[EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players

• Banned

The aiming guide, while somewhat of a nicety, is honestly incredibly distracting. It also disincentivizes skill in knowing shots. I’m also not sure why this was implemented to begin with. Unless it’s simply to help new players or those who don’t play the gamemode often? Which if that is the case, why not make it a temporary feature to help new players get acclimated to the gamemode and learn shots? I don’t know how it can be coded, but say (for the sake of an example) a new players reaches 50 or 100 hours of gameplay on the server, the aiming guide disappears.

This way it gives them a bit of even footing with the regulars in starting out and helps them get familiar with shots, but also makes it fair to regulars by not permanently making the gamemode casual.

• It was implemented because it’s a nice feature. Any game that has throwing in it is going to have this. Turning it off would be catering to a vocal minority. People don’t need to spend 10 hours in singleplayer remembering spots and angles. It only helps with the obvious shots, not the difficult or bouncing ones that still need to be learned.

If it was x hours to use the line then:

• you would still complain about players getting shots with the line.
    • people would make alts so they could use the line.
    • people would wonder where the line went.
    • it would be a convoluted system.

And the gamemode is casual. At least the server is.

The most I can do is make a client convar to disable it or eft_competitive 1 to turn it off.

• Banned

@jetboom said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

It was implemented because it’s a nice feature. Any game that has throwing in it is going to have this. Turning it off would be catering to a vocal minority. People don’t need to spend 10 hours in singleplayer remembering spots and angles. It only helps with the obvious shots, not the difficult or bouncing ones that still need to be learned.

This is bs. CS:GO has throwing in it, yet there isn’t a guide line for throwing grenades because that would be op. And where is the vocal majority asking for a guide line? Definitely no one asked for it. All it is is as you said, just a nice feature. But it neither improves the longevity of the gamemode nor incentivizes skill.

And you don’t need to spend ten hours in singleplayer to learn shots. No one even does this. At least not for hours on end. Most of the learning is in gameplay, like you do in any other game. And if it helps with “obvious” shots, then why is it even needed?

If it was x hours to use the line then:

• you would still complain about players getting shots with the line.
    • people would make alts so they could use the line.
    • people would wonder where the line went.
    • it would be a convoluted system.
    1. No, we wouldn’t complain, because we would be getting players who actually are now more likely to score which would make playing eft more interesting. It’s stale when a small group of people are capable of shots and not many new players. And this feature would be temporary.

2. Yes, people can make alts. Issue with that is most of the regulars find the line distracting, so they’re far less likely to do that, because we’re much better without it. Hell, if someone wants to make an alt and buy Garry’s Mod again to use a guide line, then so be it? Seems like a lot of pointless effort to–in this hypothetical–use a temporary nicety.

3. Maybe also make a notice or something that it’s temporary? Like in tips or something. Or a warning. There are solutions for it.

4. Convoluted how?

And the gamemode is casual. At least the server is.

It’s a sports gamemode. It shouldn’t be as casual as it is now. Like I said, it disincentivizes skill and doesn’t do anything to improve the longevity of the game in its current form. It’d be much better as a temporary feature to help new players get acclimated.

The most I can do is make a client convar to disable it or eft_competitive 1 to turn it off.

I don’t see why making it temporary is a huge fuss. This benefits both new and old players. But if for the time being you can make it toggleable, that would be fantastic, but I think my suggestion is a better solution.

• @later-gator said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

This is bs. CS:GO has throwing in it, yet there isn’t a guide line for throwing grenades because that would be op. And where is the vocal majority asking for a guide line? Definitely no one asked for it. All it is is as you said, just a nice feature. But it neither improves the longevity of the gamemode nor incentivizes skill.

CS:GO throwing is extremely straight forward and the game isn’t based around it. If you mean a line for throwing over the map then of course there’s not, because no one would be able to see it. Throwing flash bangs over the map by remembering pixel perfect spots was always nonsense.

1. No, we wouldn’t complain, because we would be getting players who actually are now more likely to score which would make playing eft more interesting. It’s stale when a small group of people are capable of shots and not many new players. And this feature would be temporary.

You would complain or feel cheated, we both know this.

1. Yes, people can make alts. Issue with that is most of the regulars find the line distracting, so they’re far less likely to do that, because we’re much better without it.

You’re not better without an aimbot unless you’re making a bounce shot.

