Updates coming

• This is a planned major update to the game. The themes for this are makeover, bloat reduction, immersion, and better game flow over time.

More stuff will be added to the lists as I think of them.

Inventory / crafting

Right now we have an obtuse and confusing system for inventory and crafting. The menus are extremely shitty in both usage and looks. We have like 3 different menus to do things that should be in one place. This also needs a complete rewrite of the internal systems.

• Completely get rid of the right hand of the screen when holding alt. The ammo display, drop weapon, etc. menu.
    • Move weapons and ammo to the inventory where they belong. Inventory will display all belongings, not just components and trinkets.
    • Inventory items now display number of stacks for ammo.
    • Drag items out of inventory to drop them.
    • Mouse over to display name and description.
    • Right click on items in inventory to open radial context menu around the mouse pointer. Drop item, empty clip, disassemble, etc. is all here.
    • Double click on items to use.
    • Get rid of limit on carrying 3 components.
    • Allow carrying more than one of a certain trinket but do not stack effects.
    • Add crafting area next to inventory. Displays all crafts that you have at least one ingredient of. Mouse over to show name, description, and an ingredient list which shows what you already have and what is needed. Items you can craft are red. Can’t craft are normal. Click to instantly craft.
    • Don’t require dismantling a trinket to get a component version of itself. Just make the recipe require the trinket itself.
    • Allow dismantling anywhere without a remantler. Remove option from the remantler menu.
    • Remove all recipes that involve props in the world that only give you scrap.
    • Remove all recipes that involve props in the world to make another prop.
    • Convert all props in the world that are part of recipes such as batteries, sawblades, etc. to components so they do not need to be dismantled beforehand.
    • Change the Megamasher recipe to require something else.
    • Remove the Crafting Pack from worth. Add the components themselves.

Skills

• Rearrange the skill web. Instead of one contiguous web, have multiple webs with their own starting points. This will make it so people can pick the skills they really want without having to unlock prerequisites they don’t. A new, larger dummy node will be added to the center of webs to indicate the starting points.
    • Remove Muscular, make the effects baseline. This skill is on 99% of peoples lists as it has no downsides. Replace with different barricade-centric skill.
    • Remove all unlock skills for items that are not variants. Zapper, Repair Field, acid grenade, etc. Replace them with variant versions of the items. This has already been done with the corrupted sigil fragment.

UI

Reduction of bloat on the HUD / GUI. Information can be presented without taking up so much room on the screen and a lot of info is superflurous and not needed.

