My update queue

• Gonna put stuff I plan on doing here. You can discuss the proposed changes, try to talk me out of them, improve them, etc. This is stuff I plan on coding myself rather than having nightmare have to do it. Decided to do this instead of making my own idea threads.

Includes the karma/criminal system outlined here: http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=20333.0

[header]Health[/header]

• Split the health bar in to 4 equal parts/tiers.

• Remove natural health regeneration.
      • Medical items can restore health past the current HP tier.
      • Food, resting, and other such things can restore health up to the current HP tier but not above it.
      • Add ability to rest. Can rest on the floor, but beds or something like that would be faster. Have a few second timer before HP regen begins to stop “combat resting”. Resting restores HP up to the current tier and resting in a bed restores it past the 25% mark (so always up to 50%).
      • There has always planned to be a severe penalty to death, so players will be incapacitated instead of outright dying, unless they take a large amount of damage from falling, crushing, explosions, etc. This puts you on the ground and only allows you to talk, but not use anything. Other players can help you by holding use on you for a couple seconds and staying still. You will then be picked back up with a minimal amount of HP and 0 stamina. Alternatively, receiving say, 100 more damage or being on the ground for 60 seconds will kill you. You can also hold a button to tap out and die.

[header]Combat[/header]

• Swinging weapons now drains stamina. Can swing a weapon as long as you have ANY stamina but swinging without the “full requirement” results in a weaker hit and delayed regen (“negative” stamina).
      • Move over the melee animations from noxiousrpg, or make/use some new ones. Hits come at a slight delay that allows people to react to them.
      • Ability to dodge at a certain level of dexterity. Higher dexterity allows better dodges. Maybe armor reduces it. Costs stamina. Possibly grants invulnerability frames to melee/bullets.

[header]Movement[/header]

• Players are slower unless sprinting. Think slow enough so that the dodge mechanic comes in to play.
      • Sprinting takes a little bit to ramp up to full speed but drains stamina still.
      • Sprinting plays special running animation.
      • Attacking takes you out of sprinting.
      • Jumping now takes stamina.
      • Do something about bunny hopping.

[header]Stamina[/header]

• No regenerating when in the air.
      • Regenerates faster than right now and regen speed increases with dexterity. Can also regen faster with some kind of items.

[header]Actual death penalty[/header]

Dying now makes you drop your belongings in a pvp enabled zone for other people to take. If you somehow die in a pvp disabled zone then you don’t drop anything. Loot piles / graves have the karma of the person who died. So looting an innocent player will mark you criminal and incur a karma loss for every item taken.

When you respawn, you revive in a hospital bed at 25% HP. If you have bad karma, you respawn in a dumpster in some alley. Also, you hear a garbage truck come pick you up as your death animation is happening.

[header]Prevent people disconnecting to avoid combat[/header]

If you disconnect in a combat enabled zone, it will now leave a dummy bot behind with your account info for 60 seconds. Anything that happens to the bot happens to your real account. Reconnecting kicks the bot just before you spawn.

[header]Bullet weapon changes[/header]

Right now bullets are physical, but they move at a rate that makes you wonder why they should be. This was always a problem in AS:S. It became an over-complication rather than a feature, especially if you had even a slightly high ping. I propose to make bullets slower, but bigger, and more accurate.

• Bullet weapons now cost a little bit of stamina to fire them and possibly reduce your speed while firing them. So like melee weapons you have to commit to attacking with them.
      • Bullets move slow enough so that you can move out of the way if you’re more than a rooms length away.
      • Bullets are bigger and easier to notice. Perhaps make them in to energy pellets or something like that to explain why there’s Matrix bullets.
      • Reduce spread on weapons.
      • Remove experimental prediction from them (actually not sure if it’s enabled).

[header]QOL[/header]

• No longer have to equip weapons through menu. All weapons are “equipped” at all times.
      • Ammo boxes changed to stacks of individual bullets. If you craft a box of ammo, the result is a stack of bullets.
      • When you reload your weapon, internal variable is set that tells the weapon it’s loaded. Pulls from your stack of bullets when you shoot.
      • Hold down C for clicker mode instead of toggling it.
      • Third person mode on a key, pretty much just like ZS.
      • Banker is now global. Each player has their own internal bank container rather than every banker holding them. So banking is global and secure.

[header]Internal (boring) stuff[/header]

• JSON is probably not the best way to save/load. Convert to serialize library.
      • Write/ReadTable are used way too much.
      • Stamina system redo (noxiousrpg backend).
      • Health regen and breath backend redo.
      • Give the whole project a good linting.

• Gonna put stuff I plan on doing here. You can discuss the proposed changes, try to talk me out of them, improve them, etc. This is stuff I plan on coding myself rather than having nightmare have to do it. Decided to do this instead of making my own idea threads.

