For those of you with a Steam Controller, I made bindings for ZS.

• So I got my Steam Controller four days ago and spent some time making a set of bindings for the controller. It isn’t entirely perfect since it requires you to bind a few keys manually to do things, but other than that it seems to work well enough. You may not like the sensitivity settings I used or how I put the left mouse click on the left trigger/right mouse click on right trigger, but it was mostly because of the Fists.

Anyway, it should be publicly available in the game, but if not, the download link for it is here. I created the proper hierarchy for it (hopefully), so all you should have to do is drop it in your Steam folder, launch the game and it’ll be in your “Personal” category.

The things needed to be binding manually:

F9 is the Cosmetic Shop. Crudely the bind is “say /shop”.

F8 is your kill key, if you want one or you disabled the auto kill on class switch option.

Page UP is the Transparency Enabler/Disabler (which is “incrementvar zs_transparencyradius 0 512 512”), and B and - are extra binds if you wanted them for some reason.

Left Grip is the mode shift key that changes what the two ABXY controls are. Gyroscope is also enabled via Left Grip, which allows you to hold a prop in place (with the actual A button’s Left Shift bind via Left Grip), move around with the analog stick and move your camera by moving the controller around. I was able to make barricades with the controller so that’s something.

• So I got my Steam Controller four days ago and spent some time making a set of bindings for the controller. It isn’t entirely perfect since it requires you to bind a few keys manually to do things, but other than that it seems to work well enough. You may not like the sensitivity settings I used or how I put the left mouse click on the left trigger/right mouse click on right trigger, but it was mostly because of the Fists.

Anyway, it should be publicly available in the game, but if not, the download link for it is here. I created the proper hierarchy for it (hopefully), so all you should have to do is drop it in your Steam folder, launch the game and it’ll be in your “Personal” category.

The things needed to be binding manually:

F9 is the Cosmetic Shop. Crudely the bind is “say /shop”.

F8 is your kill key, if you want one or you disabled the auto kill on class switch option.

Page UP is the Transparency Enabler/Disabler (which is “incrementvar zs_transparencyradius 0 512 512”), and B and - are extra binds if you wanted them for some reason.

Left Grip is the mode shift key that changes what the two ABXY controls are. Gyroscope is also enabled via Left Grip, which allows you to hold a prop in place (with the actual A button’s Left Shift bind via Left Grip), move around with the analog stick and move your camera by moving the controller around. I was able to make barricades with the controller so that’s something.

• whats your opinion on the controller, good/bad worth it or not?

• The original reason for buying the controller was for emulation purposes, but I like the controller quite a bit. Some pro’s and con’s:

Pro’s:

1. The left/right trackpad, the analog stick, and the ABXY buttons can be any input. Choices are Directional pad, Button pad, Joystick Move, Joystick Camera, Mouse and Scroll Wheel. Even the ABXY buttons can be setup as a mouse or joystick.
    2. You can bind any key on your keyboard/mouse to the controller. Unfortunately you can’t specify what the button actually does, hence why some of these ZS binds needed manual entry via console to work.
    3. Mode Shift makes it so when you hold a particular button, an entirely new set of binds can be used. You can even change the input around, so a Directional Pad becomes a Mouse, etc

Con’s:

1. The trackpad can be awkward to use at first to move the camera around. This is probably just a sensitivity problem on my end, but when playing a FPS it’s hard to keep my crosshair on people since it moves around a bit. Since I have to use a somewhat slow sensitivity to counteract this, I have to swipe the trackpad a couple of times to do a 360 turn.
    2. A big problem with the controller is that you need to launch the game of choice in Steam Big Picture mode to actually be able to modify the control scheme. You can launch the game normally and the controller will remember what you set, but you won’t be able to change the controls around if you want to.
    3. The trackpads are very sensitive to inputs if you set them as directional pads or button pads. This again may be just a setting I overlooked but sometimes when pressing one side of the trackpad, the nearest side can be pressed instead. (Meaning, I press the right side of the left trackpad and it can sometimes pick up the bottom side of the trackpad due to where my finger was pressing)
    Edit: 4. The bad part about using text chat (which I’ve bound to a button on the controller) requires you to open the overlay and click “Open Keyboard” to actually type stuff. I don’t think there’s a way to bind the “Open Keyboard” function, but there is a way to bind two or more keys together in one button. That’s how I did the Crouch Jump bind on the analog stick.

Overall I like the controller. It’ll replace my Xbox 360 controller I’ve used for years. It’ll definitely take some getting used to, but the controller offers a lot for you to play around with.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.