• Fear-o-meter in its entirety can be removed. The sigil indicators are duplicates of the on-screen indicators and not needed. The meter itself is also not needed because the post-process/music is there as an immersive indicator. Usually the meter is 100% full anyway.
    • Make the sigil corruption noise more menacing and add a short screen effect in place of the red eye UI effect.
    • Health area can be shrunk to be more consise and take up a smaller area. A simple health bar with number suffices instead of the obnoxious model outline that mirrors your animations. It looks cool but it serves no real purpose. Alternatively it can be shrunk and made stationary. Armor will appear as a smaller bar underneath when you have armor.
    • The game does not need to tell you to right click to hammer a nail in.
    • The default hl2 weapon selection GUI is both ugly and big. Make a custom one modeled after the new inventory.
    • The killnotification area does not need to be so big and it does not need to display any more than the last 6 or so deaths. I’m not really sure about it but I have thought about not having a killfeed at all or only displaying human deaths since zombie ones are useless info.
    • Make checkboxes and sliders in the GUI not look horrible.
    • Remove the extremely stupid looking red skull thing that zooms in to the screen when a boss is spawned.
    • Scoreboard is very squished, mostly because of the use of the stylized font forcing a large font size. Switch to using a more neutral, smaller font for player names. Player names also do not have to be color coded, they are already on different sides of the board. No point in showing a persons R.Level on the scoreboard when you can see it under them.
    • Display a star instead of “Level” under a player and display an R instead of “R.Level” when pointing at them.
    • The level/XP display can be moved to the bottom of the health area. Display “Level” and “R.Level” like above. Do not display exact XP unless mousing over the bar.
    • Reduce the time to fade out a players name and health display when pointing away from them and increase the time to fade in.
    • Rework the display for nail health, repair remaining, etc to avoid this. There is no reason for players to need to know the exact numerical value of health or repair left.
      • Instead of 2 bars and 4 numbers, only display 2 bars.
      • The bars increase in max width depending on how much health there is total and the bar is split in to sections that each represent 200 health.
      • The owner name can be reduced from large sylized font, pure white to a smaller font, translucent gray.
      • The barricade expert lock icon can be displayed next to the name instead of separately.
      • The model scale for nails should be reduced. They look more like rebar right now.
      • The display now becomes translucent when facing away from the object. This lets people focus on one prop at a time but still display all prop health if they want.
    • Move the debuff/poison/bleed timers to above the health area and stack them a bit tighter. They don’t belong in the middle of the screen. Change them from big long bars to circular bars.
    • The zombie class selection menu is clunky and hard to use.
      • Display all classes in a full screen menu. Reduce size of icons to fit.
      • Display variants on their own rather than requiring cycling.
      • Sort the list by wave unlocked.
      • Display class info in a tooltip when mousing over the class.
    • Damage numbers can be consolidated in to a single number per target. It isn’t nice to see 20 numbers thrown out when using a burst weapon.

Effects

A lot of effects are too eye catching for what they represent or straight up ugly.

• Chem Burster needs to have less obnoxious, bright, opaque particles. Will probably make them darker or affected by lighting. The sound they make should also be changed.
    • Howler buff is too bright and distracting.
    • Add a breaking sound to barricade kit boards.

Screen effects

• Zombie vision needs to be improved so it doesn’t look like fullbright + a puke filter. Player outlines in this mode also need to be changed to not be so intense looking.
    • Dim Vision was meant to reduce visual range. Make the Z clipping more pronounced and reduce the darkness a bit.

Gameplay and balance

As time has gone on we’ve moved far, far away from the roots of zombie survival. Games typically start out as a shooting gallery and only towards the mid-end turn in to survival, then a giant cluster fuck in the last wave with the results given up to chance. We’re going to put changes in that keep the feeling of survival for the entire game. That means normalizing the effectiveness of both teams throughout the entire duration of the round. Additionally, humans will become less effective early on and zombies less effective later on.

