[ZS] Shade Rework

• Shade Rework

Shade being reworked as previously outlined a while ago. Shield that absorbs damage and has to recharge. No longer immune to bullets, melee, etc. No longer damaged by light. Ability to pry rocks out of the ground as ammunition when none is around.

With this rework, the shade works like so:

• Takes damage from all sources now. Doesn’t take light damage.

• Pressing R on a ground surface pulls out a rock straight into your hands. Decided to not to make it use right click if you’re not hitting a prop because that could be annoying if you “miss” a prop. Rocks deal 21 damage, and you need to press R close to yourself whilst looking at the ground on a relatively flat surface.

• Pressing SHIFT now locks you into a shield channel state. You bring up a large shield and you can’t move. Takes 1.5 seconds to be fully active - bullets can pierce through at this time.

• The shield has 500 HP, and regenerates 25 HP a second. It can take up to 200 damage a second so the shield is assured to last roughly 2-3 seconds.

• If the shield is destroyed or taken down then a new one can’t be deployed for 6 seconds.

Slightly old videos as they lack effects, but shows off the new mechanics fairly well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxmi2E4Ap5XUWt4VjRtbV9BQUE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxmi2E4Ap5XQjZnNFJIRWdNNUU

• Shade Rework

Shade being reworked as previously outlined a while ago. Shield that absorbs damage and has to recharge. No longer immune to bullets, melee, etc. No longer damaged by light. Ability to pry rocks out of the ground as ammunition when none is around.

With this rework, the shade works like so:

• Takes damage from all sources now. Doesn’t take light damage.

• Pressing R on a ground surface pulls out a rock straight into your hands. Decided to not to make it use right click if you’re not hitting a prop because that could be annoying if you “miss” a prop. Rocks deal 21 damage, and you need to press R close to yourself whilst looking at the ground on a relatively flat surface.

• Pressing SHIFT now locks you into a shield channel state. You bring up a large shield and you can’t move. Takes 1.5 seconds to be fully active - bullets can pierce through at this time.

• The shield has 500 HP, and regenerates 25 HP a second. It can take up to 200 damage a second so the shield is assured to last roughly 2-3 seconds.

• If the shield is destroyed or taken down then a new one can’t be deployed for 6 seconds.

Slightly old videos as they lack effects, but shows off the new mechanics fairly well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxmi2E4Ap5XUWt4VjRtbV9BQUE
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxmi2E4Ap5XQjZnNFJIRWdNNUU

• Short clip I didn’t include of the shade raising and lowering the shield.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxxmi2E4Ap5XcGx6MUNMQjFwWmc

I’ve also made a small shade death effect since it lacked one.

• You might want to use the Aftershock material for the shield, it has a nice fresnel falloff that gives it smooth edges and looks super nice for a shield

• Feels like shade already has very limited functionality as it is, aside from his primary function as a bullet sponge; his niche is wandering dumb dumbs and idiots who forget to nail things down inside.

• @Kari:

Feels like shade already has very limited functionality as it is, aside from his primary function as a bullet sponge; his niche is wandering dumb dumbs and idiots who forget to nail things down inside.

It’s a hard boss to make it work functionally well, but the flashlight gimmick is really bad, since it scales to player count and cade composition, and isn’t affected by whatever weapons people have. It’s also a little buggy and sometimes can’t take damage from odd angles. Red Marrow would I think have been poised to take over as the potential bullet sponge boss. Shade still keeps this to some degree now but has a shield, I suppose it can be adjusted more easily too.

I also see people suggesting direct gameplay counters to shade - which I actually think indicates that something bad is happening in terms of it being only being able to be damaged by light. The counters should be more organic and less obvious rather than something like “pulse weapons should damage SHADES!!”.

You might want to use the Aftershock material for the shield, it has a nice fresnel falloff that gives it smooth edges and looks super nice for a shield

Got this to work and played with it for 15-20 minutes, it does look quite nice. I tried messing with SilhouetteThickness but I can’t really get it to work that well with the shield, guess in part to due to the way it renders (renders twice, once with a white material). I’m all up for changing the normal but this one seems fine I guess.

Second one is just without any real normal and high thickness.

• Use```
    materials/models/props_combine/sphere.vmt

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.