PC randomly shuts down

• My computer randomly shuts down and it’s been doing it for about a week. It’s not a virus or any crap like that since it does it on Windows, Linux and even while no operating system is running. Since I don’t feel like unplugging every single part and waiting for about 5 hours every time I remove one to see if it crashes, can anyone help me?

I have tested my RAM and it returned 0 errors, by the way.

• My computer randomly shuts down and it’s been doing it for about a week. It’s not a virus or any crap like that since it does it on Windows, Linux and even while no operating system is running. Since I don’t feel like unplugging every single part and waiting for about 5 hours every time I remove one to see if it crashes, can anyone help me?

I have tested my RAM and it returned 0 errors, by the way.

• Could it be overheating?

• PC Specs?

• Do you leave it on overnight? I had the same problem and ended up having to buy a new power supply for my computer because i guess it fried and just stopped turning on.

• Overheating will do that to your machine. Just leave it off for a day or two. Go experience outside and then come back and become a recluse.

• Ya, have you looked to see if your fans are still spinning?

• @PureJeenyus:

Ya, have you looked to see if your fans are still spinning?

I’m not a dumbass, that was one of the first things I checked.

Oh and, I fixed it. It was my keyboard.
    Okay now instead of shutting down it just powers off.
    The power supply was crashing it while the keyboard was power-off-ing it.

• My printer pisses me off. When it’s plugged in and turned off it makes my computer take 20 minutes to start. I have to turn it whenever it’s plugged in to the computer BEFORE I turn the computer on to avoid it.

• At least you don’t have my PC. I have to play ZS with a framerate of 10fps and lowering the video details does absolutely nothing to improve it.

• My SkyBox turns on all my Tv’s connected to it after i turn then off.

• It’s probably overheating.  Try taking the side panel off your PC for better airflow and see if that works.

• If it was just killing the power randomly, then my assumption is that it’s overheating. Sure, the fans might still be spinning, but might not be running as quick as they ought to be. You might not have an efficient enough cooling system. This means extractor fans for the case. The computer components heat up, and the heat-sinks take that heat to the attached fans and blow all that heat into the case. Where does it go now? It has to leave the case. There should be enough space in the back and the front of the case to allow air to pass through; out through, and in through the front to replace the extracted air. No fresh air at room temperature, no heat transfer.

Then again, it could be a damaged PSU. Buy a new one at your local Maplin (UK), RadioShack (US), PC World (Both) or whereever you buy your components.

If your components aren’t overheating, then it could be a damaged thermal sensor. Most computers will automatically shut down between 70 and 90 Degrees Celcius. If one of the sensors aren’t working properly, it’ll likely give a false reading, and make your motherboard think that the system is overheating.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.