• Humans should not be privy to some information and thus will no longer know the following:
      • What each zombie player class is via the scoreboard.
      • Which boss zombie has spawned.
    • Zombies should also not be privy to some information and will no longer know:
      • Who nailed something.
      • Who owns a deployable or its health.
    • Maximum weapon tier reduced from 6 to 5. Weapons in tiers 5 and 6 are reduced 1 tier and have a reduction in both price and effectiveness to match. There was originally never an intention to be any this high. The upper tiers can easily clear entire hallways alone and are almost comical (some literally are comical).
    • Ranged starter weapons damage reduced by 10% across the board (not melee). This is the first step in reducing the “shooting gallery” of wave 1 and sometimes beyond.
    • Zombies will no longer receive extreme slow down if hit while crouch jumping. This was originally meant to stop people spamming crouch in mid-air but other methods have been put in to stop this. This leg damage was excessive and allowed people to exploit it with their barricade setups. Zombies will still receive 1x damage instead of 0.25x if hit in the legs while crouch jumping.
    • Props that are constrained on a hinge or anything else but not nailed will no longer be no collided when picked up. This most obviously affects doors.
    • Props that are broken off a barricade are no longer invulnerable.
    • Props that are unnailed will instantly have their prop health lowered to the health that was remaining on the nail system, if it was lower. Prevents an exploit.
    • Flesh Creeper nests can now be built 2x faster but building will be halted for 1 second if the nest is damaged. Nests are an integral part of the game but it often felt like a chore to build them. This will allow them to be created faster but not spammed or repaired through damage from things like manhacks.
    • Flesh Creepers now have a leap. Their mobility was only better than torso classes. This change allows them to reach new areas and to more easily sneak and create nests undisturbed by would-be spawn campers.
    • Removed the 15% wave intermission discount from the arsenal crate. It did not make sense to give players a discount for negative risk. Instead, give all humans a 5+w-1 point reward when the wave ends for surviving. 5 points on wave 1 intermission. 6 on wave 2, etc.
    • Decreased wave 0 / waiting for players duration. 3 minutes is quite excessive and most of the time is not spent constructively.
    • Changed how Force Field Emitters work. They now take pulse ammo to absorb projectiles. One pulse ammo allows for 10 points of absorbed damage. Force Fields now also show cracks in the field to indicate low remaining ammo and flash red to indicate absorbing a projectile. Previously these were able to be repaired endlessly with wrenches, which is not how barricade objects are supposed to work.
    • Normalize the effectiveness and unlocking order of zombie classes. Expands the toolset of the zombies when it is most lacking in the early waves while making it so almost all zombie classes are relevant even in the later stages.
      • Wraith. Wave 2 -> 1.
      • Fast Zombie. Wave 3 -> 2. This class maintains its effectiveness throughout the game. Early on as a hunter and later on as a way to break in to high up places. However in the first 2 waves there is really nothing except agile dead to act as a hunter.
      • Elder Ghoul. Wave 1 -> 2. Moving this to wave 2 gives humans a 1 wave relief against poison.
      • Frost Ghoul. Wave 1 -> 2. Extremely effective as an assassin and for debilitating, this class is moved to wave 2.
    • Recent Dead removed. Agile Dead performs the role a lot better and this class is almost never used.
    • Some zombies which are simply better versions of others will now automatically block the use of those worse versions over time. Players using the worse versions will auto spawn as the best one. Does not do this in objective maps. This will stop newer players from selecting ineffective classes, especially later on.
      • Zombie -> Eradicator (revives faster)
      • Agile Zombie -> Fast Zombie -> Lacerator (can now climb and attacks are similar to FZ. Stats adjusted)
      • Bloated Zombie -> Vile Bloated Zombie (stats equalized)
      • Poison Zombie -> Wild Poison Zombie (stats equalized, does not drain health on poison throw)
      • etc…

• cant read all of this :(

• More stuff will be added to the lists as I think of them.

Don’t see any mention about bots. Are bots in the update queue?

https://noxiousnet.com/update/9b5082cb79a261b22d9d0d4d20d9cd256c3fb9c7

Bot work. Probably gonna have to make my own pathing system.

• @jetboom said in Updates coming:

Health area can be shrunk to be more consise and take up a smaller area. A simple health bar with number suffices instead of the obnoxious model outline that mirrors your animations. It looks cool but it serves no real purpose. Alternatively it can be shrunk and made stationary. Armor will appear as a smaller bar underneath when you have armor.

I’ve really wanted something like this over the current health interface. Glad it’s getting changed.

Make checkboxes and sliders in the GUI not look horrible.

Should the options menu also have tabs? I’ve added a lot of options in past few months - I think it’s starting to get cluttered.

No point in showing a persons R.Level on the scoreboard when you can see it under them.

If you’re removing this I would like some other cosmetic flair to connotate (if you can’t find the person directly) their level. I’m sure others would like to know this, especially if you want the following:

Reduce the time to fade out a players name and health display when pointing away from them and increase the time to fade in.

Otherwise finding someone’s remort level is going to be frustrating to do.

Switch to using a more neutral, smaller font for player names.
    The owner name can be reduced from large sylized font, pure white to a smaller font, translucent gray.

I think, with the new font I’ve introduced for the arsenal - you could switch some more of the “body” text used there and stuff that needs to be less stylized to that.

