Anyone getting a Vive or Rift?

• Anyone pre-order a consumer VR headset who hasn’t tried one already? Or is anyone not getting one who has tried a consumer headset? Dev-kits / cardboard are not comparable to the final products.

• Anyone pre-order a consumer VR headset who hasn’t tried one already? Or is anyone not getting one who has tried a consumer headset? Dev-kits / cardboard are not comparable to the final products.

• I want to get vive after googlecardboard(that felt great for such cheap thing), but I am pretty sure that 970m can’t run that  :cry:

• You should run the Source 2 SteamVr benchmark on Steam just to see. I doubt it would run any Unity games, but Source 2 is looking to be very modular.  It is better to wait and see when it gets announced for open development though.

• We have 2 vive headsets in the office right now. One Vive Pre (consumer headset for developers) and one old developer headset.

Any VR headset other than the vive is borderline nullable simply due to the tracking tech that the vive uses.
    Unless Oculus does a 360 and changes the tracking tech you’re not going to have sub millimeter precision like the vive has.

@ReaM:

I want to get vive after googlecardboard(that felt great for such cheap thing), but I am pretty sure that 970m can’t run that  :cry:

970 runs fine. It is what our vive computer uses.

@Koolala:

You should run the Source 2 SteamVr benchmark on Steam just to see. I doubt it would run any Unity games, but Source 2 is looking to be very modular.  It is better to wait and see when it gets announced for open development though.

SteamVR uses OpenVR which is out there right now. You can download Unity and get a quick demo up and running in no time. Also it is 2016 and not 2009 when Unity ran like shit by default. It’s fine.

If any of you have a vive headset and you’re curious about developing for it using Unity I have a “Game Jam Package” with useful tools I got from chet faliszek when he visited us.

And to answer the initial question. All the people who have tried a vive at our office wants to get one. I would go for a vive over oculus.

• Me and a friend decided to get a rift and a vive.

Got a Gear VR for free after buying an S7. yay

@AtomiC:

If any of you have a vive headset and you’re curious about developing for it using Unity I have a “Game Jam Package” with useful tools I got from chet faliszek when he visited us.

please

also does anyone know how prominent the screendoor effect is on the vive against cv1

• @AtomiC:

970 runs fine. It is what our vive computer uses.

Yea, but I have 970m.
    This is my rig right now:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YPjxfG3zs

• I cancelled my oculus preorder and went with the vive. I’m expecting early April shipping.

I also tried a gearVR but the demonstration did everything wrong. Compared to the GearVR, how is the Vive? Is it lightyears ahead?

• Welcome to Sword Art Online  !

• ReaM, post the results of the SteamVR Benchmark and lets see what you got. I sent you a PM AtomiC, I also have a Vive Pre and it blows everyones mind.

• VRtest keeps using integrated graphics card, which blows. I tried forcing it to utilize only nvidiaGPU, but there is some kind of issue. Waiting for fix.

• @ReaM:

VRtest keeps using integrated graphics card, which blows. I tried forcing it to utilize only nvidiaGPU, but there is some kind of issue. Waiting for fix.

Oh. Laptops won’t work. I didn’t notice the “m” when I first read your post.
    There might be a “hack” out there somewhere but in general laptops are shit for VR.

I’ve had the same issues with the DK2 on my laptop.

Also scroll down the page to the “Tai Chi Trip” video. It’s a game we made for Global Game Jam 2016.
    http://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/02/24/what-we-did-at-global-game-jam-2016/

@Humin:

I cancelled my oculus preorder and went with the vive. I’m expecting early April shipping.

I also tried a gearVR but the demonstration did everything wrong. Compared to the GearVR, how is the Vive? Is it lightyears ahead?

It’s like comparing a bike to a car.
    GearVR is a shittier Oculus DK2 without head tracking.

• Just let me gather my life savings and I’ll get back to you

• it’s just 1.2k

• Compared to Oculus’s “only 1.5k”.

What a deal!

• Can’t argue with that. I bet the price will go down once they know they’ll be able to cover the development and production costs.

• Any (great) new technology will be initially priced highly for enthusiasts, they will pay the costs of R&D and companies will always try to race to the bottom once the technology is in place, there’s no reason to complain about the price of VR now

See: Smartphones, (Decent) Electric Cars, Tablet computers

• So I used the first wide release version of the oculus rift (probably the dk1), which is probably nowhere near comparable to the latest version or vive. Can you look around clearly with your eyes with these devices or do they still burr out towards the edges?

• They’ve fixed the optics using a fresnel lens as far as I know in the CV1, it also nullifies chromatic aberration from the extreme angles

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.