Half life 2 drone

• Too bad I can’t understand Russian (or read Cyrillic) because I would love for the guy who made that to post a tutorial or instructions on how to make an RC City Scanner. It would be cool to use something like that at a con or something like that.

• Administrators

@VentXekart:

Too bad I can’t understand Russian (or read Cyrillic) because I would love for the guy who made that to post a tutorial or instructions on how to make an RC City Scanner. It would be cool to use something like that at a con or something like that.

Don’t fly a drone indoors around hundreds of people you absolute madman.

• @Zetanor:

Don’t fly a drone indoors around hundreds of people you absolute madman.

Why not? Most non 5$ quadcopters are stable.

• Administrators

@ReaM:

Why not? Most non 5$ quadcopters are stable.

Same reason why I assume all the big cons banned them: most drone pilots are retarded and a failure or accident is much more likely to hurt someone than basically anywhere else on Earth given the number of people packed on the show floor.

• @Zetanor:

Same reason why I assume all the big cons banned them: most drone pilots are retarded and a failure or accident is much more likely to hurt someone than basically anywhere else on Earth given the number of people packed on the show floor.

Valid point, but I doubt that people who can make custom quadcopters are that retarded.

• @ReaM:

I doubt that people who can make custom quadcopters are that retarded.

Haha! You’ve never met a gormless engineer? Or instructables?

• Administrators

@ReaM:

Valid point, but I doubt that people who can make custom quadcopters are that retarded.

I suggest that you visit a university. Also, you never know when an electrolytic cap will have a stroke.

• @Zetanor:

I suggest that you visit a university. Also, you never know when an electrolytic cap will have a stroke.

I am in the one right now(in US), haven’t seen any quadcopters. Exploding capacitor will have almost no short-term impact on the circuit, there will be almost no spill of electrolyte, and I doubt anyone is using them instead of ceramic caps in that appliance.

• Game Admins

Totally and utterly incorrect.

• @Benjy:

Totally and utterly incorrect.

Me? Where?

• Game Admins

@ReaM:

Doubt anyone is using them instead of ceramic caps in that appliance.

Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance per volume than the other shop-bought alternatives. If you’re wanting to regulate power between several different sub-circuits, (and with proper control of each rotor, you’ll need a high capacitance) you’ll need to make use of electrolytic capacitors. This becomes more important when you’re using a battery that is capable of sustained high load (like the hl2 drone above which is also a HUGE electrolytic), but even if you open up a mini-quadcopter you’re more than likely to find a surface mount electrolytic.

@ReaM:

Exploding capacitor will have almost no short-term impact on the circuit.

Capacitors are used in circuits for a reason, they’re not superfluous. if any one of them goes in a power filter/regulator then it’ll drop out out the sky pretty quickly. You might be thinking of de-coupling capacitors (which can be ceraminc), in which case yes it might not have a fatal flaw but your control quality will become seriously impacted on sharp turns.

@ReaM:

There will be almost no spill of electrolyte

This isn’t the concern here, if the battery goes then it’ll burn up pretty quickly but the concern would be fire, not chemicals.

• @Benjy:

Electrolytic capacitors have a higher capacitance per volume than the other shop-bought alternatives. If you’re wanting to regulate power between several different sub-circuits, (and with proper control of each rotor, you’ll need a high capacitance) you’ll need to make use of electrolytic capacitors. This becomes more important when you’re using a battery that is capable of sustained high load (like the hl2 drone above which is also a HUGE electrolytic), but even if you open up a mini-quadcopter you’re more than likely to find a surface mount electrolytic.

Why would you need a high capacitance bypass capacitor? Neither, you have to store big amounts of energy, nor utilize rectification. Furthermore, step-down 12V to 5V(or anything acceptable for ICs) doesn’t require electrolytic either.

@Benjy:

Capacitors are used in circuits for a reason, they’re not superfluous. if any one of them goes in a power filter/regulator then it’ll drop out out the sky pretty quickly. You might be thinking of de-coupling capacitors (which can be ceraminc), in which case yes it might not have a fatal flaw but your control quality will become seriously impacted on sharp turns.

When either ceramic or electrolytic capacitor explode(tantalum are a different story), they become an open circuit, which is exactly what they are in a first place(for DC). When that happens, ICs will start having errors in calculations, making copter harder to control, as you said. In addition, both of these capacitors are very reliable and can tolerate high voltage spikes.

@Benjy:

This isn’t the concern here, if the battery goes then it’ll burn up pretty quickly but the concern would be fire, not chemicals.

If lipo battery breaks, it creates a huge fire indeed, however they tend to do that in bad circuits, while charging, or discharging rapidly. Latter doesn’t occur during flight(I am talking about 15A or higher discharge current).
    So, I would say, copters are as safe as laptops… electrically, but require piloting skills.

• Game Admins

@ReaM:

Why would you need a high capacitance bypass capacitor?

What? Yes you can use ceramics for decoupling, reducing circuit noise, filtering etc for ICs, you don’t want to use electrolytics for these… Instead they’re used for supply. Batteries aren’t always capable of supplying the current required by the motors (you’d be surprised how much) you put a large electrolytic between source and ground to help at these short periods; not using electrolytic where you should is the primary cause of:
    @ReaM:

bad circuits

When I was an undergraduate three years ago I made an autonomous omni-directional robot for a company capable of path-finding, detecting other robots and realizing which terrain it was moving on. Cut a long story short, two scorched robots later, We realized that the extra resistance on the three motors at times were trying to draw too much current, and it would just drop out and roll down hill. (it also fried some ICs but they were for USB connectivity). The only addition to robot #3 was the use of large electrolytics instead of the ceramics I had previously been trying to use. The robot still works to this day and we all lived happily ever after.

Quadcopters are a big topic with students in my department, but the issues with them and the damage they cause is a much bigger topic with my colleges, researchers, and other staff.

• @Benjy:

What? Yes you can use ceramics for decoupling, reducing circuit noise, filtering etc for ICs, you don’t want to use electrolytics for these… Instead they’re used for supply. Batteries aren’t always capable of supplying the current required by the motors (you’d be surprised how much) you put a large electrolytic between source and ground to help at these short periods; not using electrolytic where you should is the primary cause of:

When I was an undergraduate three years ago I made an autonomous omni-directional robot for a company capable of path-finding, detecting other robots and realizing which terrain it was moving on. Cut a long story short, two scorched robots later, We realized that the extra resistance on the three motors at times were trying to draw too much current, and it would just drop out and roll down hill. (it also fried some ICs but they were for USB connectivity). The only addition to robot #3 was the use of large electrolytics instead of the ceramics I had previously been trying to use. The robot still works to this day and we all lived happily ever after.

Quadcopters are a big topic with students in my department, but the issues with them and the damage they cause is a much bigger topic with my colleges, researchers, and other staff.

Bypass capacitor is a “supply” capacitor in a circuit, but instead of helping motors, it helps ICs, mitigating voltage dips caused by motors. Capacitors across dc motors are used to remove noise from inductor. In addition, lithium polymer batteries can deliver very high currents(you can even start a car with one). Using other kind of batteries is pointless due to low energy density.

• Game Admins

@ReaM:

lithium polymer batteries can deliver very high currents(you can even start a car with one).

Bad news, you use electrolytics instead of ceramics in cars too.

• @Benjy:

Bad news, you use electrolytics instead of ceramics in cars too.

We are talking about one specific appliance right now, I just gave an example how powerful lipo is.

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.