1. Convoluted how?

Because it’s a nonsensical solution. What if they go to another server? How would I track their total play time?

It’s a sports gamemode. It shouldn’t be as casual as it is now. Like I said, it disincentivizes skill and doesn’t do anything to improve the longevity of the game in its current form. It’d be much better as a temporary feature to help new players get acclimated.

RTP isn’t casual and it’s dead. Sports and casual aren’t correlated.

I don’t see why making it temporary is a huge fuss. This benefits both new and old players. But if for the time being you can make it toggleable, that would be fantastic, but I think my suggestion is a better solution.

The line objectively benefits all players. If I can steam roll new people 1 v 3 after not playing for years then you can deal with those people having a guiding line in even numbers.

• Banned

EFT has been dead for the past week. Very few of the regulars even hop on now. The only population it gets is when you bring people from ZS over, but that’s merely an event.

At the very least, I think a good compromise for the time being would be simply making it toggleable, wouldn’t you agree?

• Less dead than before the update.

• @later-gator Are you saying that the gamemode should cater towards hardcore players and the player count would increase because of that?

Do you even know the playerbase and the current state of garry’s mod?
    It’s not even that. What’s being done to the gamemode is applying basic game design methods.

If you were a real world game designer with those opinions you would be taken out the back and shot you dumb mexican field worker bitch.

• Banned

@atomic said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

@later-gator Are you saying that the gamemode should cater towards hardcore players and the player count would increase because of that?

Nope. You’re putting words in my mouth. The gamemode should cater to both new players and veteran players. My suggestion was made in mind to benefit both.

Do you even know the playerbase and the current state of garry’s mod?

No, I don’t. I only know eft’s playerbase and what keeps players and what makes them go and why player retention isn’t so good. But if you want to educate me on the broad scope of garry’s mod’s playerbase, I’m all ears. Let’s make this constructive.

It’s not even that. What’s being done to the gamemode is applying basic game design methods.

Then please explain to me what those basic game design methods are and why they’re important. I’m not a game designer.

If you were a real world game designer with those opinions you would be taken out the back and shot you dumb mexican field worker bitch.

Maybe. You don’t have to resort to pointless name-calling. I never claimed to be a game designer. I, and many others, love eft and often talk about what can be done to improve it to make it popular. And what I’m saying is the general consensus of how we feel. We’ve played the gamemode for years and kept it alive and want to keep it alive.

• Well let’s see. I can make a small handful of people quit over a small change even though they hardly played already or I can keep features that don’t alienate new players. Even with you guys “quitting”, the average pop went way up so I must be doing something right. Keep in mind that this is essentially a charity. I hardly benefit either way but I would sooner shut down and delete everything before catering to vocal minorities in game design.

• @later-gator said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

And what I’m saying is the general consensus of how we feel. We’ve played the gamemode for years and kept it alive and want to keep it alive.

I am so utterly confused how an aiming guide is going to contribute to EFT being worse off.

It also disincentivizes skill in knowing shots.

This isn’'t something like Tribes though.

• Banned

@raox said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

@later-gator said in [EFT] Remove aiming guide or make it temporary for new players:

And what I’m saying is the general consensus of how we feel. We’ve played the gamemode for years and kept it alive and want to keep it alive.

I am so utterly confused how an aiming guide is going to contribute to EFT being worse off.

I suppose the biggest complaint is that it’s incredibly distracting. Besides, we’ve more or less already moved on to the compromise of at least making it toggleable. And seeing as the guide line will not go anyway, why not make it more concise/smaller? Maybe just make it a line, or make the rings vastly smaller? @JetBoom

It also disincentivizes skill in knowing shots.

This isn’'t something like Tribes though.

I don’t understand your point.

• Then an option could just be added to toggle it as mentioned.

• Now I’ve never known a lot about this gamemode because of how casual I play but I don’t even know what the line is or how to… yeah do any of that aim learning. Sounds like a cool idea though- I’d use it for a little bit to check how I shoot and see if I’m a retard or not with my aim.

You’ve got my support on keeping it

• https://noxiousnet.com/update/4b30e0db1275e76669f0af857b3368eb2eb218d5

eft_throwingguide is now a client convar, defaults to 1.
    eft_competitive enforces the guiding line off for all players.

• Banned

@jetboom Thank you so much for this update! One small thing, if I may request. Can the client convar actually revert to the old aiming display with the circle? The bars are still there, but it feels empty without the old circle.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.