Also what’s your opinion on the worth and arsenal menus? Do you think these need to be unified? The worth doesn’t have weapon stats on them right now. Is the user flow of buying an item clunky or obtrusive in places? (I did an option to quick buy).

A lot of effects are too eye catching for what they represent or straight up ugly.

Any weapon effects that come to mind?

Remove the Crafting Pack from worth. Add the components themselves.

Will it be random or can you select which ones you buy?

Dim Vision was meant to reduce visual range. Make the Z clipping more pronounced and reduce the darkness a bit.

It’s a bit inconsistent too. Some maps it does basically nothing except dim your screen and others it completely cripples you. I think it’s probably down to the fog.

Get rid of limit on carrying 3 components.

I figure you want to treat it like maps treat weapons that are placed then, people can scoop them if they want to and it’s up to the mapper scatter them appropriately.

Remove Muscular, make the effects baseline. This skill is on 99% of peoples lists as it has no downsides. Replace with different barricade-centric skill.

I don’t really know if this is right place to mention - but once players get to a certain remort level, it is starting to feel that a lot of skill trees basically resemble each other with “mandatory skills”. Do you reckon there should be a higher quantity of skills (just more or split up the current ones), or is that not needed? There are 100+ skills now, so pathing in the tree is a bit more important but not significantly, it still isn’t too deep in a sense. But if we’re reworking things then this could also be looked at.

• Well, what about combining the regular zombie choice menu and the boss menu?
    Or at least forcing the boss choice menu for the player?
    I mean mostly people who become boss zombies are nightmares…

Also what about changing the human ability menu to something less laggy?
    I find the smoke around the skill menu useless.

And the last thing - maybe we could have the nail removing with a timer?
    I mean, if you remove your nails you do it instantly, but when other player does it, it itakes 3 to 5 seconds for each with an ability to extend this timer instead of non-removeable nails. The removing process may be stopped by hitting the remover(that can get red aura while he does it) with a hammer dealing small warning damage. You see, sometimes players(with that I-know-how-to-cade skill) nail props and forget about them, but those may be needed to restore a cade or move it away.

One more thought - about Muscular skill. It should remain, yet it has to have some additional skills, like decreased speed reduction, ability to throw props(we can do it now just by a quick turning btw), lower prop damage and the ability to HOLD THE GODDAMN CHAIR IN ITS POSITION WHILE YOU TRY NAIL IT, like a second hand skill or something.

• One other thing about the remort level - it has significance in relation who can unnail your props with barricade expert. Each colour is graded to a 4 level sliding window - which gives remort level precedence. That is a significant reason why it is always visible - it doesn’t need to be the scoreboard - but I really think it needs to be visible.

Well, what about combining the regular zombie choice menu and the boss menu?
    Or at least forcing the boss choice menu for the player?
    I mean mostly people who become boss zombies are nightmares…

You realise how many classes you shove on one window if you do something like this?

One more thought - about Muscular skill. It should remain, yet it has to have some additional skills, like decreased speed reduction, ability to throw props(we can do it now just by a quick turning btw), lower prop damage and the ability to HOLD THE GODDAMN CHAIR IN ITS POSITION WHILE YOU TRY NAIL IT, like a second hand skill or something.

What? You can already hold props with shift.

Also what about changing the human ability menu to something less laggy?
    I find the smoke around the skill menu useless.

If there are performance issues it’s not the smoke. I did optimise something more internal a bit recently.

And the last thing - maybe we could have the nail removing with a timer?

No idea what you mean.

• @raox

You realise how many classes you shove on one window if you do something like this?

Well, didnt I give an option to show the players a brighter warning for them to choose the class of boss? Maybe something like a blinkin reminder that says “You are the boss! Press F3 to choose class” and then a blinking boss selection button.

What? You can already hold props with shift.

My bad, didnt know it.

