Optimization question

• If you compare this screenshot, with the sandbox version taken on the same map, you can see that EFT runs at half the FPS. No doubt that EFT is more expensive to render, but should it really be 2x as hard to run? Can the HUD and/or gamemode be optimized at all without sacrificing anything? I thought this was worth mentioning, since other maps, like Slam Dunk, have a difference of 160FPS between the gamemodes.

EDIT: Here is ZS for another comparison.

• If you compare this screenshot, with the sandbox version taken on the same map, you can see that EFT runs at half the FPS. No doubt that EFT is more expensive to render, but should it really be 2x as hard to run? Can the HUD and/or gamemode be optimized at all without sacrificing anything? I thought this was worth mentioning, since other maps, like Slam Dunk, have a difference of 160FPS between the gamemodes.

EDIT: Here is ZS for another comparison.

• If I remember correctly, that ‘map’ at the top right is actually a dynamic camera that’s flying high above the map to display the layout and make it easier to find the ball if for some reason you can’t see the ball indicators. On some maps it moves around, being attached to the ball instead of a point on the map.

Try using wire to make an RT camera in sandbox and see what happens to your FPS. If it doesn’t go down much then it’s not the map.

• It’s not. That map is rendered and captured once in to a static texture.

Looking at a profiler, surface.DrawCircle looks to be the prime culprit. I’m guessing it draws hundreds of individual pixels as boxes (lol) instead of a texture. Converted to a texture and all seems well in the world.

• I ran gmod_admin_cleanup on both the GitHub version of EFT and the pre-minimap version from the workshop, and took screenshots. Perhaps they can help further? The custom padding on the player models seems to be a (small) factor as well, are they really needed?

Pre-minimap update

Pre-minimap update, after running gmod_admin_cleanup

GitHub/server version

GitHub/server version, after running gmod_admin_cleanup

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.