Its icon was a panda. It sucked horribly and thought ms word was a virus and trying to access the internet sometimes. Ussually thought it was just a virus and did that to steam, and any other obvious non virus infected program.

• Nod32 is another good choice, hasn’t given me any problems.

• I’m globally hardware banned on Punkbuster for hacking my ass off at America’s Army.

Or maybe not… I don’t remember if I got my current computer before or after the ban. I don’t really care though, all the games that Punkbuster is on suck, with few exceptions.

• @Lobe:

Use Kaspersky. It is the best AV you can get.

Yeah, I’m not willing to pay 40 dollars for an antivirus. The only thing that can possibly stop me from using avast is if I find out that turning it off increases my framerate in ZS.

• Its called a free trial.

• which expires after 30 days.

• Which you don’t stop renewing

• AVG FTW!

But seriously I have used AVG for 5 years and I have only had 1 problem and that was when I stopped updating it (plus it’s free).

• @W4FFLE:

AVG FTW!

But seriously I have used AVG for 5 years and I have only had 1 problem and that was when I stopped updating it (plus it’s free).

Good job.

• AVG fails HARD. Simple as that. You don’t have any problems because it does not pick any up!

• I use these 2 things

Avast Anti Virus
    http://www.avast.com/

Comodo Personal Firewall (V2.4 is better IMO than V3 because V3 has warnings about everything)
    http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html

• @Lobe:

AVG fails HARD. Simple as that. You don’t have any problems because it does not pick any up!

Not true. It’s picked a few up that could potentially have screwed my computer to shit. It found them for me, alerted me, and I took care of them. I haven’t had ONE virus harm my computer since I got my first one.

Users

Topics