[RELEASE] eft_cosmic_arena

• Introducing Cosmic Arena, a fast paced arena styled map that plays like a mix of Bloodbowl and Miniput, with the theme of something similar to Space Jump. Scoring is similar to Bloodbowl, in which a player must run in the other team’s “end zone”. Map primarily made by Xeon897, with suggestions and changes by me.

Features:

• Ice Ball power up (first time in EFT)

• Speed Ball power ups (last 2 seconds each, as they are meant to be chained together)

• Ball spawn similar to Temple Sacrifice, but having two levels in which the ball can be recovered

• Cheesy space synth music

Potential features in a later update:

• A ring that doesn’t spin, but goes from left to right, and would be worth 2 points. The only way you’d be able to get this though, would be to stop right at the goal line and make a full powered throw. (which could miss, so it’s wouldn’t be a 100% success rate) The risk in doing this might not be worth it, so having a 2 point goal is something that would be situational and not abused, assuming we can implement it correctly.

• *Added in v1.

• Introducing Cosmic Arena, a fast paced arena styled map that plays like a mix of Bloodbowl and Miniput, with the theme of something similar to Space Jump. Scoring is similar to Bloodbowl, in which a player must run in the other team’s “end zone”. Map primarily made by Xeon897, with suggestions and changes by me.

Features:

• Ice Ball power up (first time in EFT)

• Speed Ball power ups (last 2 seconds each, as they are meant to be chained together)

• Ball spawn similar to Temple Sacrifice, but having two levels in which the ball can be recovered

• Cheesy space synth music

Potential features in a later update:

• A ring that doesn’t spin, but goes from left to right, and would be worth 2 points. The only way you’d be able to get this though, would be to stop right at the goal line and make a full powered throw. (which could miss, so it’s wouldn’t be a 100% success rate) The risk in doing this might not be worth it, so having a 2 point goal is something that would be situational and not abused, assuming we can implement it correctly.

• *Added in v1.

• Outstanding concept, dissident. Finally something new to be added to the gamemode using the ice-ball and 2 point shot. Also, great way of nerfing the 2 point shot. Again, great job once again.

• @Alan:

Outstanding concept, dissident.

Yeah, good job dissident  ;)

• Added.

• Problem I had found whilst playing:
    When the ball spawns it is hit high enough to go above a players head, thus leading to the ball falling back into the spawnpoint where the players must wait for the ball to respawn. Happens about 30% of the time and can be quite a bother.

• @Alan:

Problem I had found whilst playing:
    When the ball spawns it is hit high enough to go above a players head, thus leading to the ball falling back into the spawnpoint where the players must wait for the ball to respawn. Happens about 30% of the time and can be quite a bother.

• @Alan:

Problem I had found whilst playing:

And with over an hour+ of testing this, this didn’t happen at all. I can try to rework it a bit, and add a fallback ball reset trigger if it gets stuck again as it seems to be fine once the ball is reset.

For anybody who says the map is too easy, it’s suppose to be a fast-paced, quickstrike, 6-6 arena type of map. It’s no different than Space Jump if you look at how many goals are scored every time it’s played.

EDIT: I’ve added the 2 point ring (still needs testing under a real game environment though), and made the map slightly larger and removed the speed ball triggers. The ball spawn bug should be fixed as well. I’ll upload the BSP tomorrow.

• fix the ball getting stuck below the ball spawn area, extend the distance between ball spawn and touchdown areas, and increase slightly the speedball duration and distance between speedball powerups.

• @Donny:

fix the ball getting stuck below the ball spawn area

This should hopefully be fixed, but similar to env_fire now, they are fine locally but on the NoX server they behave weirdly or broken.

@Donny:

extend the distance between ball spawn and touchdown areas

v1 was made 1.5 times larger, and is roughly now the size of Handegg.

@Donny:

increase slightly the speedball duration

The ones closest to the ice rink are now 3 seconds, which fits with the map’s slightly larger size.

@Donny:

distance between speedball powerups.

I think they are fine enough as it is, a quick pass from the one closest to the endzone will end up in the endzone.

eft_cosmic_arena_v1 here.

• Great, can’t wait to play the v1.

• the reason i asked for extended distance between ball spawn and touchdown area is because, when you get knocked out and see that there is no hope, you eventually suicide so you can save the ball from the front (climbing down from spawn and going towards the pad) but all that takes more time than the ball carrier needs to score, and you eventually lose since you can’t defend properly. either shorter spawn areas (from player spawn to jump pad) or longer walkway from the ballspawn to the td area would make the map just perfect. also i would love it if you could show me some activities of the iceball in-game. ty

• Workaround fix (v1r2) has been uploaded to the server. For some reason, the trigger that causes the ball to bounce sometimes fails, so I simply added a solid brush instead of a hole where the ball would get stuck and make the map unplayable. This doesn’t happen if you play the map on another server, however, which is the odd part.

And the iceball is used for passing. If you slide it on the ground, it goes a further distance than a normal pass would. I’ll make the spawn shorter so players have a quicker time back to the playable area in a future update.

• Got around to make V2 while updating other maps, here is what was fixed:

• Bouncing ball spawn should finally work as intended (copied the values from Temple Sacrifice)

• Moved Iceball trigger/rink up to the upper level (was requested), and added a small Speedball booster to the old location

• Fixed the 2-point ring by making it slimmer, shortening the horizontal pathing of it, and fixing the trigger so the ball couldn’t hit the side of the ring and clip into it, causing a goal. It shouldn’t be any easier than before, just more efficient.

• Lowered the music volume by one point

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6dch3vvtno5h2j/eft_cosmic_arena_v2.bsp?dl=0

• The only issues I noticed on this map, is the dynamic light rendering causing fluctuations in fps, and the beam spam.

r_dynamiclighting 0

and then, r_drawbeams 0

• Added.

• new version is v2, however the server uses v1, which has the bug with the ballspawn. it should be changed to v2 when you have the time.

• Anyway to have the same lighting look, but way cheaper? I could just remove it since it’s not needed.

• I forgot to submit the new version of the map list when I changed this map. Should be okay now.

@dissident93:

Anyway to have the same lighting look, but way cheaper? I could just remove it since it’s not needed.

It’s not that much of a big deal.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.