[ZS] Inventory, Trinkets and Reworking Crafting

• There’s some major changes that are coming to way certain things work on ZS, and I want to tackle the way how trinkets operate and also how crafting operates ultimately, leading into what would be the production of a fairly simplistic inventory system for ZS that shouldn’t be too intrusive to gameplay and in fact I think it complements it better than the current system even.

Here’s a basic cropped screenshot of what I’ve got currently, some of the icons are rudimentary right now. Not 100% on the layout but I’m fairly happy with the basics:

alt text

This inventory I think is going to appear when you hold ALT, which is how I currently have it setup to work. There’s going to be 4 categories (probably on 3 if I were to release it first, though). Stored weapons, trinkets and components and potentially consumables will be here.

People have requested being able to store weapons in their inventory for quite some time with the new remantling systems that have been put into ZS, so that’ll be a possibility with this inventory category. The way I’ve got it setup right now is that you can hold one of each type of weapon as a spare. I’m probably going to impose some type of hard cap for each category based on the amount you can hold. Perhaps I might add skills that can increase this for a downside. This change allows you to pick up weapons to disassemble even if you’ve already got one of those equipped. There’s buttons on the side that give you the possibility of storing your currently held weapon and equipping one from the inventory if you don’t already have it. I don’t think this is intrusive, it’s probably easy to do even while moving.

What also I’ll be doing as you’ve noticed, is trinkets appear in the inventory. Trinkets are a bit of a mess to manage right now if you get even more than one, and there’s not really an easy to view what they do if you happen to pick one up. So with this system, trinkets aren’t going to be inherently weapons anymore. Having the trinket in your inventory will be enough. You can switch to this tab and select the trinkets and view what they do from here, which I think is a major improvement to the system. Now you might ask about missing functionality related to being able to drop and give trinkets, to which I’ll add, this is the ALT menu so what I’m probably going to do (alongside the weapons and components tabs) is if you’ve got something selected, instead of giving or dropping your currently held weapon, it’ll give or drop whatever item you’ve got selected. Buying a trinket or picking one up will put this straight into your inventory.

Finally, the rework to crafting is potentially the most controversial one so I do probably need some input on this one since I know people have very strong opinions about it, but the way I’m doing it allows crafting recipes to become potentially secret and add an element of discovery. The way I have it outlined is as follows - you can either disassemble an item from your inventory to get just a component or you can use a remantler to get the scrap and the component, so yes, before you mention, you won’t NEED a remantler to craft, but it is an optimal solution to use one. With this component you’ve just obtained you’ll be able to use it on any weapon but the game will tell you if the crafting is successful or not, otherwise you won’t consume the component. The major strength of this is now you never have to do any in world crafting ever. You can do it completely from your inventory, and you also have the ability to do it with upgraded weapons in the remantler to retrieve their scrap value. An important thing to note is that you’ll actually need to try using the component on different weapons to find recipes. Before you ask, the crafting recipes that currently exist in ZS won’t be modified strictly, they’ll be just start using the components.

For an example: You find a Battleaxe Handgun and you disassemble it from your inventory, which gives you something like a Barrel component. You’ll use this barrel component with a Glock in your inventory and it crafts that Glock into a Waraxe. With crafts that involve items from the world, such as explosive barrels, I think I’ll make it so you can interact with them from alt to change them into a component you store in your inventory. To counteract the problem of people potentially “absorbing” a bunch of components and hoarding them, I’ll probably just make the capacity of the component inventory small.

And that about sums it up for what I’m proposing to change this to. I think cohesively this system covers a lot of bases and fixes a lot of clunky functionality and makes it far less foreboding in the long run. I need feedback though, if you think something isn’t going to work or you think certain types of functionality are worse, you should let me know in this thread. Also don’t be afraid to ask questions about how things in this system work in general, because I might not have covered all the issues pertinent to it in this thread.

• If you haven’t thought about it already, passive trinkets going straight to the inventory would be a good idea.

Also, consider adding a button to the inventory menu that dismantles/scraps using a nearby remantler

• @Tyler1274 said in [ZS] Inventory, Trinkets and Reworking Crafting:

If you haven’t thought about it already, passive trinkets going straight to the inventory would be a good idea.

