Eft_castle_warfare_v2

• I basically remade Castle Warfare, and tried to make it much more than a generic ported Sandbox map. (download here) New/updated/fixed things include:

• Converted the map into a more medieval theme, with torches, flags, and cannons

• Made the castles more symmetrical with each other, widened the tunnel and gates for both (to prevent the camping/clogging that happened every game), redesigned the ball spawn bridge, and added a background skybox for both castles

• Redesigned goal areas, which now feature an extended throne room (triggers are on the throne)

• Redesigned spawn rooms, decorated with props and both sides are now used (previous version just used one side)

• Added stepping stones on both sides of the map, to allow for an optional way to cross the river without going over the bridge

• I basically remade Castle Warfare, and tried to make it much more than a generic ported Sandbox map. (download here) New/updated/fixed things include:

• Converted the map into a more medieval theme, with torches, flags, and cannons

• Made the castles more symmetrical with each other, widened the tunnel and gates for both (to prevent the camping/clogging that happened every game), redesigned the ball spawn bridge, and added a background skybox for both castles

• Redesigned goal areas, which now feature an extended throne room (triggers are on the throne)

• Redesigned spawn rooms, decorated with props and both sides are now used (previous version just used one side)

• Added stepping stones on both sides of the map, to allow for an optional way to cross the river without going over the bridge

• Added, I’m a little skeptical about making the only the area of the throne a capture point but we’ll see how it goes.

• When I was on earlier, gameplay was fine, and the community liked it (unlike a certain other recently updated map :wacko:). I have v3 ready for any exploits found though, as well as more optimization (less torches/env_fire).

• Few things i noticed and i think they need a review:

• First of all the whole map’s lighting is poor. More environmental lights would make a perfect fit.

• The fire stands not only give a poor lighting atmosphere but they also cause a great fps drop. Imagine that fps drop with the mass of gore and ram during a round start.

• At the inside of the bridge fence there are sticks for who knows reason that can interrupt the movement during a chase or so. Removing those extra sticks and leaving the fence with a motif of just the horizontal wooden sticks would allow more maneuvers and more capabilities of jukes.

• Perhaps lowring the bridge and expanding it’s width would be also a plus

• The under of the bridge is with loads of water, and very deep as well, giving the player a huge delay during knockdown there. I’d say reduce the depth and distance from one shore to another, so the land can be a little bit more flat to allow running to be more easy and not to give a difficulty over climbing

• Last but not least the thouchdown area lacks of inspiration. I hope you come up an idea to update this withing the next update

• @Donny:

Few things i noticed and i think they need a review:

• First of all the whole map’s lighting is poor. More environmental lights would make a perfect fit.

• The fire stands not only give a poor lighting atmosphere but they also cause a great fps drop. Imagine that fps drop with the mass of gore and ram during a round start.

• At the inside of the bridge fence there are sticks for who knows reason that can interrupt the movement during a chase or so. Removing those extra sticks and leaving the fence with a motif of just the horizontal wooden sticks would allow more maneuvers and more capabilities of jukes.

• Perhaps lowring the bridge and expanding it’s width would be also a plus

• The under of the bridge is with loads of water, and very deep as well, giving the player a huge delay during knockdown there. I’d say reduce the depth and distance from one shore to another, so the land can be a little bit more flat to allow running to be more easy and not to give a difficulty over climbing

• Last but not least the thouchdown area lacks of inspiration. I hope you come up an idea to update this withing the next update

You say the torches give off poor lighting, but want more environmental lights? Unless the map turns back into daytime (which I tried, didn’t look as good as it does at night), then what else could you add? Also, the touchdown areas can’t lack any more inspiration than the original map, or something like Chamber. If you have any ideas how to improve it, feel free though. Anyway, I made v3 which should run a bit better, among some other fixes (didn’t see this comment until I posted this, but some of your issues should be addressed, like the bridge) https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfnoz93gll3wydc/eft_castle_warfare_v3.bsp?dl=0

• Removed many torches/env_fire, making the map run slightly better

• Improved lighting in the spawn rooms

• Fixed minor texture details

• Cubemaps now work correctly (was a gmod bug that was fixed)

• Bridge railings were slightly adjusted, making players unable to run on the other side to avoid being tackled. Also, made it so it doesn’t stop progress if you run alongside it

• Player clips added to various places players shouldn’t have gotten too

• Added various minor things, such as some more props and a nightime soundscape

• V3 was never uploaded (didn’t see the link Benjy?), but that’s ok since I made V4 that fixes the performance issues. Here is what was fixed:

• Includes all fixes in V3 (never uploaded to server)

• Major performance boost (20fps boost standing at castle gates) by removing all outside torches and adding some area portals.

• Map is now daytime again (overcast), to make up for the lack of torches

• Various other small fixes that I’ve forgotten, but nothing major

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rilkvpy22rija6s/eft_castle_warfare_v4.bsp?dl=0

• @dissident93:

• Major performance boost (20fps boost standing at castle gates) by removing all outside torches and adding some area portals.

• @dissident93:

V3 was never uploaded (didn’t see the link Benjy?), but that’s ok since I made V4 that fixes the performance issues. Here is what was fixed:

I sent you a message about said issues when you released it. I’ll put this version on but the above can be done. Flag: no glow.

• @Stelker:

Wouldn’t it have been better to just disable their dynamic light appearance?

I tested with r_dynamiclighting 0/1
    There’s obviously still an improvement that can be made to this map to boost fps.

Would the flickering lights from the torches be considered dynamic?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the Genesis post. I didn’t think they’d be that much of a performance hog, but I’ll keep that in mind for any future updates. Or is it worth going back right now and making all lights static?

• @dissident93:

Or is it worth going back right now and making all lights static?

Well, it is a quick and easy fix to update, I’d say it’s worth it for more fps.
    I’d even say, that the night version didn’t have to be changed :/

• So the problem was the dynamic lighting/light appearances, not the env_fire all along? Hmm, well the night version needed more torches to balance out the darkness, and for lower end computers, that might not be worth it to return to the night, maybe in the next version though. For now, here is the version with no dynamic lights (hopefully). I also aligned the spawns, so red and blue sides should reach the ball at the same time. Before, red got there slightly early, obviously an advantage to any good player on the red side. Also reduced the lightmap number on the skybox brushes, reducing the overall file size by a couple of megabytes.

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qqy5jk1bnti4cx/eft_castle_warfare_v5.bsp?dl=0

• Mainly includes minor fixes, but this should be the final version, assuming a new exploit/bug isn’t found.

• Slightly more optimized

• Arrow decals pointing to the gate’s location from spawn (was requested)

• Playerclip ramp leading onto the thrones (was also requested)

• Edited the skybox by adding slight fog and background tree sprites. I also removed unseen/unneeded brushes from blue castle.

• Readjusted the white castle’s interior brushwork, so now it should be symmetrical from both sides.

• Other minor brush fixes

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltzlsyauvj0j3v7/eft_castle_warfare_v6.bsp?dl=0

• Added

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.