Is ZS too complicated now?

• When I started playing zs back in 3.0, I noticed that it had a rather large learning curve. From the high difficultly of making a profit from most weapons below 100 points to the skill needed to make a cade that would last all 6 rounds, zs was the opposite of an easy gamemode and I mostly kept myself a medic because there wasn’t a chance that you weren’t going to make any points. You had to learn how to use each weapon effectively, not just shoot it. You had to know what each wave had in store and how to effectively survive it. For the most part, this is all still true, but now you have sigils which made the simple goal of surviving now surviving and protecting the sigils. Not only that, but deciding which sigils are worth protecting. This also puts WAY too much emphasis on cading because now, you’re not just cading to protect yourselves, you’re also cading to protect the sigils and maybe you’re even cading multiple locations and if playing thousands of hours of zs has taught me anything, it’s that splitting up the human team complicates things up exponentially. This could be easily fixed by including only one sigil instead of three. This would actually make things simpler because it takes away the part of having to decide where to cade and most of the maps that existed in zs 3.0 could come back. Another problem that I think is just as bad is how much more necessary the damn resupply crates are. The resupplies were supposed to act as a bonus for shooters, a supporter for noob shooters, and as a necessity for only the medics. Halving the resupply time and more than doubling the amount of points needed to purchase ammunition made them a necessary nuisance and not a bonus.

This one’s probably a biggy, but it  also had a very negative side effect of making it difficult to seed. Before you could just get a shooter loadout and wait for the arsenal to spawn and pick that up and deploy it when you needed it, but now you have to also have a resupply crate and you have to worry about the zombies going for the sigils which are impossible to cade if there are only 2 people on the server.

I only had time to play zs 4.0 maybe twice before it completely died so I don’t know exactly how it plays, but the gametracker stats show how bad it is. It’s pretty much at the point rtp is, too large of a learning curve for anyone to really want to get into now and too not fun when there’s only a couple people on.

• When I started playing zs back in 3.0, I noticed that it had a rather large learning curve. From the high difficultly of making a profit from most weapons below 100 points to the skill needed to make a cade that would last all 6 rounds, zs was the opposite of an easy gamemode and I mostly kept myself a medic because there wasn’t a chance that you weren’t going to make any points. You had to learn how to use each weapon effectively, not just shoot it. You had to know what each wave had in store and how to effectively survive it. For the most part, this is all still true, but now you have sigils which made the simple goal of surviving now surviving and protecting the sigils. Not only that, but deciding which sigils are worth protecting. This also puts WAY too much emphasis on cading because now, you’re not just cading to protect yourselves, you’re also cading to protect the sigils and maybe you’re even cading multiple locations and if playing thousands of hours of zs has taught me anything, it’s that splitting up the human team complicates things up exponentially. This could be easily fixed by including only one sigil instead of three. This would actually make things simpler because it takes away the part of having to decide where to cade and most of the maps that existed in zs 3.0 could come back. Another problem that I think is just as bad is how much more necessary the damn resupply crates are. The resupplies were supposed to act as a bonus for shooters, a supporter for noob shooters, and as a necessity for only the medics. Halving the resupply time and more than doubling the amount of points needed to purchase ammunition made them a necessary nuisance and not a bonus.

This one’s probably a biggy, but it  also had a very negative side effect of making it difficult to seed. Before you could just get a shooter loadout and wait for the arsenal to spawn and pick that up and deploy it when you needed it, but now you have to also have a resupply crate and you have to worry about the zombies going for the sigils which are impossible to cade if there are only 2 people on the server.

I only had time to play zs 4.0 maybe twice before it completely died so I don’t know exactly how it plays, but the gametracker stats show how bad it is. It’s pretty much at the point rtp is, too large of a learning curve for anyone to really want to get into now and too not fun when there’s only a couple people on.

• @Humin:

a rather large learning curve

LMFAO

• @Humin:

Is ZS too complicated now?

@Humin:

It’s pretty much at the point rtp is, too large of a learning curve

How?

• Yeah ZS makes me angry every time I play it!

• @Klondike:

How?

