[UPDATE] zs_monastery

• This re-release of zm_monastery addresses the issue regarding the lack of props that the old version had, as well as adds a few bells and whistles to give the map more charm.

[header]Changelog[/header]

• Added plenty of nailable (prop_physics_multiplayer) props around the map

• Modified and rearranged the existing CS:S spawns into proper human and zombie spawns

• Opened up several windows to allow more access for zombies to enter buildings

• Pre-coded in several sigil locations (subject to change)

• Added thematic props (i.e. tombstones, bells, rubble) for a more ZS-like atmosphere

• Utilized a new dark-sky skybox since the old one could not be retained through decompiling and the new one fits the atmosphere more

• Added a few tool and wave-0 weapon pickups, which may or may not need puzzle-solving to access

[header]Download[/header]
    Current map (v0)
    Revised map (v1)

The BSP was compiled using fast settings. However if a full compile is needed, I would be happy to do it unless someone else wants to take a crack at it. I have also included the VMF for this purpose and for other inspection purposes. I recompiled it using the HDR full compile -final setting, but I still included the VMF if people want to take a look into it for critiquing.

If you guys find troubling aspects of the map (i.e. missing textures and models, questionable gameplay elements, general look of the map), feel free to reply or PM me and I will have them resolved as soon as I can.

• This re-release of zm_monastery addresses the issue regarding the lack of props that the old version had, as well as adds a few bells and whistles to give the map more charm.

[header]Changelog[/header]

• Added plenty of nailable (prop_physics_multiplayer) props around the map

• Modified and rearranged the existing CS:S spawns into proper human and zombie spawns

• Opened up several windows to allow more access for zombies to enter buildings

• Pre-coded in several sigil locations (subject to change)

• Added thematic props (i.e. tombstones, bells, rubble) for a more ZS-like atmosphere

• Utilized a new dark-sky skybox since the old one could not be retained through decompiling and the new one fits the atmosphere more

• Added a few tool and wave-0 weapon pickups, which may or may not need puzzle-solving to access

[header]Download[/header]
    Current map (v0)
    Revised map (v1)

The BSP was compiled using fast settings. However if a full compile is needed, I would be happy to do it unless someone else wants to take a crack at it. I have also included the VMF for this purpose and for other inspection purposes. I recompiled it using the HDR full compile -final setting, but I still included the VMF if people want to take a look into it for critiquing.

If you guys find troubling aspects of the map (i.e. missing textures and models, questionable gameplay elements, general look of the map), feel free to reply or PM me and I will have them resolved as soon as I can.

• Why would you compile on fast ever.

• ]
    Where is Gorm when you need him?

• How do I get the boomstick?

• Never compile on fast.

• @The:

Why would you compile on fast ever.

@Benjy:

Never compile on fast.

Doing full and HDR compile settings on this rig seems to stall the Hammer application even beyond 30 minutes, while having fast settings ends up being exponentially faster (< 2 minutes). I can try to leave the application compiling for > 1 hour, although I wanted to be sure that fast compile was definitely a bad idea before doing that.

• If its taking more than 10 minutes to compile, there’s likely something wrong with the design. Fast compile is significantly worse than a normal compile, and introduces it’s own problems. It’s that much faster because it’s skipping corners.

If you can’t figure it out I can take a look at the vmf when I next have time to do so.

• @Benjy:

Fast compile is significantly worse than a normal compile, and introduces it’s own problems. It’s that much faster because it’s skipping corners.

It’s skipping cluster visibility check in vvis, only testing for leaks. So you will be rendering everything.
    While vrad gives you garbage lightning. But it’s always vvis taking hours on unoptimized maps anyway.

Tip: When you hide everything except world geometry, your map should look like a map from doom 1. Yet that doesn’t explicitly mean that you made it right.

• I got a recompile done using “HDR full compile -final” in the advanced options. (The process took roughly 10 minutes, which is strange since I haven’t modified the contents since yesterday when it took much longer. I think there might have been a processor-intensive program in the background, or Hammer has a mind of its own, or something.) The OP and download link have been updated as a result.

• Got additional feedback about the map in regards to clip brushes, maintaining consistency of prop types for particular models, zombie gas placement, texture misalignment and gaps, etc. Accordingly, I have updated the .bsp (fully compiled) and .vmf in the Dropbox link. As always, feel free to look over and offer suggestions for improvement.

• I’ve added it and will monitor for feedback, but the compile log seems incomplete for what you should have. This might just be me expecting something verbose.

There are a couple of issues with optimisation which would be nice to sort out, since performance is very jittery.

• [header]Fix Changelog (v1)[/header]

• Fixed lighting issues making the map seem very bright and very dark simultaneously (adjusting brightness and ambience of light_env, getting rid of env_sun, etc.)

• Reduced zombie gas count and increased gas radius to cut down on particle effects for optimization

• Implemented fade in / fade out distances on areawindowportals and props for optimization

• Utilized hint brushes to control visleaf generation for optimization (although it didn’t improve fps much)

• Added player clips to stairs so headcrabs can travel the map easier

• Did some minor tweaks on texture work

I added a link for the updated map in addition to the current map link for ease of comparison. Overall, I made sure performance was less jittery and that the typical FPS was at least 100 on my client with graphical settings set to high.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.