Yep, if the trinket doesn’t have a left click functionality associated with it, there won’t be a “weapon”. Otherwise things like resupply packs will get a companion weapon, that’s an extension of it, rather than being the trinket itself.

Also, consider adding a button to the inventory menu that dismantles/scraps using a nearby remantler

Definitely required for this I think. It would be really nice to quickly scrap a bunch of waste tier 1s you’ve collected. It also needs to allow for trinkets being dismantled which was a feature recently added. I’m also considering making the remantler not require you to deposit your weapon at all.

• Administrators

Just don’t overcomplicate it if you want to do this. My original idea was just a way to make crafting more intuitive. Scan the area around the player for valid recipes and have a one press button to make it. There’s no reason to not keep weapons and trinkets as weapon entities. As for other small parts, if you need a menu then I wouldn’t even have separate categories. Color for the outline and auto-sorting is enough.

Just remember ZS is an arcade game at heart, not a sim. All the stuff gets wiped at the end of the round so there’s no reason to have super complex systems for the sake of anything besides novelty and parody.

• I don’t think I’m going to it make any more complicated or more complex that I’ve outlined here at least. I honestly feel that trinkets being as weapons is probably an issue because I think some players might expect the majority to have interactivity when really most of them are passive bonuses, so I feel like they belong in an inventory like this. The ability to have weapons in the inventory isn’t a required thing but I think it’s something players would appreciate having. A lot of what I was trying to clean up here is in world crafting being far less of a problem than it currently is, part of the time wasted in crafting in some cases is finding a space spot to craft to drop one of the weapons you’re going to use so I consider that a timesink. I think most of the stuff I’ve outlined should work quickly but it’s also not a core part of the gameplay either, it doesn’t detract from the pick up a gun and shoot zombies part at all.

Rolling it into one menu with categorical outlining probably does seem like the way to go with it in terms of altering the menus. It also makes the crafting probably less clunky than having to switch over between tabs. I imagine it wouldn’t take long to craft something this way. I can probably make it 2 clicks since you’re pretty much inferred to want to craft with a component, select a component then select an inventory weapon and it’s done. That should be very fast.

• passive trinkets seem like a good idea but new crafting system is shit

• You wanna elaborate? Because I consider it an upgrade in almost every way. I almost don’t think you’ve even read anything I’ve said because “passive trinkets seem like a good idea” is something in the game already, so I’m inclined to discard your opinion.

0_1493505001059_upload-5565af39-bb01-4a9a-a706-ff5a07fdb877

Removed the tabbing and this how some assorted weapons and trinkets look. Trinket icon is temporary right now. Temporary icon on the left and right to store and equip weapons from the inventory.

• Adding a bit onto what Jet said, these changes are all good as long as the interface is “fast”

My main problem with the remantler (not sure how it is atm but at the time it was) was how slow it was to use in comparison to the arsenal because of confirmation stuff and buttons etc, plus the arsenal has buying shortcuts with console commands.

it feels really shitty to lose a sigil, player or round because of how slow you navigate an interface. As long as it’s smooth I don’t see this being a bad thing even if it’s a relatively large change

• Administrators

@Raox What do you mean store and equip? Wouldn’t all weapons be always equipped? If not then it should force equip each weapon by class name. I guess you want to be able to hold weapons you already have one of. In which case you should just hold a counter of “extra stocks” rather than a complicated equip system. If you drop a weapon with extra stocks then it decreases the stock and drops an empty weapon. Picking up something you have just increases said stock. A lot more simple. Bottom line is the inventory is probably not going to just be a table of structs.

• That’s fair, I already did write it simply as being player.Inventory[item] = count in the code, so it supports it, I’ve just not made use of it yet. I can see what you mean with making the system more streamlined like that so I’ll work to discard those side buttons and make it properly synonymous what you’ve actually got.

• If you want to make use of the new crafting system then just have the “inventory” line at the top share its space with a crafting button (so you have two buttons along the top, Inventory and Crafting) – Pressing Crafting scans the area around the player and displays possible recipes. Clicking on the recipe shows the components and result (and stats if any) and gives you a “craft recipe” button, which funnels the result either to your inventory if it’s a weapon or trinket, or right in front of you if it’s anything else.