Includes the karma/criminal system outlined here: http://www.noxiousnet.com/forums/index.php?topic=20333.0

[header]Health[/header]

• Split the health bar in to 4 equal parts/tiers.

• Remove natural health regeneration.
      • Medical items can restore health past the current HP tier.
      • Food, resting, and other such things can restore health up to the current HP tier but not above it.
      • Add ability to rest. Can rest on the floor, but beds or something like that would be faster. Have a few second timer before HP regen begins to stop “combat resting”. Resting restores HP up to the current tier and resting in a bed restores it past the 25% mark (so always up to 50%).
      • There has always planned to be a severe penalty to death, so players will be incapacitated instead of outright dying, unless they take a large amount of damage from falling, crushing, explosions, etc. This puts you on the ground and only allows you to talk, but not use anything. Other players can help you by holding use on you for a couple seconds and staying still. You will then be picked back up with a minimal amount of HP and 0 stamina. Alternatively, receiving say, 100 more damage or being on the ground for 60 seconds will kill you. You can also hold a button to tap out and die.

[header]Combat[/header]

• Swinging weapons now drains stamina. Can swing a weapon as long as you have ANY stamina but swinging without the “full requirement” results in a weaker hit and delayed regen (“negative” stamina).
      • Move over the melee animations from noxiousrpg, or make/use some new ones. Hits come at a slight delay that allows people to react to them.
      • Ability to dodge at a certain level of dexterity. Higher dexterity allows better dodges. Maybe armor reduces it. Costs stamina. Possibly grants invulnerability frames to melee/bullets.

[header]Movement[/header]

• Players are slower unless sprinting. Think slow enough so that the dodge mechanic comes in to play.
      • Sprinting takes a little bit to ramp up to full speed but drains stamina still.
      • Sprinting plays special running animation.
      • Attacking takes you out of sprinting.
      • Jumping now takes stamina.
      • Do something about bunny hopping.

[header]Stamina[/header]

• No regenerating when in the air.
      • Regenerates faster than right now and regen speed increases with dexterity. Can also regen faster with some kind of items.

[header]Actual death penalty[/header]

Dying now makes you drop your belongings in a pvp enabled zone for other people to take. If you somehow die in a pvp disabled zone then you don’t drop anything. Loot piles / graves have the karma of the person who died. So looting an innocent player will mark you criminal and incur a karma loss for every item taken.

When you respawn, you revive in a hospital bed at 25% HP. If you have bad karma, you respawn in a dumpster in some alley. Also, you hear a garbage truck come pick you up as your death animation is happening.

[header]Prevent people disconnecting to avoid combat[/header]

If you disconnect in a combat enabled zone, it will now leave a dummy bot behind with your account info for 60 seconds. Anything that happens to the bot happens to your real account. Reconnecting kicks the bot just before you spawn.

[header]Bullet weapon changes[/header]

Right now bullets are physical, but they move at a rate that makes you wonder why they should be. This was always a problem in AS:S. It became an over-complication rather than a feature, especially if you had even a slightly high ping. I propose to make bullets slower, but bigger, and more accurate.

• Bullet weapons now cost a little bit of stamina to fire them and possibly reduce your speed while firing them. So like melee weapons you have to commit to attacking with them.
      • Bullets move slow enough so that you can move out of the way if you’re more than a rooms length away.
      • Bullets are bigger and easier to notice. Perhaps make them in to energy pellets or something like that to explain why there’s Matrix bullets.
      • Reduce spread on weapons.
      • Remove experimental prediction from them (actually not sure if it’s enabled).

[header]QOL[/header]

• No longer have to equip weapons through menu. All weapons are “equipped” at all times.
      • Ammo boxes changed to stacks of individual bullets. If you craft a box of ammo, the result is a stack of bullets.
      • When you reload your weapon, internal variable is set that tells the weapon it’s loaded. Pulls from your stack of bullets when you shoot.
      • Hold down C for clicker mode instead of toggling it.
      • Third person mode on a key, pretty much just like ZS.
      • Banker is now global. Each player has their own internal bank container rather than every banker holding them. So banking is global and secure.

[header]Internal (boring) stuff[/header]

• JSON is probably not the best way to save/load. Convert to serialize library.
      • Write/ReadTable are used way too much.
      • Stamina system redo (noxiousrpg backend).
      • Health regen and breath backend redo.
      • Give the whole project a good linting.

• I’m in the progress of redoing the entire item and container system. Currently it’s a mish-mash of the old noxrp, rpg, and nightmare’s own stuff. The RPG item system was pretty much flawless, so I’m bringing that over, including the drag+drop items / bags. This should fix all the current bugs with it in the mean time. There will be a required wipe when it’s done.

Progress is maybe half done. I wouldn’t expect any live updates for a bit.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.