Shitcading and how to stop it

• The recent influx of new players has resulted in the downfall of general cade quality.

Every round, about 6-10 players decide to take a Carpenter’s Hammer; only 2 of which likely know what they’re doing. Kleiners with hammers are running rampant, nailing every prop in the worst possible ways, un-nailing effective cades, and ultimately causing the survivors to lose the match. Experienced caders, like myself, can’t even fix these goddamn shitcades because of the damaging, nail-removal penalty. I surely understand the reason for the penalty, to stop griefers, but it’s hurting those with good intentions as well. Having 4+ nails in a prop, as you can imagine, makes it a whole lot harder. And asking the shitcader to un-nail their props is a hassle and works less than half of the time. I’ve always enjoyed helping my team win by making barricades. However, it just seems like an impossible task now.

I think the Carpenter’s Hammer is too powerful to be in the hands of a new player because it has too much of a great effect on the game as a whole. Something should be done soon or else every doorway on every map will look like the image attached. Here are some possible solutions to the problem at hand:

• Carpenter’s Hammer Has a Level Requirement - I don’t have high hopes for this one. If no regulars are on (which is very unlikely) and the Kleiners need to cade, they’re going to need a hammer.

• Remove the Un-nailing Penalty from Specific Players - Grant immunity to nail-removal damage to specific, experienced players. This way, people that know what they’re doing don’t have to nearly die by fixing the cade for everyone. If this becomes a possibility, I would not give out this immunity so easily.

• Heavily Discourage New Players from Taking Hammers - Put warning messages when selecting if you want to start with a Carpenter’s Hammer using worth. When attempting to buy one it could look like “Are you sure?”, “Do you know what you’re doing?”, etc…

• Admins Always Have a Hammer - I don’t think the admins would like this one tbh. I doubt they want to be the ones catering to my every “this needs to be unnailed”.

• Effectively Train the Kleiners - Greatly advertise cading guides in-game. Maybe even have a separate server dedicated to training caders so that they can get used to handling props and nailing them. The server could be just a sandbox mode but with props laying around and everyone spawns in with a hammer.

Personally, I think granting certain players immunity to the nail-removal penalty is the best option. That way those complaining about this same issue are out of your hair and they can fix the problem themselves. I can imagine those who have it can even show the Kleiners how to cade. “No don’t do that. Let me show you a better way.”

Any other suggestions to solve this problem would be great. If you’ve got one, say so.

• The recent influx of new players has resulted in the downfall of general cade quality.

Every round, about 6-10 players decide to take a Carpenter’s Hammer; only 2 of which likely know what they’re doing. Kleiners with hammers are running rampant, nailing every prop in the worst possible ways, un-nailing effective cades, and ultimately causing the survivors to lose the match. Experienced caders, like myself, can’t even fix these goddamn shitcades because of the damaging, nail-removal penalty. I surely understand the reason for the penalty, to stop griefers, but it’s hurting those with good intentions as well. Having 4+ nails in a prop, as you can imagine, makes it a whole lot harder. And asking the shitcader to un-nail their props is a hassle and works less than half of the time. I’ve always enjoyed helping my team win by making barricades. However, it just seems like an impossible task now.

I think the Carpenter’s Hammer is too powerful to be in the hands of a new player because it has too much of a great effect on the game as a whole. Something should be done soon or else every doorway on every map will look like the image attached. Here are some possible solutions to the problem at hand:

• Carpenter’s Hammer Has a Level Requirement - I don’t have high hopes for this one. If no regulars are on (which is very unlikely) and the Kleiners need to cade, they’re going to need a hammer.

• Remove the Un-nailing Penalty from Specific Players - Grant immunity to nail-removal damage to specific, experienced players. This way, people that know what they’re doing don’t have to nearly die by fixing the cade for everyone. If this becomes a possibility, I would not give out this immunity so easily.

• Heavily Discourage New Players from Taking Hammers - Put warning messages when selecting if you want to start with a Carpenter’s Hammer using worth. When attempting to buy one it could look like “Are you sure?”, “Do you know what you’re doing?”, etc…

• Admins Always Have a Hammer - I don’t think the admins would like this one tbh. I doubt they want to be the ones catering to my every “this needs to be unnailed”.

• Effectively Train the Kleiners - Greatly advertise cading guides in-game. Maybe even have a separate server dedicated to training caders so that they can get used to handling props and nailing them. The server could be just a sandbox mode but with props laying around and everyone spawns in with a hammer.

Personally, I think granting certain players immunity to the nail-removal penalty is the best option. That way those complaining about this same issue are out of your hair and they can fix the problem themselves. I can imagine those who have it can even show the Kleiners how to cade. “No don’t do that. Let me show you a better way.”

Any other suggestions to solve this problem would be great. If you’ve got one, say so.

• Banned

People learn by trying stuff out. Big deal.

• Banned

Throw yourself into a wood chipper

• At least we tried, comrade.

• Administrators

You’re asking for things that would cause more harm than good and things that also would not work on all servers. There already is a system like this. If a person is > a certain amount of points above another person then they’re allowed to remove their stuff without penalty.

• Of course I must clarify that I was not suggesting that we implement all listed features. Barricades are generally prepared before the waves begin. This means new players start cading at the same time as experienced players do where both parties have 0 points. To reap the benefits of having more points than the shitcaders, you have to kill zombies during wave 1 - With what weapon? You started with a hammer. - and come back to fix the damage done by the newer players. Often, this lost time trying to fix damage that shouldn’t have been done costs you the game.

• @JetBoom:

There already is a system like this. If a person is > a certain amount of points above another person then they’re allowed to remove their stuff without penalty.

That harms players who know how to build, but haven’t been shooting zombies. And it adds insult to injury when it says a bad barricader is “doing so much better than you.”

I’d like to see trusted barricaders earn a status which lets them unnail anything. Admins could give it out, or players can earn it through democratic means.
    You could work this into your proposed friend system. If a player is friended by a certain percentage of the current players, they get to unnail anything.

• Administrators

So a group of friends gets to unnail anything?

I personally think a valid solution might be thus:

• Add a skill to the web next to the one that gives you +25% hammer power.
    • Anyone who has this skill can unnail the stuff of anyone who doesn’t have it without penalty.
    • If both have it then there’s a penalty.
    • If you don’t have it but the other person does you can’t unnail at all.
    • Small icon next to nails that are owned by a player that has the skill.
    • Friends system overrides this.

You only need level 6 or so to get it but it will do everything people are looking for. A person just joining isn’t going to get to level 6 that easily. And they’re probably not going to go for that skill unless their specific intent is to grief. Once they get accustomed they’ll learn what the icon and skill means and by that time they’ll have a few games under their belt.

Of course this is all assuming that experienced players are implied good builders.

• Your solution sounds great, JetBoom. :biggrin:

• @neko-nyan:

…or players can earn it through democratic means.

Democracy will never work in an internet community like NoXiousNet.

@JetBoom:

• Add a skill to the web next to the one that gives you +25% hammer power.
    • Anyone who has this skill can unnail the stuff of anyone who doesn’t have it without penalty.
    • If both have it then there’s a penalty.
    • If you don’t have it but the other person does you can’t unnail at all.
    • Small icon next to nails that are owned by a player that has the skill.
    • Friends system overrides this.

I like this idea. However, if this becomes a thing, please be ready to punish those who wish to abuse the feature with malicious intent.

@JetBoom:

Of course this is all assuming that experienced players are implied good builders.

I’ll narrow it down to a select few good caders  :biggrin:

• carrie cameo

• Why would you want to stop the work of art that klieners create. Also it’s great fun for the zombies when they get through :D

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.