Hard drive troubles with a docking station

• Having an issue with a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive in an iNeo HDD docking station when the power goes out due to a storm. When power returns and the docking station is turned on, the drive performs the symptoms of a dead drive: 3 clicks and a rev spin looping forever. The drive’s driver seems to be corrupted and Windows won’t show the drive in Disk Management or my Computer. Device Manager shows the USB Mass Storage Device with the warning icon saying “Error Code 10: The device cannot start.”

Normally this would mean the drive is dead but I’ve been able to fix this before, and this has actually happened more than once. The usual fix I’ve done was to uninstall all USB Controllers in the Device Manager and reboot, but that hasn’t worked this time. Tried mostly everything I could think of (see this link for all the things I’ve tried) and can’t think of anything else to try.

I’m pretty sure the drive isn’t dead (considering this has happened 3 or so times before) and the issue is related to either the driver on the drive being corrupted or the drive is trying to find the last start point it was at before the power went out, but is unsuccessful. Uninstalling the driver hasn’t worked so far and trying to update it results in Windows saying it’s the most up to date. The drive didn’t really have anything important on it, as it was just for games and some other stuff. Don’t really want to trash/format the drive though and would rather try to save it. Gonna look into a new external since I’m tired of it happening.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Having an issue with a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive in an iNeo HDD docking station when the power goes out due to a storm. When power returns and the docking station is turned on, the drive performs the symptoms of a dead drive: 3 clicks and a rev spin looping forever. The drive’s driver seems to be corrupted and Windows won’t show the drive in Disk Management or my Computer. Device Manager shows the USB Mass Storage Device with the warning icon saying “Error Code 10: The device cannot start.”

Normally this would mean the drive is dead but I’ve been able to fix this before, and this has actually happened more than once. The usual fix I’ve done was to uninstall all USB Controllers in the Device Manager and reboot, but that hasn’t worked this time. Tried mostly everything I could think of (see this link for all the things I’ve tried) and can’t think of anything else to try.

I’m pretty sure the drive isn’t dead (considering this has happened 3 or so times before) and the issue is related to either the driver on the drive being corrupted or the drive is trying to find the last start point it was at before the power went out, but is unsuccessful. Uninstalling the driver hasn’t worked so far and trying to update it results in Windows saying it’s the most up to date. The drive didn’t really have anything important on it, as it was just for games and some other stuff. Don’t really want to trash/format the drive though and would rather try to save it. Gonna look into a new external since I’m tired of it happening.

Anyone got any ideas?

• Found the solution on my own. Ended up finding an extra SATA cable that I didn’t know I had before and just decided to plug the drive manually into the motherboard rather than it going through the middleman docking station. Drive loaded up perfectly and runs fine, confirming my suspicion of a faulty usb driver.  I’m questioning my judgment over getting the docking station instead of just plugging the drive in the computer instead, probably gonna chalk it up to laziness (And money to spend I guess).

• I feel smarter somehow. Goodjob I guess?

• Wanted to leave an update in case someone Google searches the same issue. The drive apparently dismounted on its own last night, without leaving an error/notice of any kind. Rebooting into the BIOS showed the drive as being seen. When booting into Windows, it wanted to perform Check Disk on it. (perhaps that was the reason why it was dismounted in the first place) However, after that was performed, problems began to surface. 3 different scenarios would occur each time I would boot into Windows, but not all at the same time. Each time, the BIOS would show the drive as being visible.

Scenario 1: The drive would not be visible in Windows at all. Not seen in My Computer, Device Manager, or Disk Management. Rescanning disks in Disk Management did nothing.
    Scenario 2: The drive would appear in My Computer but listed no size, instead showing “NTFS”. Attempting to access the drive resulted in an error (Which I don’t remember). Device Manager didn’t show the drive, and launching Disk Management would cause the drive to disappear in My Computer, Disk Management wouldn’t see the drive.
    Scenario 3: The drive would appear normally and could be accessed and used as if it weren’t broken. However after around 5-10 minutes the drive would disappear again. Windows said the device was no longer available. Launching Device Manager and Disk Management wouldn’t show the drive.

Both scenario’s two and three would provide a “Do you want to format this disk” option if Rescan Disks was selected in Disk Management, but clicking cancel would still not make the drive appear.

I ended up fixing this issue from a rather strange solution. The solution was to go into your BIOS and switch the hard drive loading mode from IDE/SATA to AHCI mode, then switch back after Windows would crash.

So I went into my BIOS, switched my loading from IDE/SATA to AHCI, then booted into Windows. Sure enough, Windows blue screened after the logo appeared. Went back into the BIOS and switched back to IDE/SATA, and now the second drive works. Hasn’t disappeared so far (yet)

Looking into a replacement drive for this since it’s probably on its last legs. Anyone have any recommendations? This drive was a 2 TB one so I would be looking around the same size or greater. Not really looking for a SSD at the moment.

• @CodeBrain:

Wanted to leave an update in case someone Google searches the same issue.

Thats not how you do things. You need to edit your entire post to say “Never mind fixed. Please lock thread.”

• If you’re using it for storage and backup, I recommend a portable USB HDD. It saves space compared to a 2.5" or 3.5" hdd you have to insert into a docking station. The HDD isn’t exposed to the elements, it draws power from the USB plug so you don’t need a power cable, and you can use it with a laptop or a TV.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178745
    http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Portable-External-Storage-WDBBEP7500ABK-NESN/dp/B006Y5UV2M

I don’t know how games would play out using a USB 3.0 cable but if you’re accessing an external HDD with a hdd toaster then it wouldn’t really matter. I use an external to store movies and backup files.

• Went with a 4TB WD My Book external. Reviews were pretty good (4.5 stars with over 1695 ratings). I already copied off most of the important files already so hopefully the drive doesn’t completely die before the external comes in.

• @CodeBrain:

I already copied off most of the important files already so hopefully the drive doesn’t completely die before the external comes in.

Shouldn’t have opened my damn mouth lol

• And so it ends. The drive dismounted on its own for the last time, as it no longer appears in the BIOS. May he rest in pieces.

Data wise everything is fine since I took the time to back up absolutely everything other than Steam Games so all is well. Just have to reinstall steam and what not when the external comes in.

I’m sort of surprised the drive didn’t die sooner considering power outages have caused the drive to “die” like close to 4-5 times within the past year, and in 3 months the drive would have been 4 years old.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to NoXiousNet was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.