Lack of proper visual feedback on what some spells do, the skill needed to even use the spell wheel, and the amount of information you need to know to properly combat other players. The thing about most gmod gamemodes is that if they need a lengthy guide, most people aren’t going to play them. I didn’t even know how to use mana crystals the first time I played or how to use the engineer class or whatever it’s called. I really could only use the warrior class because it was the only one straightforward enough to use for a first time player. Good simplicity is what makes most gamemodes thrive.
    and those tomes didn’t do a very good job showing what spell it was and what it did.
    You’ve gotta stop thinking like a pro and start thinking like a new player venturing out into new gamemodes who’s going to quickly go in, see what it’s all about, and leave, with the first time experience determining whether or not he’ll come back.

• join zs, get random gear, watch as a bunch of kids called “zs pros” yell at each other and make a fort.

Go into fort and shoot zombies.

2hard5me

• ZS isn’t too complicated nor does it have a large learning curve, otherwise it wouldn’t have enjoyed the success it has. It’s more of a easy to learn, hard to master kind of thing. As has been said you can pretty much boil it down to sit in cade and shoot zombies.

most of the maps that existed in zs 3.0 could come back.

But they are going to come back, they just weren’t manually noded.

necessary the damn resupply crates are.

Sure they’re important, but put them in the cade and they’ll die when the rest the of the humans die. It’s a nicer compromise between the old ammo regeneration system.

You’re being overly dramatic over the issues. You say you need to stop thinking like a pro yet your post is pretty much overtthinking it in the way a pro player would. ZS is difficult to win but it isn’t difficult to play at all.

• Alternatively it could just be the server switch made nox stop showing up on other peoples’ server browsers and I’m just being paranoid. It’s also that so many US servers suck.

• @Humin:

the skill needed to even use the spell wheel, and the amount of information you need to know to properly combat other players.

Is pointing and clicking so hard?

• Neither game is complicated

• yeah, it’s not hard to hold right click to throw the ball.

• For me, I think ZS hasn’t really changed much from the last update, but the fact that barricading is more difficult than the one before made the gamemode more complicated. The stats shouldn’t be mention in this topic because they’re all shit. No matter how long you play or survived in ZS, doesn’t determine how good you are. I don’t understand what you mean by “Large curving.”

• Humin, we should learn to adapt for this new ZS. There’s still more for ZS, but we gotta see what Jet’s next move is.

• Complicated is probably the wrong word. Maybe tedious?

• of course it’s tedious u sit in a room for 30 minutes and click zombies

• I’m going to start shitting on you guys if you keep “laid back” game designing.
    ZS needs changing. Every game needs iteration because people change and the original concept isn’t really that good to begin with.
    What JetBoom is doing is daring to innovate. It’s a good thing.

@Klondike:

Is pointing and clicking so hard?

I’m going to fuck you up so hard until you can’t even spell stpuid

• No but the sigils aren’t doing what I wanted. In addition to the skills system replacing traits/debuffs (a large content update in itself), I was thinking of doing these:

• Sigils corrupt instead of get destroyed. You can get rid of the corruption by standing near them, repairing them, or something like that.

• Classes no longer unlock from sigil destruction.
      • Humans can freely teleport between all sigils that aren’t corrupted.
      • Having all sigils corrupted will give a big damage resistance (each sigil destroyed would be like +5% but if all are down it’s +40% or so) to the zombies instead of a guaranteed loss via super zombies spawning.

I think doing this would make the sigils an addon to the gameplay rather than forceful detriments to cading in the same spot every round. Which you could do, just it would act as a balancing mechanism against overpowered spots.

• But then you would have everyone camping the one sigil in the best cading spot because zombies would at best get +15% damage resistance until the sigil dies.

My sigils would work something like this:

• Each sigil can get hurt by any zombie source of damage, including poison or thrown props.

• Instead of regenerating health when not hit in an amount of time, sigils would regenerate based on how far away other zombies are. (i.e. if a zombie is X units away, heal slowly)

• When a sigil is spawned, roll a d6. Destroying that sigil would: Add zombie resistance, unlock a zombie class(with heavy bias towards early classes so you don’t have poison classes on wave 1), lower human accuracy by some small amount, lower prop HP repaired per hit, raise supply crate costs, or add a small amount to base zombie HP. Humans would see what each sigil would do if destroyed.

• Humans could drop spare weapons next to sigils to instantly repair a small amount of HP. The range on this would have to be tiny, maybe 50 units from the sigil itself.

• If a zombie hasn’t touched a sigil for a full minute (or possibly even longer), humans could get a tiny speed buff for a small amount of time by interacting with the sigil. There would be a cooldown on this speed buff to prevent people taking all three speed buffs and being hard or impossible for fast zombies to catch.

• lolwat

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.