As for an inventory itself, I’d rather have it in list form - there’s no need for an icon for every weapon when you can just have “gun type” icons next to a list of names.

• So are you expanding on the types of crafting and stuff too? I.E adding sights, different barrels, etc.? As of now there isn’t really that many crafting recipes. If you aren’t then the crafting system seems like a waste IMO.

I do really like a proper inventory tho. I’d suggest some form of pseudo-permanent stuff that could be stored in your inventory (I.E you can keep certain items between rounds) to give you something to build up with but I can’t even begin to imagine how to balance that unless it’s like, a single component.

• I.E adding sights, different barrels, etc.?

That sounds really boring. A lot of the crafts if not all of them in the game are way more interesting than that. Of course that’s what a rework of said system allows is to expand on said recipes and also provide the ability to have basically properly secret recipes.

Pressing Crafting scans the area around the player and displays possible recipes. Clicking on the recipe shows the components and result

I really feel that’s over complicating it. Also involves dropping things, so you’re missing the point of the new system.

As for an inventory itself, I’d rather have it in list form - there’s no need for an icon for every weapon when you can just have “gun type” icons next to a list of names.

Not opposed to making this an option, we’ll see.

I’d suggest some form of pseudo-permanent stuff that could be stored in your inventory (I.E you can keep certain items between rounds) to give you something to build up with but I can’t even begin to imagine how to balance that unless it’s like, a single component.

Nope, as what with JetBoom said, and I mean, the closest thing you get to that is the starting food items and a crafting pack so, I think that suffices.

• I might just discard being able to hold spare weapons in the inventory and keep it to trinkets, components and the future consumables. It over complicates things otherwise, because on the other side since I’ve changed remantling, remantling is easier than before now, and binds actually exist for it (for advanced users, there’s no confirmation, but you can do zs_upgrade and zs_disassemble in console to do said thing to whatever weapon is in your hands), so it’s not terrible to just melt a bunch of things down anymore.

This way, everything that is part of the inventory would always be part of it, I think that keeps a nice distinction in terms of the language of how these items are used. Components are just gonna be craft this item with what you’re holding as a button that appears when you’ve selected it. Easy enough, and retains the discovery element.

Might add an option to remove the confirmation of scrapping things. I need to rework the options menu though, it’s getting very hefty with the list of options you can do, I’ll probably tabulate it.

Also to compensate for the lack thereof being able to see weapon statistics of crafted weapons that’ll be visible in the weapons database, I’ll format that to have the stat bars and what not.

• https://webmshare.com/play/NKzJ1

No icons yet for components so forgive the visuals, but this is some pretty fast crafting in my personal opinion. Nothing dropped out of your inventory at all in the world, it’s all interface based. You can probably do this while you’re moving. Notice how you can disassemble weapons from your inventory (there’s a bug with recording, the confirmation does not appear). I’m considering not even requiring a remantler to disassemble weapons for scrap anymore too, since nobody gets a commission. This would allow you to get rid of duplicate weapons you pick up without having to store them in your inventory like I previously wanted, and also do it while on the move, preventing the hauls to the remantler. The only thing remantlers would be required for is upgrading weapons and making trinkets with scrap.

• Will there be more crafting recipes created to go along with this new system?

• @Zeldabro said in [ZS] Inventory, Trinkets and Reworking Crafting:

Will there be more crafting recipes created to go along with this new system?

Of course.

• How dynamic do you plan on the system being? I saw “burst component” and I thought of all the weapons that it could be put on.

• I’m not sure yet, that’s just some generic filler name I come with for something that makes the Eraser a burst fire weapon aka the Tempest. But I could go that direction.

• I imagine the most it would go is special ammo mods that would take one gun and make it use another type of ammo. Things like making pistols use your extremely large supply of burst ammo that someone dropped and you can’t use normally because you don’t have a good burst weapon.

Actually, now I’m wondering what would happen if a “medic component” was added that could turn a few guns into a “medigun” ala Crusader’s Crossbow. Dispense healing syringes from afar, assuming your aim is true.

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.