If there are performance issues it’s not the smoke. I did optimise something more internal a bit recently.

I dont know if it the performance issues, but it works slow. Also it would be fine to have a search bar or something like it for fast search.

No idea what you mean.

Imagine a not instant removal of other players’ nails, if you don’t have a skill, that allows you to do it(with remort of course). It sllows you to remove nails of any player, but takes some time and is stopable by the owner.

• @the-gun-eater

You see, sometimes players(with that I-know-how-to-cade skill) nail props and forget about them, but those may be needed to restore a cade or move it away.

The only 3 reason i can think of why people will do this is A they will use it later. B stop people shit cading and just make cading harder to do or. C other people doing the (you rek my cade i now rek your props) thing.

• @Billy-the-NHS-medic

They will use it later

If they dont die first or will be too busy doing other things.

stop people shitcading

This is a good reason, yet this method should be not so permanent. The scheme I thought of could at least increase the interaction of caders.

RE(eeeeeee)K

Well, this happens too.

All in all humans fail mostly because one “good” cader thinks that one prop is just enough to hold from wave one to the end of wave 6 and dont let others to cade properly.

• @the-gun-eater

If they dont die first or will be too busy doing other things.

If the cader die then you can remove the nail if the cader is dead or you can ask for the prob and the cader maby can let you have it if the cader trust you with it.

• @raox said in Updates coming:

Should the options menu also have tabs? I’ve added a lot of options in past few months - I think it’s starting to get cluttered.

It’ll have sections.

No point in showing a persons R.Level on the scoreboard when you can see it under them.

If you’re removing this I would like some other cosmetic flair to connotate (if you can’t find the person directly) their level. I’m sure others would like to know this, especially if you want the following:

Still keeping the number when you target them.

Also what’s your opinion on the worth and arsenal menus? Do you think these need to be unified? The worth doesn’t have weapon stats on them right now. Is the user flow of buying an item clunky or obtrusive in places? (I did an option to quick buy).

They really should be using the same menu.

Will it be random or can you select which ones you buy?

Select, of course.

I don’t really know if this is right place to mention - but once players get to a certain remort level, it is starting to feel that a lot of skill trees basically resemble each other with “mandatory skills”. Do you reckon there should be a higher quantity of skills (just more or split up the current ones), or is that not needed? There are 100+ skills now, so pathing in the tree is a bit more important but not significantly, it still isn’t too deep in a sense. But if we’re reworking things then this could also be looked at.

I’m rearranging it so its grouped better and people don’t need to unlock skills they don’t necessarily want to get ones they do. Instead of a single web you have to build out of the center, have multiple webs with their own starting points.

• @jetboom

• The default hl2 weapon selection GUI is both ugly and big. Make a custom one modeled after the new inventory.

I have a problem with this, i never see a weapon selection gui. I see it on dudes videos and my brothers screen when he plays zs but i dont have it on my computer. I just scroll both ways untill i finally find the item i want to use and it gets annoying. Anyone know how to enable it? I have all the hl2 titles installed and mounted.

• @asdasdasd said in Updates coming:

@jetboom

I have a problem with this, i never see a weapon selection gui. I see it on dudes videos and my brothers screen when he plays zs but i dont have it on my computer. I just scroll both ways untill i finally find the item i want to use and it gets annoying. Anyone know how to enable it? I have all the hl2 titles installed and mounted.

Your technical issues aren’t the thread for this.

• Banned

This post is deleted!

• @asdasdasd
    Just BTW - look into your gmod options, it may have the fast weapon switch enabled.

• when will this come

• @tunç Whenever someone works and finishes it. There’s no deadline or anything there…

• @asdasdasd
    disable fast weapon switch

• This is awesome work. Those changes show a serious level of work and passion, it’s always surprising to see for a community made gamemode. Thanks for putting in that work, it’s much appreciated.

• @JetBoom custom ammo is fixed so the components can be tied to ammo types for when you work on this.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.